Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Miata seat installation
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 15, 2009 10:43AM

Am making the brackets to install my seats today & did a quick search to look at how others have done it. I know there are lots of ways to skin this cat, but one of the 1st I came across was this... Very well written... I know I've seen Eclecticmotorworks as an id here or on the MGE site; should know who it is... anyway, I'll be sending him a thank-you -- probably saved me an hour or two of comtemplating how I want to do it.

Here's the link for anyone interested... [www.eclecticmotorworks.com]

Rob

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Miata seat installation
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: March 15, 2009 04:07PM

That would be Carl Heideman.

There are actually 4 different Miata seats. They come in regular, taller, & tallest. Then there is the ultra rare separate headrest model.

Miata seats2.jpg

Here's how I did mine:

I found no need to swap the driver & passenger seats. I used the stock mounting holes & bolts. Here's the way I did it:

I cut off the front Miata mounts & welded two 1.5" (approx) Ls for the front "feet" to give some rise for thigh support.

In the back, I straightened the rear Miata mounts to be parallel with the seat tracks. This lowers the seat but causes the seat bottom to hit the floorboard. The Miata seat bottom is thin mild steel so it was bashed in for clearance. The rear mounts are held on by two rivets. I removed the outer rivet & swiveled the mounts inward to work with the stock MG mounting holes. Welded them in place. Once the front was bolted in place & the rear was located, I welded fender washers on the rear mounts since the Miata mount bolt holes are much too large.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 15, 2009 11:26PM

I probably should have read the article before posting it... like usual, i just looked at the pics... read it later & noticed it's instructions for installing a kit he offers to do the job.

I thought about just ordering it, but it's 3/8" plate... very heavy.

I'm 5'7" so want to raise the seats about an inch. I'm thinking of using some 1/8" 1x3 rectangular tube I have left over. Doing it similar to what you mention above except rather than cut the feet off or reposition them, I'll weld them to the 1x3 & mount that to the stock mounting holes.

That'll be tomorrow's job -- as soon as I finish reinforcing the door skins to hold my electric mirrors.

RockyMountainMGB
Mark Taylor
Denver Colorado, USA
(39 posts)

05/30/2008 07:22PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: RockyMountainMGB
Date: January 10, 2011 10:44AM

Here's a good write up posted by a MG Experience member.

[www.mgexperience.net]

And Crate Parts makes a great looking bracket --- if you don't feel like fabbing one yourself.

[www.crateparts.com]

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.