Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

exfed12825
Tony Gentile
Waterford, Pa
(61 posts)

03/30/2016 02:43PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB 347ci Bessel Motorsports/ Ford stroker 530 hp

Lets Talk Windshields
Posted by: exfed12825
Date: April 30, 2017 05:25PM

Last year I got caught in a rain storm and water was coming in under the windshield and around the pillars it soaked my Fast 2 Fuel injection computer and knocked out the program. I was able to get home in limp mode, but it cost me $700.00 to get the car dynode again. Not wanting this to happen again I ordered new bottom seal and pillar seals. I pulled the windshield and stripped the old seals off and then. Well Murphy's law kicked in. First I couldn't get the new bottom seal in so next I tried to pull one pillar post so I could slide it on the track. I pulled a couple of screws of the bottom of the post and went to flip the windshield over so I could get to the top screws and the damn thing cracked. I put down the screwdriver said a few choice words, turned out the lights, and closed the barn door. I've heard that replacing the windshield is pretty tough. I think I'll check with the British car garage in Pittsburgh I called him once about a chrome windshield frame, but I didn't save the number. Anybody out there with any information on this guy, or someplace where I can buy a complete windshield assembly already put together with new seals.

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Re: Lets Talk Windshields
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: April 30, 2017 06:32PM

Tony, as you all ready know, the W/S job is a B---h. The bottom seal is very difficult to install since the replacements are all so stiff. The short screws at at the corner of the frame have a specific hole to be installed into. there is 1 shortest on each side and it goes to extreme inside. the others are all alike and install in the remaining screw holes. I found it less problematic to remove the dash and do the W/S to cowl install w/o fiddling with trying to align the 4 bolts. Note: I also have Old GM hood bolts to line up the holes at first. Moss has a Triplex (owned by Pilkington) modified W/S that helps eliminate the problem with the wrong screws, but best to use the correct sequence. Once upon a time, the bottom seal was very pliable and i could install it w/o too much problem. Last W/S we did, I paid a man to install the bottom seal and just installed the W/S to car. Maybe a individual has a complete W/S assembly, but finding him is a problem. Maybe an Ad in several Brit Boards could turn one up. Good Luck!!

exfed12825
Tony Gentile
Waterford, Pa
(61 posts)

03/30/2016 02:43PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB 347ci Bessel Motorsports/ Ford stroker 530 hp

Re: Lets Talk Windshields
Posted by: exfed12825
Date: May 02, 2017 06:14PM

I was looking over the windshield frame and the corner brackets are pop riveted in on the bottom I haven't tried to drill them out yet but I'm pretty sure that the threads are gone and that is the reason for the rivets

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.