Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
How To Power Tune MGB 4-cylinder Engines
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 16, 2013 12:56PM

I'm writing to recommend the NEW edition of How To Power Tune MGB 4-cylinder Engines by Peter Burgess. It's published by Veloce. I've found it to be a very interesting and informative read. I've been enjoying my copies even though I haven't owned a 4-cylinder MGB engine in over two decades. Obviously it's mostly about that specific engine, but Peter does a great job on theory-of-operation explanations plus he included a chapter on Suspension/Brakes/Tires and another chapter on how to get the most from rolling road dyno sessions. Best of all... this edition has a spectacular new cover photo. (The first of my photos to appear on a book! If you buy the book, I'll be delighted to autograph it for you.)

http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/graphics/prod_imgs_large/V4615_1372841221.jpg

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Re: How To Power Tune MGB 4-cylinder Engines
Posted by: crashbash
Date: October 17, 2013 12:38PM

So Curtis can you sell me one, sign it and send it? Is there much new in this book?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: How To Power Tune MGB 4-cylinder Engines
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 17, 2013 12:59PM

I can't tell very specifically how much is new because I never read the previous edition, but some of the updates are obvious. It seems that Burgess has gone through and tested all of his previous tuning suggestions on a new dyno and with a better dyno testing methodology, and he now gives the updated performance info. Some conclusions/recommendations have apparently changed based on that development. Also, Burgess has been playing with a "123" electronic / programmable distributor. He uses it to show how timing curves work and what effects they have on performance.

I only have two copies: one for myself and one I plan to give as a gift. You can order your own copy online direct from the publisher or from the usual retailers. Bring your copy to next year's BV8 meet and I'll sign it there;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.