Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Lotus Eleven... the model that established Chapman's reputation
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 02, 2009 11:39AM

Here's the newest addition to the British Race Car (dot com) article library:
Lotus 11 LeMans - the model that made Lotus famous (36 photos)

Please let me know what you find most interesting in this article!

http://www.britishracecar.com/JeffSnook-Lotus-11LeMans/JeffSnook-Lotus-11LeMans-BB.jpg

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Re: Lotus Eleven... the model that established Chapman's reputation
Posted by: Phillip G
Date: November 02, 2009 10:04PM

Curtis,

Your range of interest and knowledge of British sporting cars is amazing.

I can not comment or contribute anything to your discussion of the Lotus Eleven. Wish I could. All I can offer are questions.

For instance, was it a Formula 1 or Formula 2 car ? Displacement of 1600cc ? Was the Formula 1 spec at that time 1600cc ?

Was it the Coventry Climax 4 cylinder engine ?

Do tell us more about this particular car.

r'grds,

Phillip G

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Lotus Eleven... the model that established Chapman's reputation
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 03, 2009 01:09AM

Thanks for the kind words, Phillip.

Just click on the underlined blue text up above and it will take you to the whole article including engine specs, etc.

Formula One and Formula Two are/were both open-wheel racecars whereas the Eleven had a full body.

Formula One cars from 1954 though 1960 could have up to 2.5 litre engines. Then, Formula One rules changed, and engines were limited to 1.5 litres from 1961 through 1965. Most Lotus Elevens only had 1.1 litre engines... but Jeff's engine is almost 1.5L. A Formula One car would certainly be faster than a Lotus Eleven. From 1957 through 1960, Formula Two cars were were allowed 1.5L engines... since they'd have approximately equal power and weight, I would think a Lotus Eleven would run pretty well against a Formula Two car from that time period. The Eleven is more streamlined, whereas the Formula Two has less frontal area. Tires and suspensions would be quite comparable.

I didn't know much about race cars of this era until I started studying them last winter... but they're fascinating, aren't they!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.