Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: windshield wiper kit???
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: February 20, 2017 12:05PM

Whew..glad it's all working out.. I was just kinda winging it there for a while ;-).
Nothing special about the gear alignment. Just plop it in. But be careful with the park switch. It's a fragile, fiddly little thing.
The factory mount for that motor is just a big rubber covered strap.
It works well but leaves something to be desired on the aeshtetic side.
Make sure that it is insulated or you will hear the motor whine through out the entire car.

Cheers
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 12:10PM by DiDueColpi.

maxwedge5281
larry ingram
south carolina
(52 posts)

09/23/2014 05:59AM

Main British Car:
59 bn6 zz4 sbc 200 4R aod, 59bn6 302 ford, tremec

Posted by: maxwedge5281
Date: February 22, 2017 07:32AM

fred, if i wanted to eliminate the healey on-off switch ....and use a three way toggle switch...on-off-on...instead, could i just tie the switched power wire into the healey switch together to the wire going to 86 on the relay? since i have an overdrive toggle switch on one side of the gauges i could match up the on-off-on toggle switch on the other side of the gauges and do away with the original healey wiper seitch. if i cant do this, no problem! also, i have about 20 degrees of excess sweep. where would i fine another gear and arm? or can i just shorten the actuating arm by maybe 3/16 inch? otherwise everything seems to be working well. i have not messed with the park feature...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 04:44PM by maxwedge5281.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 22, 2017 09:29PM

Removing the Healey on off switch is do-able, but it would require the use of a DPDT center off switch in place of the speed switch or another relay .
Otherwise you would lose control of the park feature.
If you can find a switch that matches in the DPDT configuration I'lI draw up the wiring for you or show you how to do it with relays.
The sweep is adjustable by swapping out gears.
Larger wiper pivot gears will reduce the sweep or a shorter stroke motor transmission gear (smaller number stamped on gear) will reduce the sweep.
Shortening the connecting arm won't affect the sweep of the wipers.

Cheers
Fred

maxwedge5281
larry ingram
south carolina
(52 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 23, 2017 05:18AM

well it seems to be working fine except for the excess sweep. i believe that the tr6 sweep is 115 degrees and the mgb is 105. degrees. ill call moss tomorrow and order a 105 degree drive wheel. thanks again.. not sure about the park feature yet.

maxwedge5281
larry ingram
south carolina
(52 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 01, 2017 12:51PM

i got the 105 degree gear drive yesterday and installed it this morning. the 105 degree gear drive works just fine with the healey windshield and wipers. the mgb motor is the same as the tr6 with the exception of the degrees of sweep the tr6 is 115 degrees which is way to much for the healey windshield. the mgb 105 degree sweep is just right!!! very aggravating project!!! as a note, i have not gotten the self park feature to work so i will park the wipers manually which aint no big deal to me! thanks to fred for all his help!!

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 01, 2017 01:11PM

Grab a test light and check the N/LG wire going to terminal 87a on the relay.
With the motor running it should have + power for most of the sweep with a short - ground pulse at the park position.
If nothing happens then the park switch is burnt out or the + power on the GK wire to the motor and term 87 of the relay is missing.
If that all checks out then the problem probably lies with the spdt speed switch.

maxwedge5281
larry ingram
south carolina
(52 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 03, 2017 03:26PM

fred, i was checking out the operation of the wipers. yes, the N/LG wire when checked with a test light does blink . but the park position blinks with the wipers on the wrong side but does not park the blades...motor continues to run. and with the n/LG wire connected to 87a terminal of the relay the on-off switch will not shut the power off to the relay. im not concerned about the park feature as it is very easy to manually park the wipers in the slow mode. but i am cutious about why the park feature effects the relay as it does. no hurry for an answer just curious. and again, thanks for your time and input.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 03, 2017 04:50PM

I'm going to assume that you went ahead with your plan to move the wiper motor to the opposite side of the car.
Doing that will cause the wipers to park on the opposite side as well.
The fix is to rotate the wiper arm boxes 180 degrees to reverse their operation.
This will restore the original parking position.
Just to add some more confusion, you can rotate just one box and have the "clapping hands" style of wiper action.
Depending upon which box you reverse the wipers will now park both inside or both outside.
With the relay issue, there must be a wiring discrepancy or a relay fault.
With the Healey switch off, all energizing power for the relay is removed.
So it should not be possible for it to remain energized.

Hope that helps some
Cheers
Fred
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.