Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
little convenience features added before the big road trip
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 28, 2009 01:32AM

So... what little convenience features have you added to the interiors of your cars recently?

In anticipation of the long trek eastward for BritishV8 2009, I thought it might be nice to make these two quick additions:

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/CurtisJacobson-BJ.jpg http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/CurtisJacobson-BK.jpg
(Left) I finally got around to wiring up the map lights that are integral to my Chevy S10 rear view mirror.
(Right) I fabricated a custom panel for under the dash, to add a 12V power socket and a pair of binder posts.

Graham might get a kick out of knowing that these particular binder posts are an old International Truck part that's been in my junk bin for years. Almost all heavy trucks have binder posts on the dashboard to make it convenient for truck drivers to hook up their CB radios. (They're convenient for hooking up all sorts of things... like test equipment, etc.) I believe International was first to use this particular part where (+) and (-) posts are built into the same unit. About as quickly as I saw this on an International, I copied the idea and Volvo Trucks have used the same part ever since. The "Casco" 12V power outlet socket was originally created for the Chrysler minivans, but again it's something we saw at Volvo and added to our trucks. Freightliner used the exact same part too, I believe.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: little convenience features added before the big road trip
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 28, 2009 06:15PM

That's cool Curtis. I had an ungly little toyota rental last week in Dallas but it had an updated idea on the power port... it was a fused 110v outlet -- must have been an inverter behind the dash somewhere. I took a pic of it & added it to my "ideas for the future" file. Using an inverter & your 110v charger for your phone or similar devices is better than using a cigarette lighter type power plug. The 12v charge typically overheats the phone batteries significantly reducing their life (according to my sis who works for one of the cell phone companies).

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 29, 2009 06:42PM

That's good information, Rob. Inverter technology will improve quickly with more electric and electric hybrid cars being developed. Almost ten years ago, I designed a built-in inverter/battery charger system for heavy trucks. We were wiring the sleeper cabs with three sets of duplex receptacles... We had TV, VCR, a built-in refrigerator, and even a kitchen sink option with running water. But the truck inverter was seriously heavy duty, and it weighed about fifty pounds. If an inverter for my MGB weighs more than about eight ounces, it's way too heavy! These are sports cars, you know? My ultimate ambition is to strip my MGB GT V8 down to a fighting weight of just 1800 pounds. I didn't make much progress this year - just four or five pounds - so I've got about 200 more to go.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 29, 2009 06:55PM

Yeah, but you weigh a good 30-40lbs more than me so i could have the inverter & still be a few lbs ahead of you :)

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 29, 2009 09:22PM

Curtis? He'd blow over in a strong wind! :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.