Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Anyone else run higher wattage headlights?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 12, 2015 07:02PM

My headlights weren't very good, so I tried replacing the bulbs with 100/90 bulbs. I had relays already and since Moss sells a relay kit and higher watt rated bulbs, I figured the wire in the buckets was gauged acceptably (although I didn't check). Anyway, after a fee years now my headlights were fogged up, yellowing and the reflectors were dingy and tarnished so I decided to replace rather than use one of those polishing kits. Glad I did as this is what I found when I took them out... I've gone back to 60/55's in the new headlights till I find out if the sockets I got can handle the heat from brighter bulbs!
IMAG1214_20150712_180207.jpg

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Re: Anyone else run higher wattage headlights?
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: July 12, 2015 07:21PM

Hey Rob,

Were those new head light connectors? Looks like they got very hot. Do you have anything between the connection and the bulb, like a thick rubber boot used like a barrier for the heat your bulbs put out? I remember I had some Marshall head lights that had a convex mirror inside. On the back where the connector would attach, it had this thick boot around the back of the bulb.

Orange Alpine
Bill Blue

(45 posts)

12/20/2010 07:36AM

Main British Car:
1967 Sunbeam Alpine 2.5 Ford Duratec

Posted by: Orange Alpine
Date: July 12, 2015 08:07PM

I went the other way. LED's. Here is a pic. Guess which light is the H24.

[www.sunbeamalpine.org]

Hate to link to another forum, but that is the only way I can see the pic! When I go directly to Photobucket, can't find it.

They are pricey, but if your looking for visibility, damned hard to beat and legal!

Bill

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 12, 2015 08:34PM

The connectors were the originals from '76 (one of the few actual OEM parts left on my car). They are now the new connectors that came with my wiring harness. The headlights had a rubber boot (as do the new ones), but they're just designed to keep moisture out and are open where the plug connects.

40indianss
don foote

(83 posts)

08/01/2013 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 40indianss
Date: July 12, 2015 11:41PM

amazon has ceramic connectors with an insulator boot surround down side is they come with 14 or 16 gauge wire to the female connectors so one should upgrade to 12 gauge from relay to socket that should eliminate the meltdown issue less than $10 for two if I remember correctly and appear to be good quality as I bought multiple sets for several projects

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.