Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

codeman
Billy Carr
Carbondale CO
(3 posts)

10/10/2012 08:48PM

Main British Car:
88 XJSC Jag 5.4 V12

XJS W LS1 & T56
Posted by: codeman
Date: October 10, 2012 09:15PM

Hi to all, I am interested in building an mid 80's XJS road rally car for events such as chihuahua express and la carrera panamericana and pikes peak. Going to be on a limited budget as always.

Any thoughts?

Billy

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Re: XJS W LS1 & T56
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: October 10, 2012 10:01PM

Add horsepower, reduce weight and put as much tire under it as you can.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 10, 2012 11:04PM

It's a fantastic idea! I wonder how light you can get an XJS...

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: October 11, 2012 06:35AM

You need to research the Group 44 Jagaur XJS cars for specifications. One thing they did was have superior brakes and were able to keep speeds constant. The cars are heavy to begin with and using a LS series V8 is better than doing anything with the V12. The 12 gets expensive fast. I have a bunch of Group 44 XJS pictures vintage and recent. I do love the flares on the 44 cars!

codeman
Billy Carr
Carbondale CO
(3 posts)

10/10/2012 08:48PM

Main British Car:
88 XJSC Jag 5.4 V12

Posted by: codeman
Date: October 11, 2012 10:20AM

I am thinking of the ls1 with the basic mods. Improved cold air intake, race cam, race headers and I was thinking of sidepipes like the group 44 car for a couple of reasons. Improved HP of course but also better ground clearance (Mexican roads) and also it will help give it a more of a American look as this beast will run the best motor for the money ever devised. The american sb v8.

Regards making it lighter. There is of course a good 100lbs saved just from the engine swap. I love that v12 and would love to race it. I just would need a sheik for a rich uncle to do so. Not only in fuel but parts as well.

Everything but the dash would come out and I will need a six point cage welded in.

I want safety as well as comfort in the race seats as most of the stuff I want to do is two people in the car all day for big distances.

Also will be installing cool shirt air and water to keep temps for the driver and co driver bearable.

I think that the t56 six speed as used in the new GTO is a pretty tough trans and will do what I want as standard. What do you guys think about that? I would rather not have to buy a special built racing version of that unit as the price trebles. However a busted trans on the side of the road in Mexico does not sound like fun either.

I am thinking of a reliable 500hp for the motor which I feel is almost a standard for a ls1 with the mods I want to do. Enough power to be competetive but not so much as to start needing special race versions of stuff like the trans.

I am also pretty easy on the car when I drive. I understand that to win or even do well. You have to make it to the finish line. Beating on the gear to acheive speed is not a very good way to go. Better to learn how to drive smoother at higher speeds.

Any other products or ideas would be welcome.

Thanks again
Billy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.