Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Rover 3.5 V8 alternator
Posted by: Phillip G
Date: June 16, 2012 12:07PM

Racers,

I would very much appreciate some suggestions from past experiences ... for adding a small alternator to the front of a Rover 3.5 block/water pump. The SCCA GT2 Rover MG RV8 - running directly off a small battery - would find several benefits from a small alternator. Securely mounting the alternator and conforming to the water pump with a single belt is the goal. Too, a cold air induction filter and hosing are nearby the area for the alternator.

All suggestion - particularly simple and innovative solutions - will be much appreciated.

keep them on the track,

phillip g

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Rover 3.5 V8 alternator
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 16, 2012 01:52PM

something like this?

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/CurtisJacobson-F.jpg

That first view (above) is from when I had Buick 215 heads. Buick heads and Rover heads have different accessory bosses.

When I switched from Buick heads to Rover heads (like you have) I had to make a slightly longer steel outer bracket and also add a simple steel inner bracket between the cylinder head and the alternator. The inner bracket has a nut welded onto it, upon which the alternator pivots (to tension the belt.) As I recall both steel brackets are ~0.09" thick. If they were 1/8" thick they'd be obscenely overweight.

RoverAlternatorBrkt.jpg

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Re: Rover 3.5 V8 alternator
Posted by: Phillip G
Date: June 17, 2012 10:43AM

Thanx, Curtis,

The photos are a big help in designing some brackets for the new alterntor !

cheers,

phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.