Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

09/09/2011 10:06AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

Seat belt Issues
Posted by: DonB
Date: March 13, 2014 05:26PM

In placing the seat belts and retractors, I’ve hit a snag. It’s a 71 MG-B roadster, fitted with Fiero seats and I have the standard retractor MG units. I will not be racing or serious autocross, so don’t think I’ll need the required heavy duty rigs or 5 point stuff.

1.) Mr. Mike covers (which look great) lack a “latch” or keeper to hold belt at the corner of the fitted (and non-adjustable) headrests. Any thoughts? Is he still in business? Couldn’t get his E-mail to work.

2.) Struggling with “best” location for the retractors. I like to run with a half-tonneau, when ever possible. However, the location of the tonneau support frame seems to dictate mounting retractors as low as possible on the inside of wheel arches. That traditional location seems to rob precious space on the package shelf and makes opening the battery storage area more difficult.

3.) Anyone try splitting the vertical portion of the tonneau for the belts (sew in velcro tabs to refasten) and mounting the retractors on the top of the wheel wells, just below the line of the tonneau vs. the side?
Other ideas or pics? Got plenty of low position mount pics in Moss and V/B catalogs…. Yes, I'll be reinforcing the mounting locations with welded steel plate for strength.
Thanks
Don B.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Seat belt Issues
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 15, 2014 07:08PM

He's still in business. mrmikes.com. contact info there.

Not sure I'm following the detractors placement question. You'll want to use the factory spot as it is properly reinforced. Anywhere else and you'll need to reinforce so it doesn't pull out in an accident. Also don't go so low that it pulls down on your shoulder/spine in an accident.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.