Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Mudhen
Patrick Munhall
Eliot, ME
(7 posts)

04/11/2012 02:43PM

Main British Car:
Mini, multiple

Any rally people?
Posted by: Mudhen
Date: April 11, 2012 03:46PM

Just stumbled on this site...lots of a-m-a-z-i-n-g photos and info here! Curious if there are any rally people? I'm at the beginning stages (get it? lol...crack myself up) of building a Mini for rallying...so scouring the Internet for info and pics. Oddly enough there doesn't seem to be much in the way of 'build' threads that I can find...only retro look-alikes - very few real rally cars. Maybe the 4" of ground clearance scares people off. lol.

Thanks,

Pat

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Re: Any rally people?
Posted by: crashbash
Date: April 11, 2012 06:15PM

Hi Patrick, I seem to remember a fairly recent thread about someone building a TR7/8 ralley car. Look in Triumphs, lot of info here!

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: April 11, 2012 07:20PM

Patrick,

Im building a rally TR8 and have some good pointers and there is a few websites/forums that also exist.

Mudhen
Patrick Munhall
Eliot, ME
(7 posts)

Main British Car:
Mini, multiple

Date: April 12, 2012 06:10AM

Holy cow I guess so! Just read your thread - awesome!!!

I'm about a year [or so] behind you I guess - just got it up on a rotisserie and will be attacking the rust issues first. The shell isn't nearly as bad as some I've seen getting redone, though, so I'm hoping it will only take a month or two to get the new metal in and move on to building...fingers crossed of course.

Is there a way to 'subscribe' to threads here so you get emailed when someone responds?

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 13, 2012 09:25PM

I dont think so but if you possibly look at your account or profile maybe there could be some setting. The biggest thing is to remove all junk; paint, seam sealer, undercoating and sealant from the body joints/seams blast or some means of getting it super clean to stitch weld the body up! Also reinforce all your engine/ tranny & suspension mounts to the body. Last but not least and one thing I caught flack over is make sure you use moly tubing for the cage and have an X on the roof, two side bars and back hoop X with suspension pick up areas part of the cage. Do it right and you can have a car to use for Rally America, NASA and Targa Newfoundland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 07:56PM by WedgeWorks1.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 14, 2012 01:39PM

Welcome to the site, Patrick!

Sorry... no "subscribe" option. Honestly, you're the first person I recall mentioning it. It certainly would be a nice feature to add. We're running an older version of "Phorum" message board software and I'm reluctant to upgrade it because I KNOW there will be system downtime. (I'll have to re-do some old hacks and patches...) I bet the newest version of Phorum probably has it as standard.

Make sure to check out the "Project Journal" section, if you haven't already. Mostly hot rods of course... but hopefully we'll start seeing more racecar and rally projects there too. I can't wait to see yours!

I hope to get to a rally and photograph some cars so I can add them to the gallery. Not sure where to start! (Targa Newfoundland? Will I find many British cars there?) At the moment, I'm writing-up a Mini that used to rally long ago but it's been a vintage road racer for a long time now. Very simple roll hoop, nothing like a modern cage. Still, a few VERY cool bits on it! (e.g. Halda SpeedPilot timer, TripMaster dual odometer, etc.) Coming soon!

Mudhen
Patrick Munhall
Eliot, ME
(7 posts)

Main British Car:
Mini, multiple

Date: April 15, 2012 06:21AM

I wasn't quite sure of the differences of the tubing so did some research...now I'm more confused than when I started! What I read was that ERW wasn't as strong as DOM but it's used for heavier cars??? Or is that because the tube size requirement is greater or something.

[www.ioportracing.com]

Anyway, doesn't seem like there are any great venue's in the US for rallying an old car so was going to build to Rally America specs (ie, just follow the safety guidelines and not worry too much about making sure every little piece was period)...but now you mention Targa NF will check out their requirements as well.

Once I get some real headway going Curtis I might start a thread. Documenting on restorationmini.com right now...don't need the pressure of 2 forums seeing me fail if it becomes like so many other projects! :-)

Can't wait to see that Mini!

Pat

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 15, 2012 06:09PM

Pat,

You can use ERW tubing for targa and there is nothing wrong with it but any other organization requires DOM of some type. If it was me it depends on the minimum weight of the car. My TR8 due to removing everything not neccessary is going to be really lite! I ditched the AC, Power Sreering, all sound deadening, carpet, headlamp motors, etc and adding the ERW 1.75x.130 tubing put a good bit back into the car. I have a contact you can email for the Targa and he is one of the technical inspectors. There are many Minis in the event both old and new so they have no probelms getting you contacts to push your build along!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 15, 2012 10:22PM

I know that Terry Milnes whose '66 Mini is featured on BritishRacecar has driven a Mini at least once in the Targa Newfoundland, but I believe it was a different ('63) Mini. I'll send you his contact info via private message.

Have you found this article already: Do-It-Yourself Roll Hoop? - It includes just a couple of paragraphs at the bottom about 4130 vs. mild steel and ERW vs. DOM.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.