Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

09/09/2011 10:06AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

"Hidden" antenna for MG-B roadster
Posted by: DonB
Date: December 11, 2013 05:31PM

I'm in need of a hidden antenna for my 71 MG-B roadster. I have a very simple system (Sony DSX-S100) with 4 speakers... no power adders or other audio equipment. Amazon, EBay and others offer a huge selection. However, in reading the user comments most seem dissatisfied to Very dissatisfied with the results. Local stations (in town) fine, Highway cruising, very poor.

Common complaint/explanation is... steel body blocks the signal. Given I'm not drilling anymore holes in fenders, etc. or removing my sealed up inner splash panels....

That explanation would seem to exclude under the dash, under the rear deck panel, and the trunk. Anyone ever run one down between the transmission tunnel and the pre-formed carpet tunnel cover?

Given all the previous creative solutions in this forum... got some ideas or a product for me?
Thanks
Don B.

63BlueMGB
Nick B
Kansas City, Mo.
(96 posts)

01/16/2011 05:17PM

Main British Car:
1963 MGB

authors avatar
Re: "Hidden" antenna for MG-B roadster
Posted by: 63BlueMGB
Date: December 11, 2013 08:54PM

Hello Don

I really like the way the later BMW and other vehicles combined there rear defrosters to AM/FM antenna. Obivously the rodster does not have a defroster but it could simply be done on the MGB. You would have to paint some defroster lines on the Bottom, Top, or around your front window and affix an attachment point, but it could very easily be done and I think that you reception would be better than most antennna's. Very little work needed. Here are a couple threads i did a quick search on, but it gives you the idea of what I am talking about. What do you think? No holes or drilling needed!

I will probably doing something similiar to my MGB roadster once I get to the radio!

[www.bimmerfest.com]

[www.ek9.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 09:03PM by 63BlueMGB.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 11, 2013 09:46PM

There are hidden antennas. I've not tried them but have been doing a little research. While not necessarily a scientific evaluation, this write up was interesting.

[www.gadgetjq.com]

At just about $20, I'm going to try a powered one mounted just above the trans tunnel on the vertical panel to the package tray.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 09:47PM by rficalora.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 12, 2013 11:35AM

Don, the signal from an antenna is extremely weak and needs almost nothing in the form of a conductor, however the lower the resistance, the better. So to that end, a very fine single strand wire can be taped to the top edge of the inside of the windshield using a premium quality clear adhesive tape. Silver is slightly better than copper and carbon fiber is 2/3 the resistance of copper so significantly better but somewhat difficult to terminate.

The length of this conductor should be an even fraction of a wavelength, or in this case the same length as a fixed length FM antenna. A small coaxial cable can go from there to a signal amplifier or to the receiver. If it is grounded to the windshield frame, the frame becomes an additional antenna element. You can try it both ways and see which works better, the shield does not have to be grounded on this end. The OEM's used a balanced bipole here, cutting the length in half and connecting the center conductor to one and the shield to the other, with a center feed. You can do it either way, but getting the coax up to the center of the windshield gets a little messy. For the single element it can run up inside the hollow door seal weatherstrip bulb.

Jim

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: December 18, 2013 04:50PM

We placed an internal antennae/aerial in the last GT up the glass. No reason a person couldn't do this on a convertible as well although it would be more noticed unless placed behind the door seal that is mounted to the glass.

-BMC.

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

09/09/2011 10:06AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

Posted by: DonB
Date: January 08, 2014 01:01PM

Hi Fellows!
Thanks for the ideas... I combined a couple suggestions and it's working fine in the garage...

I used Brian's suggestion of a small dia. wire (22 gauge coated magnet) attached to a simple short antenna lead from O'Rileys for under the dash. After a bit of calculation, selected 34" for AM/FM wave lengths.

Initally tried to tape to inside of windshield glass but couldn't make it look semi-professional in appearance (after routing thru door seal rubber).
Bill Davidson came over and suggested I tape it under the lip of the padded dash crash rail... and it works great on all local stations... we'll see on the (yet to be) first road trip.

Can't be seen, up as high as I can go (other than windscreen) and not under any steel body.

We'll see
Thanks guys
Don B.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.