Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

nadg63
Neil Gibson

(49 posts)

09/30/2009 11:50PM

Main British Car:

Re: Classic Adelaide Tarmac Rally, South Australia.
Posted by: nadg63
Date: March 29, 2010 11:26PM

Bad news, was on the local News last week that the Classic Adelaide organisers have severe financial problems and have closed up shop!?

Seems the office was locked last week, phones disconnected, and the main man had done a bunk owing plenty of people money, this includes service providers from last year and people/competitors that had already paid their fees/deposits for this years event, (not us thankfully).

At this point of time there have been a few suggestions of various people/organisations taking over the running of the event but no-one really knows if it will run this year, (or in the forseeable future!?)

So we will just have to 'watch this space' as they say and see what occurs.

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: March 30, 2010 08:21AM

That’s not fun at all.......well be thankful you have the opportunities to take part or have right to have these events. Here in the US/North America we have a few but nothing just wide open go crazy that are real rallies or targa events. I consider some of them to be drag race events with some right and left turns here and there. The last Targa/Rally events are the Lacarrera Panamericana and the Targa Newfoundland. Have you thought about Targa Tasmania?

nadg63
Neil Gibson

(49 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 30, 2010 07:22PM

Hi Mike,

We are looking at doing Targa Tasmania next year as it happens - major financial exercise tho!

There are also a few other events down here, but like yourself in the USA distance to the event is a big thing.

Classic Adelaide might still happen yet, failing that we will look at doing a couple of 2 day events over in Victoria as they are closest to us, (800km away), as they are around the same time, Oct-Dec.

Next outing is a local 2.5 day event in late May.

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 30, 2010 08:13PM

Neil,

Not to sound like a dumbass, but how big across is Australia? I will chack it out online with Google Maps, but it looks massive. I know going to the west coast from my house is about 2700 miles. I will get the intake drawing done this week hopefully.

nadg63
Neil Gibson

(49 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 30, 2010 10:07PM

I'm not sure!?

Being in Adelaide, I am basically bottom-middle, (South Aus), and the next major city from us is Melbourne, Victoria, and that's approx 10 hour drive.

To go to Perth say, Western Aus, it's rated a 32 hour drive non-stop! (hence why we haven't done Targa West)

Just found this:-

[www.anbg.gov.au]

nadg63
Neil Gibson

(49 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 09, 2010 05:28AM

Just received the pic below from a photographer attending the Classic, I believe this pic sums up why we do it - it's fun!

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/nadg63/MtLofty_RS_246.jpg

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 09, 2010 08:16AM

Neil-I have some questions about the cage in your TR7. With the front pillar/down tubes not sunk into the windshield frame does it pose a problem with seeing the front corners or the car when cutting sharp dropped off turns? Im getting ready to bend tubes and weld but what was done 30 years ago versus now and ease of installation is the question.

nadg63
Neil Gibson

(49 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 09, 2010 09:58AM

Hi Mike,

In answer to your question:-

To be honest I haven't ever noticed that it does, so I guess that must mean it doesn't!? (Ian's car is the same as our cage is kinda based on his).

Perhaps visibility is improved for us due to having the seat mountings lower!?

Craig is racing the car over the weekend at a hill-climb, (solo, I'm just support crew this time around), so will gather some more info for you tomorrow.

Neil.

nadg63
Neil Gibson

(49 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 10, 2010 07:31AM

Mike,

Asked Craig today about it, and says it has not been a problem; just doesn't notice it.
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.