Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Sad News
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 11, 2012 11:33AM

Quote:
INDUSTRY: Lola Ceases Operations

Remaining employees at Huntingdon, England workshop laid off as administrators unable to find buyer for famed constructor...

Full story here.

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Re: Sad News
Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: October 11, 2012 06:02PM

sad but not unexpected, building race cars and parts is a very diffcult business to be in , Martin Berrane saved LOLA several years ago, injected capital and a new management style, went after new business where they could. It's a very costly business to be in, they branched into aerospace with LOLA composites and were very successful even diplaying at the Farnborrough air show, they were developing LMP cars, formula three cars, the less than F-1 cars etc etc.I suspect they were stretched pretty thin over time. Fabricating metal and composite parts is expensive in and of itself, add to that the parts are made using aerospace /aircraft specs andand have to stand up to legal ramifications, inspection and process requirements
to avoid litigation as well as ensuring the safety and performance .
Dave

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Sad News
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 12, 2012 12:43AM

I wonder about the trend toward single-make racing series. Lola submitted a proposal for Indycars in 2010, but lost out to Dallara. I think race fans benefit when there are multiple chassis designs on track. Maybe it's better for constructors too, in the long run.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.