Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Phillip G
Posted by: crashbash
Date: June 27, 2011 12:58PM

Phil
stupid question what should be worn in the pits? what should I bring thats needed? cooler full of water on ice I'm sure

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Phillip G
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: June 27, 2011 02:21PM

David, if you're prone to sunburn as I am I'd suggest a light weight long sleeve cotton shirt of a light color and wear at least some SPF 50 sun screen. I have a straw hat for some sun protection on my head, anything with a fairly wide brim that will shade your neck as well. I recommend long trousers, jeans are the most frequently seen. Plenty of liquids and water. If it's a really hot day you might want to conisder some sort of personal cooling device such as a neck band or hat you can soak in water and it will cool you by evaporation very well. You can get those sort of things on line or check your local garden shop as many gardeners wear those as well. At most of the tracks I've been to there may be quite a walk between your pit and the vendor area, so you may want to pack some sandwiches and such in your cooler as well. After getting tired of walking around Heartland Park Topeka I bought a small gas powered scooter to get around the pits on. Small enough to fold up and carry in my Midget. Check craigslist, I picked mine up for $100 a few years ago and it's been worth every penny.
If you have room pack a folding chair as well, not many places to sit in the actual pits. Most people will be more than happy to share their shade with you if you have your own seat, of course the top of a cooler will also work for that as well.
DSCF0472.JPG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 02:31PM by Bill Young.

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: June 29, 2011 09:25PM

David,

I plan to have 2 12 ft canopies up for our paddock site. One for the race car and one for the race team workers.I bring a large cooler w/ice and water bottles and 4 folding chairs, too. Spares and tools fill up the truck bed for the race weekend.

Oh, bring a camera. You'll find some incredible cars and race scenes to cover.

Dress for high heat levels and always high winds at HPT.

I have so many loose ends right now that I'm worried I'll have the car ready in time. All but one major hurdle is now covered.

That latest hurdle is the new Ford 8 inch rear axle. All was set to go when I got a call from the differential mechanic that he found a crack in my new (used) differential carrier (the pumpkin). So, today I ordered a new aluminum carrier from Currie Enterprises. I hope it arrives quickly

Installing the new high tech rear axle will be a big job (what with all the suspension pick-up points) - plus coil over suspension and all new disk brakes) that all need so many weld points. I am still hopeful that the RV8 will be ready, but time is running out.

I look forward to working with you at the HPT July 16 races.

r'grds,

phil

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Posted by: crashbash
Date: June 30, 2011 12:23PM

Phil I wish I lived close enough to help out the set up! I hope to arrive at the track late morning (noon) on Friday. I'm your slave from then on! I warn you now I don't get around quite as good as I used to. I would like to think age has nothing to do with it, more the motorcycles, hang gliders, and fast cars are to blame! I will do as much as possible to help out. I really enjoy being around any type of racing and often wish I had pursued auto racing as more of a hobby or career. I was fortunate enough to compete in hang glider competitions around the country and flew for 15 years. I'm sure it was much safer and provided more adrenalin than auto racing. I have built several engines successfully and picked many a mentor's brain until they were sick of me.

looking forward to this weekend dave bash

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: June 30, 2011 01:30PM

Dave, I'm sure Phillip and the rest will appreciate any help and support you can give. I can't make the race on the 16th as I'll be off on my way to the Midget 50 meet in Wisconsin. We're hoping that we can get everything but the rear axle done this weekend and have the car as ready as possible for the 16th.

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: July 11, 2011 08:48PM

David,

So sorry to have to report that I am unable to enter the SCCA races at HPT on July 16.

Almost everything has been completed on the preps for the race, except for the discovery of a crack in the Ford 8 inch carrier of the differential, while installing a new 3.80 ring & pinion. A Currie Engineering aluminum carrier is on the way - but there is no way to complete the changeout of the broken MGB banjo type rear axle for the new Ford 8 inch rear axle - in time.

I still plan to spectate at the July 16 races at HPT and hope to see you there maybe where we can spectate together.

Let me know.

keep them on the track,

phillip g

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.