Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

carlitoway3
carlito way

(2 posts)

07/07/2009 01:38PM

Main British Car:

Grinding Disc Suggestions
Posted by: carlitoway3
Date: July 07, 2009 01:41PM

Any suggestions for grinding discs? I was planning to some serious work on my car starting with the body. What do ya'll use? I have some ideas like this Smith & Arrow I'm really interested in. (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/smith-and-arrow__W0QQ_armrsZ1). It's actually very cheap and has a lot of good feedback from 6000 sales. But if ya'll have any other in mind then that would be great also.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Grinding Disc Suggestions
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: July 07, 2009 03:40PM

For body work I use a cut off tool for any cuts and a 30 grit sanding disc for any rough grinding. I also use flap wheels at times for some of the more delicate work. Hard discs are usually too hard on the metal and too easy to slip and make a gouge with, so I stick with sanding discs. You can get some pretty good deals on discs, flap wheels, and cut off wheels, of evil bay or even at places like Harbor Freight. Catch them on sale and the 4" grinding discs come in at around $.50 each or less which isn't a bad deal. I don't care for their sanding discs though, and usually go to our local welding supply or auto parts store for those. For paint removal I use scotch brite pads on a 4" grinder, got those through e-bay several years ago. Use a medium grit and they really give a nice finish to the metal and don't build up too much heat.

carlitoway3
carlito way

(2 posts)

07/07/2009 01:38PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: carlitoway3
Date: July 08, 2009 10:47AM

Thanks man.. Any idea if this Smith & Arrow is any good?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: July 08, 2009 02:13PM

I can't open E-bay listings here at work so can't tell about the item you mention. I've already mentioned about the grinding and sanding discs I use and where I usually purchase those. As far at the tools go, I use both a Sears and a Black and Decker 4" angle grinders and also an air grinder from Harbor Freight. I usually have a hard disc on one grinder, a flap disc on the other, and a finer grit sanding disc on the air grinder for more delicate work. I use a Harbor freight air powered cut off tool which does fine. To cut heavy material I use a metal cutting disc on my circular saw.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 10, 2009 12:50AM

Like Bill, I use an angle grinder & a couple of air grinders. The flap disks I got from Harbor freight didn't hold up so I've been using the ones from Home Depot. They run about $9 each, but i've only gone through about 4 or 5 of them in 4 years. The smith & arrow ones you put in the link look similar to the HD ones so I'd definitely give them a shot... the price is really good if they work out. I also use cut-off disks (thin ones) on both angle grinders (4.5" electric & 3" air) and i've found the little 2" sanding disks come in handy for tight spaces. my elec. & air grinders came from HF & have held up well.

I find i don't use the hard grinding wheels very often so wouldn't recommend getting more than a few of those if any.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.