Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Flares - just curious
Posted by: rficalora
Date: April 07, 2009 09:28AM

Since Camaro's seem to be a popular source for 60* GM V6's, has anyone looked at the flares on Gen 3 camaro's (1982-1992)? They're a little smaller than Omni or Rabbit, but look to be about the right diameter & there should be plenty around. Has anyone tried them?

t.lay
Tom Lay
Grayslake, IL
(93 posts)

05/13/2008 09:53PM

Main British Car:
72 mg b gt

Re: Flares - just curious
Posted by: t.lay
Date: May 20, 2009 12:34AM

Interesting, quite a few camaros and firebirds at the pick n pull - I've been eyeing about every car on the road as a potential donor. Most of the new stuff is only a 1/2 fender with the lower section in plastic. So far I think my increased track (I'm around 54" for track width with 245/45/17 tires) is going to have to live with sebring type flares on the back. I do like the look of cobra fronts. I think porsche 911 flares would work on the rear if you need to go wide, but they're a little pricey. I pulled some molds from a set of sebring flares - will probably just make my own. Haven't seen any pics of yours lately - how's it coming along?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Flares - just curious
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: May 20, 2009 08:46AM

Rob, I looked closely at the flares on the Camaro I got my engine from ('87) and decided that for my Midget they wouldn't work very well. The Camaro body has a lot of curve to the sides which makes the flares look quite a bit larger width wise, but if you trim that to match the rather flat sides of a MG then you either lose a lot of the width or wind up installing the flare at an angle and the "lip" around the wheel opening winds up pointing inwards instead of 90 degrees to the ground. I thought that would look a little strange.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.