Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Lime Rock 2011
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: September 05, 2011 01:44PM

Here are some shots from Saturday's race day. I'll try and identify as many of the cars as I can, feel free to chime in if I got something wrong or if you have information to add.

Sidney Allard may have been one of the first "kit" car builders, manufacturing the chassis and body in the UK and then shipping them to the US for the drive train and power. Many were fitted with Cadillac power but I've also seen them with Chrysler and Chevrolet motors. This one was particularly well done.
Allard.jpg

There were several Bentleys around. This one, a Speed Six and another one that I wasn't familiar with. Sadly, none of them saw any track time but they were still great to look at.
Bentley side draft.jpg
Bentley Speed 6.jpg

Big Healeys were in abundance but this one was among the best looking as well as the best running. What a sound!
Big Healey.jpg

This was under the hood of an Indy 500 recreation from the late 50s early 60s. The power plant was all wrong for the era and car but it was still amazing to see up close.
Chrysler Power.jpg

You still see these around in production racing and they remain a very successful pocket racer. It was a hoot to see this guy out on the track mixing it up with cars that had much more power. It was wicked fast through the esses and the hard right hander. I don't think he ever backed of the gas.
Fiat Abarth.jpg

Gianetta's have to be one of the most beautiful race cars ever built. There were several fine examples at Lime Rock this year. This one caught my eye.
Gianetta.jpg

Jaguar was the title sponsor this year and they didn't disappoint. Not only did they bring some very cool cars but Roberto Guererro and Bob Tullius were both on hand answering questions and being great ambassadors for both the marque and the event.
Guerrro LeMans Jaguar.jpg
Tullius Jaguar.jpg

This Talbot-Lago may not be British but this one was an absolutely spectacular example of pre-war Grand Prix cars. The craftsmanship during restoration was meticulous and it was simply beautiful to behold.
Talbot Lago GP.jpg
Talbot Lago GP2.jpg
Talbot Lago GP3.jpg

Here's a car that may be said to have "started it all" as far as modern British racing is concerned. This car was very well done and it was something else to hear him start it up.
Jaguar D-type.jpg

While not British, this is the last GT-40 Mark I ever built and had (still has) a very distinguished racing career. Like most of the cars I saw, it was very well kept although did not perform well on the track. I suspect it was geared a bit too tall for the short Lime Rock course but was sure fun to see it at speed.
GT40.jpg

Lotus 7s and Super 7s were at Lime Rock in abundance. This one was parked out in the cheap seats but should have had a front row position.
Lotus 7.jpg

In my opinion, Lotus's attempt at CanAm racing may have been a bust, but this is quite possibly one of the most beautiful if thoroughly unsuccessful race cars ever built. The lines flow so well.
Lotus CanAm.jpg

I'm a big fan of the early Lotus Elans but have not really warmed to the Ginsu looks of the newer cars. Still, this one in BRG and black wheels looked pretty ominous.
Lotus Elise.jpg

MG race cars of several eras were everywhere. Here are some shots of a few of the "purpose" built cars as well as TCs and TDs all dolled up for racing.
MG Racer.jpg
MG Racer2.jpg
MG_TC.jpg
MGB GT.jpg

I'm going to finish up with a few of the Italian offerings, first among them this gorgeous OSCA.
Osca.jpg
Osca2.jpg
Osca motor.jpg

Among the rarest of the rare, this Zagato bodied Abarth didn't see any track time but I didn't care. It was stunning to see.
Zagato.jpg

That's all I have for now. I took about 100 shots and still processing most them. Also, I know that Curtis was also there taking pictures and I'm sure he'll be posting up at some point. If, after he posts, I see anything he doesn't show, I'll go back through my images and see if i can fill in any blanks. I have to say, as many times as I've gone to this annual event, this year's offerings were among the best I've seen. There were more than 300 cars (just on the track) and enough racing to keep even the most die hard fan satisfied.

If you love cars and have never been to Lime Rock for the Vintage Races, you really should make a plan to go. Of all the tracks this series visits, Lime Rock is hands down the most fan friendly. $30 ($45 a week before the event) gets you into the track, the paddock, and the midway. Food prices are actually very reasonable (and, for track food, the chow is pretty good) and it didn't hurt having Harpoon Brewery as the "official" beer sponsor.

Hope you enjoy the show. Comments are welcome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 08:59AM by DC Townsend.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Lime Rock 2011
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 05, 2011 03:39PM

Thanks for posting such great photos, David! A couple cars there I didn't see - there were way too many to take in.

It is indeed a FANTASTIC event. I know I took about 850 photos on Saturday alone... but I haven't downloaded the rest yet. I bought a nifty digital voice recorder, so now I can record interviews, and that means it's easier and quicker to get features and specs (etc.) from car owners. Among cars I interviewed people about: the last Allard to leave the factory (a Chrysler hemi powered GT), the Walt Hansgren Jaguar 120 Special, a Lester MG with a LONG racing history, Harry Gentry's Spridget, and a particularly nice Spitfire. Lime rock was particularly strong in the area of high dollar cars and very early cars. The setting is sublime. Wonderful... and if you still want more, there's also Watkins Glen the following weekend.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 05, 2011 04:11PM

Wow! 850 photos! Can't wait to see what you shot as well as your commentary. I knew many of the marques and vehicles at Lime Rock but there were many more that were completely new to me. Just an amazing display of performance machinery from nearly every automobile era.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 05, 2011 07:03PM

Here's a link to a number of very fine action shots taken of today's (Monday) action. It was dry most of the day but there was rain off an on this afternoon.

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.