Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

I'm not getting any younger.
Posted by: roverman
Date: May 10, 2012 07:15PM

I decided what I "really" want for my b-day, my race car for Driver Schools/etc. Even if it's belated, it will be worth the wait. My Huffaker GT-1 car has waited long enough. Plan is to build a put-put 4.L rover,(300hp)?, to learn with. I shall "try" to make an Accusump work, (not a serious race motor). I would like to run the HSR West event at Fontana on June 22-24. They allow IMSA GT cars, of it's vintage, and since Group 44 ran them in IMSA....you see my logic here ? We shall see. Cheers, roverman

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: I'm not getting any younger.
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 10, 2012 09:07PM

If you want to get into more events, will you be able to race with someone besides HSR West?

It's probably worth your time to talk to drivers you plan to race with before you start writing checks. I just attended my first ever HSR event as a spectator, but I already knew a lot of the racers from other events/organizations. My first impression of HSR wasn't very good and I heard a lot of negative comments from racers too. Three examples: (1) I arrived at the track at 5:15pm and found out that they closed their registration trailer at 5pm - no exceptions. I had a crew pass and a paddock parking sticker reserved for me, but I couldn't get to them. (2) At the Mitty, HSR didn't set up a specific location for tech inspections. Racers who were there for their first HSR event had to wait for the inspector to come around to them. No schedule at all. If you miss the inspector when he does (hopefully) come around, you miss your practice session. From what I understand though, the safety inspections weren't very thorough. (3) Really crazy combinations of cars on the track at a time. 1972 Formula Fords (1600cc, no wings, and DOT legal street tires) sharing a racetrack with Formula 5000 cars and with 1990s Indy Lights. (Since when are they "vintage" anyhow?) My impression is that HSR is cool if you like diversity but that organizations with tighter rules attract some more serious racers.

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: May 10, 2012 09:51PM

Go for it, Art,

But how about using a a replica of the Trans Am Huffaker TR8 just to make sure nothing happens to the original.

sincerely,

keep them on the track,

phillip g

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 10, 2012 10:01PM

Based on ,the" British Extravaganza", at Buttonwillow, the Vara group seems like a friendly and well organized group of vintage motorheads. I just had the Fontana event as a closest/doable target. I was briefly in a vintage group, back in 1987, and I was sheduled to run the last vintage race at RIRW. As it turened out, the "chair" of the group bumped me for a friend of his, running a Super Beetle. While we're all standing for the National Anthem, this brilliant person is in the pits, reving the piss out of his motor. Not too surprisingly, it blew-up on the first lap. Maybe somewhat like HSR ? I hope not. Any suggestions from those with some track experiance is very welcomed. I'm definately a "newbie" for road racing. I'll probably start with a "Slalom or 2". This will allow me to use my "rain wheels", 14 x7" and NTo1 tires at about 1/3 cost of Hoosier slicks.Thanks., roverman.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2012 01:52PM by roverman.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 10, 2012 10:22PM

Phillip and clan, I promise to be real careful, as I don't like doing "bodywork" all that much. I woun't be bangin fenders like "some GT-2 people with fire in their eyes"/lol. Onward, roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.