Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

1MGBV8
Paul Waters

(13 posts)

10/24/2007 03:12PM

Main British Car:

Old School MGB
Posted by: 1MGBV8
Date: November 23, 2007 01:46AM

I thought I'd put some pictures up on the body mods I'm doing on my MGB V8. Before I started this project I was gathering information on a possible Rat rod build. My budget couldn't afford the body parts and so I went with the MGB V8 project. I have had several MGB's over the years but not one with a V8. The MGB parts are far cheaper than anything doing with a Rat rod build.
So my approach has been to build a car similar to the way it may have been built by a hot rodder in the mid 60's. To that end I have installed a set of 1966 mustang 4 lug wheels purchased from Craig's list . They fit fine and the back spacing clears the disc brakes in the front. I added some beauty rims and have the front dust caps chromed. I'm also adding 1963-67 Corvette taillights. The angle of these light bezels is the same as the angle on the tail light of the B.
I purchased some used ones on e-bay to help fit them. The entire set of 4 new ones with sockets and lenses is about $200. I'm also thinking of using one for the exhaust outlet bezels. I have one wired up in the back and it looks pretty good. It will take a 2" exhaust pipe without any mods. Note: Those are water bottle tops standing in for the lenses.
I'm putting in a 3.5 Rover and replacing the Rover valve covers with original Buick covers that have been chrome plated.
The front and rear will receive Sebring valances and a C fiberglass hood. I'll put up more pictures as work proceeds.
OSB 2.jpg
OSB 3.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Old School MGB
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 24, 2007 05:28PM

Looks promising Paul. Can't wait to see the progress.

Mr. T
Tony Andrews
Kent Island, Maryland
(153 posts)

10/23/2007 03:59PM

Main British Car:
'75 mgb, '74 grille, morspeed bumpers Rover 3.9

authors avatar
Posted by: Mr. T
Date: November 25, 2007 04:49PM

I have always liked simple, round tail lights. Looks cool Paul - kinda wish mg had gone that route - check out the old datsun 1500's. Look forward to future pics.

1MGBV8
Paul Waters

(13 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 01, 2007 01:06AM

I thought I put up a slightly updated picture. This is the Sebering valance taped into place. The plan is now to weld up all the unused holes in the back and work out the spacing for the tail lights. I think the lower light needs to move down. I've decided to use a set of early mustang GT dual exhaust bezels purchased from e-bay for the exhausts. They will look similar to the Corvette tail lights and mount easier.
IMG_2383.jpg

1MGBV8
Paul Waters

(13 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 13, 2007 12:54AM

I'm adding some updates to this thread. I have moved the lights to where I think they look right. I have also added some masking tape to fill in the area below the lower light and the Sebring valance to transition this. I'm considering making a vacuum formed part for this or just making it out of aheet metal and welding it in.
I've also included a picture showing the 66 mustang wheels on the car. I'm thinking of painting them a lighter color of blue instead of the black. I had a pair of original 63 Buick/Olds valve covers chrome plated to give it the old school look popular with the hot rod set. I plan on boxing the license plate and the blue tape is my stab at the cut lines. Looks like I'll have to put up another post for the other pictures.
MGB22.jpg

1MGBV8
Paul Waters

(13 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 13, 2007 01:13AM

Here are the additional pictures. The caps next to the valve cover are new Moss front grease caps I had chromed with the covers.
mgb25.jpg
MGB23.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 13, 2007 11:54PM

It's taking shape Paul. You're way ahead of me; i haven't touched my car in 5 or 6 weeks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.