Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Sparkie3006
Henry Sparkes
Near Bristol
(3 posts)

08/18/2012 11:16AM

Main British Car:
MGB GT 1968 1798

Sebring wheel arches and valences
Posted by: Sparkie3006
Date: August 18, 2012 11:31AM

Hi there,

I have a 1968 MGB GT for my first car and have had it for around a year and a half now. I need to start preparing it for the trip to Le Mans 24 Hours in June 2013 and have a lot to do.

I am looking to fit the front and rear valence, as well as the sebring wheel arches to the car but i personally dont have the expertise. Therefore I am asking if someone could please give advise with photos or in fact do it for me please!?

Thanks,

Henry Sparkes

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Sebring wheel arches and valences
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 18, 2012 01:11PM

This article will give you some idea what's involved: Installing Sebring flares.

I recall a tip Kelvin at Moss gave me several years ago: fiberglass fenders/flares tend to distort during storage and/or shipping, so it helps a lot to hang them in their proper orientation and wait (days) for them to straighten back out before trying to install them.

There are two or three companies making Sebring flares. Over here in the states, the made-in-UK fenders/flares have an absolutely rotten reputation. (Worn out tooling?) If the parts are wrong to begin with, it's somewhere between difficult and impossible to make them look right on a car. You might want to touch base with Dave at Preform Composites (in Michigan) to see what it would cost to get a set of his made-in-USA parts delivered...

Sparkie3006
Henry Sparkes
Near Bristol
(3 posts)

08/18/2012 11:16AM

Main British Car:
MGB GT 1968 1798

Posted by: Sparkie3006
Date: August 18, 2012 03:19PM

Yeah I have heard a few tails about them distorting. But thanks anyways, I may get hold of Preform Composites and see what they quote me. Just am doing it on a little bit of a budget thats all. But still want to do the job proper!

Cheers,
Henry

kerbau53
Geoff Morton
Naples, FL
(109 posts)

08/09/2010 10:27PM

Main British Car:
78 MGB Ford 5L

Posted by: kerbau53
Date: August 18, 2012 09:18PM

I'm assuming you're in Bristol UK, not Tennessee. That being the case, for alloy valances you might like to check,

[www.sportscarmetalworks.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.