Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Ronna
Paul Epps

(2 posts)

07/09/2008 10:22AM

Main British Car:

What is this?
Posted by: Ronna
Date: July 09, 2008 10:30AM

I just bought this car (or what's left of it) last night with the intent of restoring it from the ground (literally) up, but I'm still left with one question. What is it?
It's a 1962 MG and I'm pretty sure it the MGB Mark I Roadster but none of the cars I've looked at online exactly resemble it, especially the rear end. I was hoping someone with some body experience might be able to tell me.
Show me some mercy, I'm new to MG's.
P7090212.JPG

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: What is this?
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: July 09, 2008 10:51AM

You are now the proud owner of a MG Midget which has been extensivily modified. Is this the one that was in the Denver Craigslist ad last week set up for the small block Chevy? Kind of looks like the one in the ad photo. From the looks of things it has been far too modified to warrent a restoration, there are much better places to start for that, but for a hot rod MG it's a good start. The wheels appear to be from a Chevy Vega or Monza, happen to be the same lug pattern as the Midget. Don't know about the rear axle, but I suspect it's also from a Vega/Monza. By the way, welcome to the British V8 Newsletter Forums. Take a look at the photo gallery under MG Midgets for a couple of examples of what you might do with this car. It can be a lot of fun.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 09, 2008 11:35AM

Definitely a Midget... or an Austin-Healey "Sprite", which is essentially the same thing except for badges. (The Mk1 Sprite had a totally different appearance from the front, but the Mk2 Sprite and Mk1 Midget shared body panels.) Collectively, Sprites and Midgets are known as "Spridgets".

For reference, some detailed photos of Spridget bodyshells appear here: Midget bodyshell assembly

Photos of MGB bodyshells appear here: MGB bodyshell assembly

Congratulations - you'll have a lot of fun with that little car!

Ronna
Paul Epps

(2 posts)

07/09/2008 10:22AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Ronna
Date: July 09, 2008 07:23PM

Wow! You guys don't waste any time answering questions huh? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it, and I think I'll stick around on this website. I'm surprised at how helpful it is.

By the way, special thanks to Bill from Kansas City. You can expect an email from me as soon as I make my decision on what exactly I want to do with it. Also, you can expect to see the car in person as I am from Springfield and would love to drive it to a Chiefs game. :)

Paul

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: July 10, 2008 11:37AM

Paul, looking forward to meeting you and seeing the car. You're in good company down in Springfield, lots of guys from GOBMC down that way. If you haven't met them yet, you should definitely look them up. They're having their annual meet later this month over in Carthage. [gobmc.org]
If I don't make it say hi to all for me. Good folks and long time friends.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.