Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Ginetta G4 Series Two: our very latest gallery addition.
Posted by: Moderator
Date: February 08, 2010 03:59PM

What a pretty little car! I fell hard for this one at V.I.R. last June...

Read all about it here: Craig Chima's Ginetta G4 Race Car (50 detailed photos and captions!)

http://www.britishracecar.com/CraigChima-GinettaG4/CraigChima-GinettaG4-BA.jpg

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Re: Ginetta G4 Series Two: our very latest gallery addition.
Posted by: Phillip G
Date: February 09, 2010 10:05PM

Curtis,

There may be no better or more beautiful SCCA Vintage racer than Craig Chima's Ginetta.

What a beauty!

I once watched a similar car win the big bore race at Ponca City, Oklahoma on the 4th of July SCCA Nationals. With 1600cc's, Neil Harrison raced with a similar car and beat the 427 c.i. Can Am Maclaren of Jack Hinkle on the twisty and last of the honest-to-God real road courses in the world. There has never been a road race better than that one.

Look it up - Ponca City SCCA road races - the last of the real road races in the whole world !

Keep them on the track.

Phillip G

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Ginetta G4 Series Two: our very latest gallery addition.
Posted by: Moderator
Date: February 09, 2010 10:36PM

Ponca City! I had to look it up, and you're right - they were nuts. Road racing on the narrow lanes of a "city park"!
http://cll.hemmings.com/story_image/117203-500-0.jpg

Phillip, we may not have agreed about the Lister Jag, but we're totally in tune on the Ginetta. It is one GORGEOUS little car! I want one so so so bad...

As I understand the class rules, if you want to vintage race a Ginetta G4 with the bigger, better breathing 1598cc crossflow cylinder head it has to be the later-model body style. The Series Two Ginetta wasn't originally built with that engine, but the Series Three was. The Series Three body looks almost the same, but it had pop-up headlights. You wouldn't have to have functional headlights, but your car can't have the cute little headlight pockets that Craig's car has. Okay... easy enough... the Series Three frame is stiffer to begin with anyhow...

With the 1598cc engine, that little car is going to be a serious giant killer. SVRA puts it the Group 8 "B-Production" class where it's going to be racing at the time as Group 8 A-Production and you know what that means. It's going to be sharing track time with the MGB GT V8's of people like Les Gonda and Jerry Richards as well as a big field of six cylinder Porsches. With a good driver, the Ginetta should be a serious giant killer in that field. For one thing, it's half the weight. Under 1100 pounds. What fun!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.