Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Post your Gauges, Switches, Dash Designs or interesting dash items
Posted by: BMC
Date: November 14, 2013 10:18PM

One thing we concentrate on in any build is the dashboard design, gauge type, switches and overall flow. There are so many ways people build a dash and many follow the standard pattern but some take a different path. The car may look nice but if you sit behind a boring or beat up dashboard, one should ask themselves- does it fit the overall flow and build requirements of the project? The dash is the most mechanical part of the interior and the most overshadowed item. Often, we speak more of seats, steering wheel and soft tops than the dash in comparison to the complexities to what a dash should be. Even looking at an MGRV8 dash from the 1990's gives an idea of what could be- or what could be improved upon!

So. My Request:
Please post photos of interesting gauges, switches and dashboard ideas here. Please include sites offering said components.

Let me start off with a couple companies in the U.K. with specific links to some neat products:
(These links were just shared with me- I did not know of their existence previously)

[www.carbuildersolutions.com]

[www.europaspares.com]

A photo from car builder solutions:
http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/content/images/thumbs/0017801_350.jpeg

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Post your Gauges, Switches, Dash Designs or interesting dash items
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 14, 2013 11:59PM

Good idea for a thread!

I guess everyone has seen my car, but I'll post a couple snapshots here anyhow:

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/InstrumentPanel.jpg
Unmarked switches are a theft deterrent, and contribute to "the James Bond look".
Although designed to be easily removable for service or upgrades, this instrument
panel served without modification from 1991 until 2013. Originally, a fuse panel was
mounted on the back side. (As part of an EFI installation, I decided to add several
relays and make the long-overdue upgrade from glass fuses to blade fuses.)
I don't like the cheesy aftermarket horn switch but the price was right (i.e. free)
and I haven't found one that suits better.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/ElectricalCenter.jpg
An intake air temperature (IAT) sensor is installed between the new fuse/relay center
and an MS3-Pro ECU. Cables to the switch/gauge panel will pull out about eight
inches further. It attaches with three Metri-Pack connectors. The oil pressure gauge
is mechanical, and in this view you can see the hose that connects to it.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/CurtisJacobson-BH.jpg
This is actually an older photo. While I had things apart this spring, I polished all the
aluminum parts to a bright shine. (Hopefully they'll dull back down to a nice, even
patina.) The mismatched gauges don't appeal to me aesthetically, but they're all
working fine so I'm not feeling very motivated to make changes...

Okay, who's next!

Charles
Charles Long
McDonald, TN
(177 posts)

09/15/2013 08:54AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB V6 1994 Camaro 3.4L 60V6

authors avatar
Posted by: Charles
Date: November 15, 2013 09:06AM

Curtis, If you like it I love it. The panel looks a whole lot like a 19 inch rack drawer cover. I am currently starting the process of upgrading our 66 MGB to a 60v6. One of the changes will be all electronic gauges to include the GPS speedometer.

charles

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 16, 2013 06:34PM

I like the idea of your removable centre section. Jaguar had a very classy way to do this- they inset the central portion of the E-Type and S-Type (and most likely others) dashboards to the point where you don't know that the dash can be opened up within 90 seconds.
IMG_5534.jpg

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 16, 2013 06:35PM

Second photo.
IMG_5552.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2013 06:36PM by BMC.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 16, 2013 06:37PM

Close-up. (replacement as last one is not showing)
1965-Jaguar-S-Type-bmcautos_com.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 11:28AM by BMC.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 16, 2013 06:39PM

I really like the way you did this Curtis! Also love the MG horn button. What was that out of? I think I have seen the same one on the 61-62 Midget and the MG 1100 but other than the Austin Healey Sprite Lightening bolt, those have not been available for years- or so i thought.

-BMC.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 20, 2013 02:07PM

Those Jaguar photos are excellent. I had no idea their dashboards came apart like that. Way cool.

My MG horn button came with my car when I got her, but I'd always assumed it was from an aftermarket steering wheel. I wish it were a higher quality part. The MG logo is printed off-center on the aluminum bit in the middle. It's the last MG badge displayed anywhere on my car, so I won't delete it without adding another MG badge somewhere.

Okay... someone else's turn. Let's see them guys!

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: November 20, 2013 07:19PM

This is Brenda's GT dash that I'm working on that is about half way done. Using Autometer Phantom gauges. Probably use 1/4" led turn signal lights between the Tach and Speedo and maybe one for the high beam. I have one more matching clock gauge that will go into the console somewhere. But it is a start. Not to much room on an early dash! Used Billet Specialties ac vents like a few others have.

2013-11-17 15.58.44.jpg

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 22, 2013 06:05PM

Great appearance Calvin.

Is that a steel surround instead of the plastic one around the two large instruments? I can only imagine how many hours this took to this point but I'm sure it will be worth it.

What are plans for switches and where?

-BMC.

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 23, 2013 10:58AM

Hi Brian,

That is a plastic surround as in the original one. This is an android photo so it doesn't do it justice. In the center will be using a series of toggle switches. We won't be using the original steering column. Brenda opted to use the Flaming River 17" Mini tilt steering column. Switches will need to operate headlights, electric windows, maybe high beams, fan, and etc. There is a hole under the Speedo on the bottom I'm going to fill in, if it is not for some tool access, and install an Autometer dimmer switch. In the end it will be painted the color of the car.

I do like the look of a finished look of body color on the dash. It reminds me of the Porsche 356 B Cab my Dad had when growing up. Didn't really like the Pillow dash to much, but some have striped that down and made them look good also.

Calvin

rporter
Richard Porter

(16 posts)

03/22/2010 07:39AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: rporter
Date: November 23, 2013 12:56PM

Triumph GT6 center panel comes out and has loads of room to rearrange stuff a little more ergonomically. I am moving my ignition switch there and installing a miata heartier blower switch. Both fit perfectly and look like they belong there.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 23, 2013 09:13PM

I like the ideas Calvin.

Richard, I did not think of the Spitfire/GT6 centre... That is great.

So if I ever decide to rearrange my dashboard, I might consider one of these designs. I think all the dashboard recreations in MGBs i have noted are one piece. A few years ago I was looking at a separate portion for the gauge pod. I have the sample out in one of the sheds. If it can be blended so it is hard to tell like the S-Type post above, I would consider that.

I look forward to additional interesting gauges and more dash items being post. There are so many possibilities and I think that the dash in most of our cars, as nice as we are building them could be done as much as some guys are placing in their external bodywork. I'm not sure I have the time to build a contour dash for my own project or a multi-layer dashboard, but there are some ideas seen out there that could make for interesting possibilities.

-BMC.

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: November 24, 2013 11:27PM

Everyone is probably sick of seeing pictures of my car by now, but just in case there are some noobies that haven't seen it yet, and you did ask....

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DanMasters/DanMasters-FB.jpg

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 25, 2013 11:02AM

Dan,

Brenda Is not sick of looking at your dash and neither am I! She wanted me to copy It. I said I need to change it some if I can. She said don't make it look bad. So added a gauge and some bigger led lights. Switches out on the market, how reliable are they? So going to use some good toggle switches. I don't need them to fail on me.

jblanchard@hcpg.net
Jeb Blanchard
Collierville, TN
(53 posts)

12/07/2007 01:01PM

Main British Car:
1961 MGA Chevy 4.3 Vortec V-6

authors avatar
Posted by: jblanchard@hcpg.net
Date: November 25, 2013 01:55PM

Here are a few photos of my Universal Dakota Digital dash. I dressed up the dash by adding toggle switches in addition to a starter button. Going digital allowed easy calibration of speedometer and accurate temperature readings.

[www.dakotadigital.com]

Front Dash.jpg

Justdashrear.jpg

Interior Modified MGA.jpg

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: November 27, 2013 11:34AM

Ya need a few more switches, Dan. ;)

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 27, 2013 06:40PM

I like the way Dan's dash has receptacles on the side instead of the face.

Jeb, because you placed the switches on a step down/step back, gives it a very smooth appearance.

-BMC.

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: November 27, 2013 07:34PM

Quote:
Ya need a few more switches, Dan. ;)

Carl,

I have a couple more switches hidden away !

Quote:
Switches out on the market, how reliable are they? So going to use some good toggle switches

Calvin,

Are you looking for metal toggle switches like I used? If so, I used Carling metal sealed switches I bought from [www.waytekwire.com] All the heavy loads are switched with relays, so the switches should last a long time. One problem with using standard toggle switches - you can't get the correct switch configurations for the headlight, heater and wiper switches.

For the headlight switch, I used a three position center-off DPDT switch wired so that down is parking lamps, center is off, and up is headlights and parking lights.

Same for the heater switch if I had used the stock two speed heater fan - down for low, center off, up for high.

For the wipers, I had to use two switches, one for on-off and one for hi-lo. Let me know if you decide to do that and I can send you the diagram.

I may have enough spares left over from other projects to do your car. Let me know what you need and I can make you a deal if I have all you need.

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

09/09/2011 10:06AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

Posted by: DonB
Date: December 01, 2013 04:32PM

Boy, I wish I had seen these before I started! Great ideas and workmanship....

Here a pic... and you can see It's still in progress.

I stole my original concept from Bill Davidson's MGB-GT... using bed liner on the surface to replicate the 60 racer's look. Dash is a early B steel dash, hacked out of a car headed for the smasher. I filled and then rebored all the holes to mount TPI Tech insturments (tan face) to go with bisket interior. Also drilled for L/R A/C vents in the corners. Didn't think I could afford the space to hang them below in the leg well.

Center air vents were placed horizonaltly in radio slot (no changes required) and then modified center console to handle radio and heater controls, added a clock and, just above radio slot, is a pop out double drink holder from a late model Honda.

I clustered fuel, oil pressure and temp gauges close to tach/speedo and electrics to the far right. used original sloted holes for turn sigs and drilled for hi beam indicator in the center of them.

Use standard MG switches mounted upside down (I prefer off to be down with the sweep of the hand), added a power outlet and a "snappy" red start button for the hell of it! 3 position switches for lights and wipers, 2 position for a cooling fan for additional radiator I stashed horizontally behind the front valance.

Based on info I have... the Lucas wiper switch #35927 coupled with the Lucas 14W motor will give you hig/low/park and off. Make sure you have correct base pad and rubber covered strap to aviod thhat awful grinding sound!
IMG_0217.JPG
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.