Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
A nifty alternative to conventional fender flares for MGB
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 17, 2008 03:34PM

John Mangles at All-British Car Repair in St Louis is one of BritishV8's most reliable vendor sponsors.

Earlier today, John pointed out a subtle but very trick construction detail that he did for Ken Bierman's MGB V8...

John built-out the MGB quarterpanels by about 1/2 inch on either side to provide extra tire clearance without an obvious flared effect. To see what I'm talking about, stare at the following photo, and specifically look at the stainless steel trim that runs down the side of the MGB. Notice that the feature line in the quarterpanel (which would normally be a consistent width all along its length) has been built outward. Cool, eh?

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/st/stlouiscarmuseum/MGB69VertCrm33.jpg

This trick is so subtle... you can't see it at all in this view:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/st/stlouiscarmuseum/MGB69VertCrm27.jpg

(What a pity that Ken didn't live to show-off this completed MGB V8 project in person. Ken was a a true gentleman, a supporter of BritishV8, and he was sorely missed at this year's meet.)

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: A nifty alternative to conventional fender flares for MGB
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: October 17, 2008 04:04PM

Not to mention a daring soul to ride the Dragon with me. :)

Well, earlier today I had wondered if that V8 car on Ebay was Ken's. Great car!

Yep, we sure missed his smilin' face at this year's V8 Meet & at Ted's Winter Party.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 28, 2008 05:27PM

There are a couple other real nice and unusual features in this car's bodywork...

Notice the way the inner fenders ("aprons") have been bell-mouthed downward in the area around the through-the-fender headers:

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/KenBiermann/KenBiermann-BA.jpg

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/KenBiermann/KenBiermann-BB.jpg

More here: Ken's MGB V8

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: October 29, 2008 06:34PM

Yeah, i'd noticed that the other day... I like it... gives it a way more finished look.

Never having done body work before my current project, I wondered how good you have to be with your metal working skills to do that... in particular, where you tie those pieces into the existing inner fenders --- if you can't get a perfectly smooth seam & have to use bondo -- even done properly, very thin, will it hold up with the extreme temp fluctuations around the headers?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 29, 2008 10:06PM

It shouldn't be that hard to get a decent job, once you have the edges of the opening laid out. I would leave 1/2 to 1" of extra metal and then it's hammer and dolly work with a torch kept handy for stretching and annealing the metal. Use the hammer and dolly also to take out any warpage as you go. Take your time and just work the edges down gradually, use a dolly with a small radiused edge and I think you could make a real nice job of it.

Jim

djw090
David Witham
Warwick UK
(115 posts)

06/12/2008 11:20AM

Main British Car:
MGB 1974 and MG ZT 160 turbo 2005

Posted by: djw090
Date: November 06, 2008 08:54AM

On those flares do you think he has streched the panel out of do has he cut it above the wheel arch and let some metal in?

Depending on how much you need another option it to make the rear arch the same shape as the front and loose the cut off look. That is sometimes called a university motors arch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.