Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Huffaker MGB , 2X national champ
Posted by: roverman
Date: March 29, 2013 01:34PM

Driven by Visger and Mueller. On ebay now. Good Luck, roverman.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Huffaker MGB , 2X national champ
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 30, 2013 02:01AM

Interesting. Surely this car deserves a better written and more accurate description.

If you're curious to read about Huffaker MGB racecars, you'll enjoy these two articles:

1) The Silver #9 Huffaker MGB

2) The Red #10 Huffaker MGB

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 01, 2013 02:04AM

For future reference, I thought perhaps I might record here that the auction ended without anyone bidding. The seller had entered a starting bid of $29,000... and probably had a reserve price set even higher than that. I'll paste the ad copy below, verbatim.

Quote:
1967 Huffaker Engineering MGB for sale from San Francisco Sports Cars. Arguably the single greatest MGB ever to race in the USA, the 1967 Huffaker Engineering 2 time national championship car. This is the silver MGB #11 Driven by Terry Visger to two national championships, and featured in Sports Car magazine plus several others. I have 90% of the orginal one of a kind parts plus extensive spares. The Huffaker signature single hoop roll cage is still in the car But there have been bars added to make the car SCCA Legal. This is the real silver #11 car that was raced by Terry Visger/Lee Muller; I have all log books, articles, pictures, etc. This car was SCCA National Champion in 76-77 and may be the single most significant MGB ever to race in the USA.
Equipped as follows...

Weight-1700 lbs
Displacement-1843cc (1.8 liter)
Heads by Huffaker / Prather
Forged steel crankshaft
Cross drilled connecting rods
Carillo rods
Cosworth camshaft
Delong & Prather valves
Roller rockers
ATL 30 gallon fuel cell
Holly fuel pump
Aluminum radiator
Weaver dry sump pump/peterson oil tank
Oil Cooler
Electromotive crank fire ignition system
Optima red top battery
Transmission is a Saenez five speed, dog Box with Tilton hydraulic slave cylinder and clutch
Tilton Flywheel
Tilton Multi Disc Pressure Plate
Aluminum Exhaust
Custom Step Headers
Rear end is a BMC/Huffaker locked & limited slip
Chassis is steel monocoque built by Huffaker Engineering/BMC
Front Suspension is coil over double A arms
Rear Suspension is full floating tri-link & adjustable panhard & sway bar
4 wheel disc brakes
1 set 15x7 Panasport competition rims with slicks
1 set 15x7 Panasports with rains
Fire System
Restraints- current 5 pt competition belts
Gauges-fuel pressure, water temp,rpm,oil pressure
Momo steering wheel

San Francisco Sports Cars
191 Industrial Rd
San Carlos, CA 94070
Brad Goldstone
415-847-4169

As I wrote the other day, I think the ad copy is a turn-off. Probably an even bigger problem is that this car has been modified so much from its original specifications, form, and presentation. It will take deep pockets, patience, skill, and hard work to restore it to the way Huffaker raced it.

I'm curious to read your comments and observations.

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: April 01, 2013 11:05AM

I do see some pros and cons especially with open production cars. They were either totaled back in the day or the configurations changed to meet new regulations. The Huffaker cars always have some additional bars added and the original BL transmissions replaced after they made it past their prime (no insults intended). If I wanted to go vintage racing and the HSR, SCCA, VSRA would let the car in across the boards as it is why not? Its a bit steep for price but cheaper than a Group 44 car and not a one off. Huffaker always had numerous cars.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 01, 2013 12:05PM

I am somewhat baffled. 2X national champ, If it was built buy Tullius and Co., would it come close to what the Tullius TR 8 sold for ? Is it the lack of V8 power ? It's likely the Tullius car sold for approx $250k ? Curtis, upon reveiwing the "parts list", like the Saenz dog-box trans,it seems the car is far removed from being E Prod legal ? "This" car couldn't garner a $29k starting bid ? Is GP Classics, "the" happening place to sell LBC's ?They "do" have very nice wine servers..... IMHO, roverman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 12:25PM by roverman.

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: April 01, 2013 02:17PM

Lets put the Group 44 stuff into not obtainable perspective. The one and only Midget they race is for sale now at $60,000 and maybe more since 2009. The GT6+ only sold for $55,000. The TR8 was $250,000. The TR6.......was in pieces but I am sure it was not cheap and the #4 Tr8 was $60,000 back in the late 90ies. The tube chassis XJS is for sale for about $600,000. That's right up there with the entry point of the XJR cars.

This makes the Huffaker cars seem like a steal! I wonder if the 5 speed box is legal if you consider the overdrive in a MGB of 4 speeds plus the two OD?

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 01, 2013 03:03PM

If I were financially smart, I'm not, perhaps I would ask GP Classics, how "they" would like to see my car restored ? Since I bought "Ol' 88" in 1983, I didn't actually think about, one day flippping it ? I simply refuse to retire, I'm not broke yet, roverman.

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: April 06, 2013 09:16PM

Racers,

Over two decades of MG SCCA racing in the U.S. 'of A.

NO one can discount the impct of Group 44 and Huffaker in National Sports Car racing.

Wish that the impact of MG AND Triumph could still be felt in National Sports Car SCCA racing.

keep them on the track,

phillip g

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.