Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

HVLP vs HPLV Spray Guns
Posted by: NCtim
Date: June 18, 2012 05:26PM

Hiya folks,

What type of spray gun do you all prefer for bodywork, and why?

Cheers,
NCtim

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: HVLP vs HPLV Spray Guns
Posted by: roverman
Date: June 19, 2012 12:01PM

Tim, fmhe, the HVLP is the way to go. Lower air requirements and overspray, less orange peel. Bottom of the bucket would be Harbor Freight,(Chinese) and top gun would be like a "Sharp", Binks/ etc. Price range from $20-$300 ? I use a cheaper gun primers/resins, and a quality gun for eye candy. Good Luck, roverman.

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: June 19, 2012 09:08PM

Does the HVLP gun handle the thicker high build primers? I am about to pick up a gun for priming my car and I want to use high build primer.

Cheers
Byron

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(191 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Posted by: IaTR6
Date: June 20, 2012 03:25PM

For what it's worth, the instructor at a community college evening painting class advised a cheap gun works fine for primer as you will sand a good part of it off anyway. I believe he was referring to high-build primer. I have read that the Harbor Freight #43430 is not too bad for the price. I suspect, although the paint supplier could advise you, that something on the order of a 2mm for high-build, and nearer 1.4mm for finish coats. I'm sure others will add to this.
Dennis

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: June 20, 2012 06:29PM

Tim / Dennis, you are correct if you want a primer/heavy materials type gun , a 2MM tip would be best but not absolutely neccescary, the harbor fart gun ($12-20 ) works good for primer you just have to open up the fluid nozzle a great deal, and reduce your material til it flows well,we use them for primer, pva,and small paint jobs, since they are so cheap I keep one for doing clears on small jobs, but a good gun will perform better on base /clear coats particularly on overall paint jobs where you need the volume and atomization quality. The other advantage of the HF guns low price is , when you go to buy a replacement cup,the whole damn gun is cheaper than a new cup!
getting back to actual spraying,, you need to keep the primer wet as you make your passes, so if it's hot use a slow reducer or wait til its cool enough to spray with whatever you have. If you get a lot of dry spray you will end up with porosity and end up sanding off a lot of primer to get rid of it. If you are priming and get runs don't sweat it, they will sand out, practice spraying when you're priming then when you put the color on (hopefully) you will be able to put nice even coats of paint on !
Dave Craddock

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: NCtim
Date: June 21, 2012 06:46PM

Thanks Guys! I'm looking at a Fuji Mini Mite HVLP turbine complete system and wanted to check before committing. I've got a cheap HLVP Lowe's something or other that's great for painting barns and decks but I wouldn't use it on a car.

Cheers,
NCtim

rsdgeorge
Rocky George

(11 posts)

03/18/2013 08:09AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: rsdgeorge
Date: March 28, 2013 02:46PM

I bought a set of 3 guns from Northern Tool, they appear to be good quality but haven't used them yet.You get a small "touch up" gun with a 1mm tip and 2 large guns with a 1.4mm for finish coating and 1.8mm tip for priming. I got all 3 on sale for $99.95, the regular price is $169.95. Getting ready to use the large tip to prime. I am also waiting for Dave to introduce his rear valance made specifically for the RB.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 13, 2013 08:49AM

Quote:
I am also waiting for Dave to introduce his rear valance made specifically for the RB.

I wasn't aware of this. I'd be interested, as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.