Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

TR6-6SPD
Ken Hiebert
Toronto Ontario
(255 posts)

04/23/2008 11:43AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1994 5.7 L GM LT1

authors avatar
Re: Custom fenders
Posted by: TR6-6SPD
Date: March 12, 2014 11:17AM

Jim,
I took some photos of Richard Maury's 1971 XKE Coupe last June when I was in Richmond Va. He had a body shop rework his fenders to fit some huge tires. I actually called the body shop and spoke to them about it. I think I have a plan but I'll never refuse advice.
Here are some photos of Dick's car:
IMG_6527.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

Fred,
LOL. You break me up sometimes.
I'm building the car mostly to piss off the purists.
Ken

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: March 12, 2014 03:16PM

That is exactly what I was trying to describe. Those are gorgeous flares. Be sure to preserve the wheel arch shape like he did. Like to hear what your plan is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 11:55AM by Jim Stabe.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: March 15, 2014 11:17AM

Wow, that is one sexy ride!

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: March 22, 2014 06:16PM

I've always been an E-Type lover, even have a cat named E-Type.

Paul

GT8MX
Bill Wessale
Houston
(43 posts)

01/10/2014 11:28AM

Main British Car:
1968 Spitfire GT6 BOP 215 / Rover of some lineage

Posted by: GT8MX
Date: May 02, 2014 11:21AM

I've been silent for a couple of months, but I took Jim's advice and I called several folks that offer workshops and finally settled on Jere Kirkpatck. I found him through one of the links Jim recommended: allmetalshapers.com Most of the workshops / classes were either demos or were scheduled too far in the future.
I just completed a metal shaping class with Jere Kirkpatrick at Valley Forge & Welding in Willits CA [www.jerekirkpatrick.com]. There were supposed to be five students, but there were only three of us. I recommend it for a noob like me. It was excellent.
Jere has a lifetime (literally) of experience metal shaping and presents it in a warm, humorous, logical manner. He is careful not to move on until everyone has all their questions answered. He encourages questions, and does an excellent job of answering them.
Jere gives you the knowledge to understand the methods to use (there are choices, of course) and to select the tools that will be sufficient, and more importantly, to avoid those tools that are attractively priced, but will cause constant frustration and wasted time. For instance, he showed how he re-built - completely - a HF english wheel to make it usable. He even turned the dies to remove runout and replaced the bearings. He uses HF as a source of materials, not tools.
If you can, I recommend you purchase at least one extra day so you can spend time with Jere on your project to get his guidance and get some hands-on experience doing what he has introduced the previous two days. It really helps to pull all the information together. Jere is patient and judicious. He doesn't hover over you. He lets you make errors and only speak up if you ask or he sees that what you are doing will lead to a train wreck.
Ask Jere about his time at Shelby American and the DragonSnake. :) Fascinating.
I brought home a marked up layout for my fenders and practiced making templates along station lines. I brought back a hood scoop I made that I don't have a plan to use, but it required a little of of lot of skills and is just plain cool!
I also brought back a Cobra/Henrob/Dillon welding torch, slick gas saver device, and a deep-throat tucking fork (I disavow all responsibility for you being arrested by saying this incorrectly in public).
Now I need to make room in my garage for new toys like an english wheel and bead roller. Dang.

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: May 02, 2014 09:01PM

Another addict has been created. We expect to see lots of pictures of your work - both the stuff you use and the "learning experiences".

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: May 03, 2014 08:24AM

Bill, I admire the zeal that you are displaying, like Jim said another addict created, LOL BTW; could you document the mods on the HF wheel,,, as I have one, thx.
Dave

TR6-6SPD
Ken Hiebert
Toronto Ontario
(255 posts)

04/23/2008 11:43AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1994 5.7 L GM LT1

authors avatar
Posted by: TR6-6SPD
Date: May 03, 2014 12:48PM

Bill,
Good to see you've resurfaced. Sometimes you never know about people. Sounds like you're going about this in a very logical fashion.
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but maybe this will add to the subject. Jim Stabe was asking about my plans for the Jaguar fender flares. I might do something similar to what Dick Maury had done to his 1971 E-type, the car in the photos above. Here are some photos from the construction stage of his car taken from his website. You can see more on his website from this link, (select 1971 XKE Coupe, right hand side)
[www.georgiajag.com]

Area cut out:
image081_jpg.jpg

Flares appear to be made from several panels stiched together:
Dick M..jpg

In primer:
image086_jpg.jpg

Finished:
IMG_6552.JPG

Thanks to Dick Maury for permitting me to use his photos.

Dick can really drive that puppy of his. Here's proof:

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.