Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Calling All Racers
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 12, 2007 03:27AM

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Images-V15-2/RetroRocket-A.jpg

British V8 2007 Valve Cover Racing - Results
as published in British V8 Newsletter, Volume XV Issue 2, September 2007

In the history of racing there have been few results as clear as our first ever British V8 Valve Cover Races. On the one hand, we witnessed the triumphant spectacle of stunning and complete technical domination. On the other hand we heard the humiliated and sickening silence of those who arrived unprepared, followed by excuses and lame accusations. (Only one car entered.)

The gauntlet has been thrown down. Who will rise to the challenge next year?

Despite bold Oldsmobile marketing, this year's winner wasn't really rocket powered... Gentlemen, this ain't rocket science! A respectable valve cover racer can be built in one afternoon. Alternatively, extraordinarily "open" rules encourage innovation. You've got most of a year to scheme-up and implement something bold. Why not go overboard with this? It'll be fun!

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Images-V15-2/RetroRocket-B.jpg
"The Retro Rocket" electrified spectators with its flashing red (LED illuminated) transparent front wheels!

2007 Champion
Builder Curtis Jacobson
Engine 53 Olds "Rocket 88"
Weight 12 lbs
Wheelbase 16.5"
Ft Track 7.25"
Rr Track 0.25"
Ft Whl Dia 3.8"
Rr Whl Dia 3.75"

The British V8 Newsletter is funded through the generous support of sponsors like: The Motorway, Ltd. - Located in "The Valve Cover Racing Capital of the World" (Northern Colorado) The Motorway's website - www.motorwayltd.com - is a great place to learn more about this exciting sport!

Rules for British V8's Valve Cover Races
(other clubs will differ)

The Cars

* The cars shall have no power source. All motive power is provided by gravity.
* Cars shall be based on an actual rocker cover or cam cover (valve cover) from a car engine.
There shall be no limitation on engine make, model, cylinder configuration, or displacement.
* Wheel base shall be no more than 24 inches.
(Note: The staging lane is only 24 inches long.)
* Wheel track shall be no more than 14 inches.
* Cars must have 4 wheels, each no greater than 6 inches in diameter.
* Cars shall weigh up to but certainly not more than exactly 12 pounds.

The Course

* The course shall consist of a launch incline 8 feet long, followed by a level run of 20 feet.
* Two lanes shall divide the launch incline, each 2 feet wide.
The incline shall be 2 feet high at the rearmost part and level with the course at the front edge.
The front edge shall be mitered so as to provide a smooth transition from the incline to the run out area.
* The official "Starting Line" shall be 2 feet from the rear edge of the incline.
A mechanized starting gate, which is 2 inches high, shall be used.
* The run out section of the course shall consist of 2 lanes, each 3 feet wide.
The lanes shall be clearly marked.
* The finish line shall be marked 20 feet from the front edge of the launch incline.

The Races

* Cars will be run in heats of 2 cars each.
* The cars are to be launched with their front wheels on the starting line.
(Note: If your car's design doesn't allow this, it's to your disadvantage.)
* The first car to have its front wheels cross the finish line shall be declared the winner.
* If neither car makes it to the finish line, the car going farthest shall be declared the winner.
* If a car's wheels touch or cross over the lane markers, that car shall be disqualified.
The remaining car shall be declared the heat winner.
* Winning cars will advance to the next round until all are eliminated - except one champion!

Photos by Curtis Jacobson and Brian Kraus (autocross background) for The British V8 Newsletter. All rights reserved

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2007 03:28AM by Moderator.

mgbgtv8
Robert Milner
Manteca, Calif.
(10 posts)

12/06/2007 11:17PM

Main British Car:
1967 BGT 293" Buick/ Rover

Re: Calling All Racers
Posted by: mgbgtv8
Date: December 06, 2007 11:36PM

Curtis I'll take you up on that challenge, but with the 12 pound limit I'll have to modify a "part". But I think that is what we do best anyway.
i hope to make it, Robert and the "Shock and Awe" racing team

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: December 08, 2007 11:38PM

My biggest problem with valve cover racing is..... I don't get to drive, so what's the point?! ;)

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 10, 2007 03:32PM

I just don't have a decent valve cover to make one out of. Plus it's so similar to what I do for work that is doesn't really seem like a hobby, it just seems like.... well, more work. But I can see where it should be fun otherwise.

Jim

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: December 10, 2007 04:00PM

Curtis, I won't be able to make the meet this year, can we enter by proxy? I have the car, just need someone willing to run it.
It's no slug either, took third at the KC All British a few years ago. I'll have to add weight to get it up to 12 pounds though, should make it faster.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: December 10, 2007 04:22PM

Jim wrote: "I just don't have a decent valve cover to make one out of."

Hello? You guys sound like you're competing for "lamest excuse".

A "decent" valve cover can be bought on eBay for about ten bucks. (I think I paid $15, but I wanted something really distinctive and retro in a hurry.) If you're less picky, probably someone on this board would GIVE you a valve cover.

Jim wrote: "Plus it's so similar to what I do for work"

You design, build and race toy cars for pay? I want your job!

Carl wrote: "I don't get to drive, so what's the point?"

Looking at Robert's "Shock and Awe" car or my "Retro Rocket", you'll probably notice both cars were designed to squeek through gaps in (deliberately) very broadly written rules. (The car Robert's brought to Townsend was designed to radically and automatically change weight upon reaching the bottom of a sloped segment of track.) As I see it - the point of valve cover racing is the opportunity to match wits.

On the other hand, someone might win with a well-aligned set of wheels, a better set of bearings, by guessing what the optimal weight is (since a heavy car will accelerate quickly out of the starting gate, but may slow down too much on the flat part of the track. Maybe.)

Other cool things about valve cover racing:
(1) wives and children may enjoy competing too
(2) its a better spectator sport than autocrossing
(3) the cars can be radically styled on a very low budget
(4) you don't need a valve cover gasket and you won't get black-flagged for an oil leak
(5) even a lousy driver like me can whip Carl BAAAAD!!!

Come on guys - enough of the lame excuses! Lets see how well you can design and build a toy car.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: December 10, 2007 04:28PM

Bill wrote: "can we enter by proxy?"

Now that's the spirit! The man isn't even coming to the meet, and he still wants to race! I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed (for example) to transform some lucky youngster from "spectator" to "participant". (I don't intend to be a "race official" though.) There's clearly no rule posted above about the person who enters a car actually being the builder of the car.

mgbgtv8
Robert Milner
Manteca, Calif.
(10 posts)

12/06/2007 11:17PM

Main British Car:
1967 BGT 293" Buick/ Rover

Posted by: mgbgtv8
Date: December 10, 2007 09:50PM

Here is the ultimate answer to the question 'can we enter by proxy". At MG2007 in Calif. this summer the gentleman that won borrowed a racer and then wasn't there to run it! He's a great guy (we vintage raced together 25 years ago) and it's all in fun anyway.
Carl- one of the most important parts of racing is setting it up on the track (driving) to compensate for any pulling, at MG2007 my racer was hit by another and it threw the alignment off and I couldn't compensate enough so I ended up with 4th place.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 13, 2008 04:53PM

Have you guys been working on your valve cover racers?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: June 02, 2008 12:00PM

Paul Schils e-mailed me this morning that he's got his valve cover racecar completed and he's into the tuning phase.

Who else is going to race with us?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: July 10, 2008 02:22AM

So far, I'm aware that Bill Young and Paul Schils will be challenging the defending champion "Retro Rocket".

Anyone else?

There's still time to build a valve cover racecar, if you're committed.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: July 10, 2008 08:21AM

Curtis, the thought of coming up against the Mighty Midget Racer has them all scared. I'm not so sure about going up against the mighty Olds Rocket though. We'll see on the track. Who knows, might get my tires blown off.
Anyway, we'll give it a try. The car is already neatly packed away in it's padded carrying case in the back of the Zonker and ready for the trip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.