Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

smelfi
Steve Melfi
Alexandria Ohio
(90 posts)

04/26/2008 07:35AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB 302

authors avatar
A few dash switch and indicator lights mounting tricks
Posted by: smelfi
Date: September 01, 2013 09:49AM

In case someone might find this information useful I’m offering up how on my 77 MGB I installed my toggle switches, led indicators, and found a dimmer that works well and fits well.

I have Carling toggle switches but could not figure out how to mount them in the stock dash rectangular switch holes. I discovered that the original stock rectangular washers that are found under the first few MGB front fender top mounting bolts closest to the windshield fit perfectly in the rectangular switch holes in the dash. I covered the washers with naugahyde. As you can tell in the attached photos I didn’t use a suitable adhesive to hold the naugahyde to the washers and need to redo them.

I have LEd indicator lights from Waytek. The threaded barrel lengths of the indicators are too short to go through the dash padding and then get the nuts on them. I discovered that if you drill a hole through the dash the same diameter as the stock dash turn signal indicator holes you can shove the led indicators in a short section of fuel hose then press the fuel hose through the hole you drilled in the dash and end up with a tight and firm indictor light mounting. Before you start drilling holes it’s a good idea to test fit your indicator/hose combo in the existing turn signal indicator holes. A little extra length in the hose also serves to prevent the wires from chaffing on the edges of the metal in the back of the hole.

I installed a dimmer from a 1989 -95 Toyota 4runner. It fits well and adjusts the gauge lights linearly from full off to full brightness.

The first photo shows a couple of toggle switches and three of the LED lindicator lights.
The second shows the front view of a toggle switch, LED, and the 4runner dimmer.
The third shows the back view of the toggle swithc, LEd, and 4runner dimmer

Steve

2013-05-13 10.36.56 (450 x 600).jpg
2013-05-13 10.40.46 (450 x 600).jpg
2013-09-01 07.53.57 (450 x 600).jpg

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: A few dash switch and indicator lights mounting tricks
Posted by: mgb260
Date: September 01, 2013 01:27PM

Very cool! Steve, Now who says you can't put a round peg in a square hole! The dimmer looks factory installed on the dash.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.