Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

deltadave
dave plumley
unionville TN
(69 posts)

10/24/2010 08:21PM

Main British Car:
1953 MG TD Chevy 350

authors avatar
Red Bull car pics
Posted by: deltadave
Date: November 12, 2011 12:09PM

Took these pics of a Red Bull car in Franklin Tennessee this morning. Thought you guys might like to see them. It has Vettels name on the side, but don't know if he drives it or it's just a display. I grew up a few miles from Watkins Glen NY so I have some fond memories of the old US Formula One days. Saw Mario Andretti driving the #5 John Player Lotus back in the day.
PICT1367.JPG
PICT1368.JPG
PICT1366.JPG
PICT1369.JPG

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Red Bull car pics
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 12, 2011 12:39PM

Wow! A UFO lands in Franklin Tennessee, but the locals don't seem too alarmed. I wonder what brought this car to your neighborhood. (If I knew, maybe I could get them to bring it to mine.) Thanks for posting!

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: November 12, 2011 01:04PM

Just watched Vettel this morning pull out an amazing pole performance in the last few minutes of Q3 qualifying at Abu Dhabi. Usually watching F1 qualifying is like watching paint dry but this was absolutely electrifying. First 6 cars are within 10th's of a second of one another. I'd say it should be a great race were it not for Vettel's starting capabilities (superb) and the fact the the Marina Circuit is nearly impossible to pass on. As a highlight, Vettel tied the legendary Nigel Mansell for the most poles (14) in one season. The old gentleman still has the young guy on poles as a percentage of races though having won almost 88% of the available positions that season. Even if Vettel were to win the pole in Brazil, he would still fall short of the mark.

triumphtr2
tim body
St thomas ont Canada
(87 posts)

08/18/2010 10:21PM

Main British Car:
1954 TR2 serial # TS 110 L triumph 2 litre

Posted by: triumphtr2
Date: November 12, 2011 11:25PM

Is Vettel really that good or is it just the car?Seems like the first guy to the first corner wins the race, which is Vettel cuase he's got the pole and after that he doesnt have to deal with anybody in front, just a clear road for the race. Lapping cars is easy for him cause who is going to not move over?I would like to see him in a car Qualifying eighth.As to Delta Dave, no wonder your a sports car nut growing up around Watkins Glen. Great track great countryside.. Also loved your TD you did. Did you sell it yet. Tim

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 13, 2011 07:27AM

"Is Vettel really that good or is it just the car?"

I suspect some of both. Watching the qualifying yesterday, it was just the car, the driver, and the track. Choice of tires (softs, hards) certainly seemed to make some difference but the final times were only a few hundreds of a second apart. Vettel was the last across the line, beating Hamilton by the slimmest of margins.

I agree with you though, sitting on the pole in F1 with today's rules (they're allowed to use their passing power switch after 3 laps) is the best guarantee of high finish. Vettel's strategy of getting to the front and staying there for the first three circuits has been very successful even if it makes the outcomes of the races a bit of a snooze sometimes. That said, it's no guarantee of a win. Take last year's Marina race for example. Early pit strategy and slower back markers ended up having more to do with the finish than the faster car or better driver and it made for a very competitive and exciting finish.

Regarding cars moving over for faster drivers, I'm not so sure they're giving Vettel a pass as much as they're driving by the rules that give them a stop-and-go penalty for impeding other cars.

While I enjoy the technical virtuousity of today's race cars, I more admire the cars (and drivers) of yore where there was less intervention and a more direct connection to the car, the driver, and the track.

deltadave
dave plumley
unionville TN
(69 posts)

10/24/2010 08:21PM

Main British Car:
1953 MG TD Chevy 350

authors avatar
Posted by: deltadave
Date: November 13, 2011 12:40PM

Tim
We always had some kind of sports car when I was growing up. My father had Austins and Jags and I've owned a few of the same, but along the way built some quick little VW Beetles. My first race at Watkins was in 1953, All I remember is my sitting on my Dad's shoulder and all the noise. That was the last race though the streets, because two young boys were killed by a race car on Franklin St. just before the turn up the hill. Spectators could sit on the curb with their feet on the race circut, and they actualy crossed the street during the race. Check out some of the old race footage if you can find it. A friend of mine made a vidio of the history of the old course a few years ago, but I can't remember the name of it. I've made three laps in an MG around the old course during the fall Vintage Races. My TD won second place in the T series class at this years Nashville British Car Club show. It's still for sale, but I enjoy every mile behind the wheel.
take care, Dave

triumphtr2
tim body
St thomas ont Canada
(87 posts)

08/18/2010 10:21PM

Main British Car:
1954 TR2 serial # TS 110 L triumph 2 litre

Posted by: triumphtr2
Date: November 13, 2011 02:20PM

Hi Dave. I do believe i've seen some footage of road races at Watkins Glen. It's hard to believe. Going over the railway tracks on the back upper part of the course was almost unbelievable. All in all very unsafe but that was the old days. ps where did you get that picture you use for your icon, is that you doing Monty python Nice to hear from you Tim

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 14, 2011 10:53AM

Vettel post script. Well, starting from the pole was apparently no guarantee for a good finish for Sebastian as he withdrew after flatting on the first lap. This wasn't just a puncture that he could wheel back to the pits on, the tire came partially off the the rim. That said, Hamilton started second and executed Vettel's go-out-fast strategy perfectly...and won. Same result...different guy. Snooze.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.