Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(191 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

painting order recommendations
Posted by: IaTR6
Date: September 03, 2014 12:27PM

For those of you who have painted your own car, or assisted: I am unsure about the order of painting. Should I take all the wings etc. off so I can paint in the semi-hidden areas such as the door jams, and then reassemble for overall painting? Or should I paint the assembled car, trying to get into the overlap between the wings and the A and B posts? Oh, this is a TR6. Would you even consider painting all the pieces, doors, wings, bonnet, etc individually, and then assemble without scratching?
Thanks,
Dennis

JWD
Jim Durham
Gig Harbor, Wa.
(103 posts)

01/22/2013 11:43AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Ford 302 (398.9 HP, 383.2 TQ)

Re: painting order recommendations
Posted by: JWD
Date: September 03, 2014 01:49PM

I completely dis-assemble every car I paint. If you're painting a non-metallic color, the orientation of the panels doesn't matter. With metallic paint, the panel HAS to be sprayed in the same position as when it's installed in order for the metallic to lay the same as on adjoining panels. If not, it will end up looking completely different. When you re-assemble the panels, use blue masking tape on all the edges and you'll be fine. I've been doing that way for decades with no problems. Good luck.

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: September 03, 2014 02:39PM

I had my TR6 painted in pieces and then we assembled it very carefully. The big challenge is to get the doors adjusted with out chipping the edges. The critical part of the door to watch is at the crease. When you open the door the outside part of the crease can contact the inner part of the crease on the front fender and the paint will get chipped.

Cheers
Byron

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(191 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Posted by: IaTR6
Date: September 06, 2014 12:19PM

Jim and Byron, Thanks for the replies. I guess I have answered my own question to some extent as I have the doors and front wings off already. I plan to "jam " paint, reassemble, and paint as a whole. Wish me luck!
Thanks,
Dennis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.