Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

09/09/2011 10:06AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

need an MGB top door rail set
Posted by: DonB
Date: October 28, 2013 01:41PM

Anyone have a set of top door rails for 70-75 MG-B?

I've got the new chrome and biscuit covering, but the wood and foam padding is shot. Vicky B sells for $110 but they are talking 15 or more weeks out for delivery and Moss doesn't offer at all.
Want to get this thing done before the snow flies in Kansas, so now I'm going to try myself.
Thanks
Don B.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: need an MGB top door rail set
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 28, 2013 04:18PM

Don, here is an idea for you. On my B the rails were shot and I had some thick walnut lying around. It only took a couple of days including finishing to turn that into a pair of very handsome hardwood door rails with a lot of character in the grain patterns. I used a table saw, jointer, and belt sander to get the shape of the original, matched the back side so they fit the doors right, made them thicker than OEM, and then smoothly rounded the corners and edges for a nice look and feel. They are far, far superior to the originals and even with the urethane finish wearing off now I wouldn't trade them for anything else anyone has to offer. Plus I can always refinish them any time I like.

I know you have the tools, the time, and the ability. It just isn't that hard, and it is a fun little project that really pays off for a long time to come. You should try it. If you don't have the wood you'd like contact Paxton Lumber. They have 5 stores, one of which is in Kansas City. I know the one in Cincinnati has a stock of very beautiful exotic hardwoods and they will cut it to size or get you specials sizes if you want something out of the ordinary. It's a great way to set off your car and really give it that extra touch.

Jim

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

Date: October 28, 2013 06:01PM

Jim,
Great idea! One of my local MG pals did all the interior trim in his MGC-GT in walnut and it is drop dead cool. I've had some luck in the past with both walnut and quartersawn oak on some furniture projects.

However, I'm doing the interior with MG-Biscuit so I guess I'll really need some "exotic" woods to get that yellowl/tan color match!

I bought some closed cell foam today and am in the process of protyping a pad to go on the original wood frame... then plan to cover with new material. Better go see of the glue is dry... Hope I didn't glue it to the top of my table saw!!! If it holds, think I can use air grinder/cutoff wheel to shape the foam edges. Keep you posted.
Cheers and thanks
Don B.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 28, 2013 06:35PM

Don, a little less than halfway down this page:
[www.britishv8.org]
is a shot of the door with rail, panel and pocket. With the right woods you can make it about any color you like. I used a native local walnut and Birch hardwood laminated door skins.

Jim

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

Date: October 30, 2013 10:05AM

Jim.
Nice looking job!

I think I've found a source last night. Guy is searching his inventory and I should know today.

Noting your door speaker location.... I went into the outer wall of the footwells L & R, built a waterproof surround out of two tupperware bowls and fiberglass sealer (knowing the interfender splash shields leak like a sieve) before mounting the fender, and secured my speakers there. We'll see.

In any case, thanks for the suggestions.
Don B.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: November 23, 2013 11:12PM

Something else to consider-

I look at 1970's MGBs with the thick door top rail very similar to looking at shag carpet. I personally do not like either.

The 1968-1969 and probably 1970 door top rail is thin and just looks nicer, not over-padded like much of the stuff was overstuffed in the 1970's. Even the wood door caps that I enjoy are thinner. They just look better when they don't hang out- probably because they look taller.

Whatever the case, look for 68-69 models and see if you can figure out what i am talking about.

To each his own.

-BMC.

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

Date: November 29, 2013 03:45PM

Great shots and suggestions... found a firm on Ebay offering new (black only) so they ordered a new set for me (in biscuit) from UK firm who makes perfect repops. A little pricey but I didn't want to spend any more time than I already had...

You can look them over next spring in Colorado.
Again, Thanks
Don B.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.