Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

TR6-6SPD
Ken Hiebert
Toronto Ontario
(255 posts)

04/23/2008 11:43AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1994 5.7 L GM LT1

authors avatar
Autocrossing at the Goodguys Nashville meet
Posted by: TR6-6SPD
Date: August 17, 2011 11:51AM

The Goodguys Rod and Custom Association holds numerous meets across the USA and most include an autocross event. I attended one in Nashville after the British V8 meet in Townsend, May 2011 and this is what I discovered.
It’s a very well run contest. The timing equipment, commentary and organizing was first rate. The course itself was very straight forward compared to some a person can come across. It had some concrete barriers and lamp posts as hazards that I wasn’t too comfortable with but everyone avoided them.
Over 60 cars were registered so a car may only get 4 to 5 runs in a day. By registering according to car instead of driver, two people sharing a car would of course get out half of that number of times. But your “off-time” could be used looking at and studying the beautiful street rods, adorning the fairgrounds adjacent to the track.
They have 4 classes in the competition: Vendor, Street machine, Street Rod and Trucks. Vendor class represents cars with all the trick parts. I found each class has a group of guys and their cars that frequent each of these meets and strive to win each scheduled event. The competition is tough, serious in a way but everyone is still having fun with good camaraderie.
The top cars in my class, Street Machine, were typically late 60s Camaros with LS motors and some very sophisticated suspension components. The cars have to run street tires and usually weigh in the low 3,000 lb area. These guys can drive!
Katie and I were received quite well by everyone in the 1972 Triumph TR6. In the parking area, I usually kept the hood opened to stir the interest of anyone passing by. I felt our lap times were respectable. I was 4th fastest in my class of 37, would have liked to make the podium but I learned a few things for next time.
Here is the video of the track with Katie driving it, (the comentary was good I thought):

[www.youtube.com]

Here is the link to the results:

[goodguysforum.com]

Here's some photos from the event:

Brandy Morrow's, 70 Chevy Camero from Spectre
IMG_4519.JPG

Engine:
IMG_4520.JPG

Good looking Sunoco Camaro:
IMG_4465.JPG

Final results chart:
IMG_4590.JPG

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: Autocrossing at the Goodguys Nashville meet
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: August 17, 2011 01:42PM

Ken,
Pretty darn respectable result if you ask me.
Cheers
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.