Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Chump Car racer
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 08, 2014 08:30AM

We're back at working on the car, Steve got here yesterday afternoon. We put it on the lift, pulled the front suspension and swapped in the early crossmember and have been putting all that back together. A couple of interesting points. The inner fenders have to be dimpled up maybe 1/4" above the shocks. The front crossmember bolts have to be swapped out for shorter ones, or as we did, turn them down and cut new threads. The steering pinion gets shortened 1-7/16". Nothing special there but we did find dust in the steering rack, not a nice thing to see. The assembly will eventually have to be replaced.

I think we'll put the new brake pads on and finish that up this morning, then move on to the engine and tranny mounts. We installed my old set of Huffaker -1" front springs so the front end will come down noticeably. There is no front swaybar but Steve has a 7/8" bar at home. I think we will split the rear bar and use it for traction control, and then we'll have to decide how to deal with lowering the rear. Maybe a main leaf with reversed eyes will do the trick. We will also bolt up the T5 before the engine goes back in, and if we manage, we might finish up the bottom welds on the driver's floor.

I'll try to get some photos today.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: August 10, 2014 07:05PM

This weekend we swapped in an early front crossmember, which also involved shortening and rethreading the two rear bolts plus shortening the rack pinion 1-7/16", installed the T5 plus a new S10 slave cylinder, positioned the shifter at the rear shifter hole position which required liberal application of a BFH th the tunnel for bell bolt clearance, made up motor mounts and have the damper maybe 3/4" off the crossmember. Photos below.

IMG_0002.JPG

There is a bit more work on the mounts but you can see how it will go. The driver's side riser will be boxed, the other left open for a pass through.
IMG_0003.JPG

With the Huffaker -1" competition springs the front will sit about 2" lower than the stock '74-1/2. Thinking about having the rear springs de-arched and adding a leaf.
IMG_0004.JPG

Steering shaft splice.
IMG_0005.JPG

Exhaust port clearance is a little tight here. We are considering cast manifolds.
IMG_0006.JPG

Jim

Todd McCreary
Todd McCreary

(207 posts)

03/16/2012 10:57PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Todd McCreary
Date: August 30, 2014 02:42PM

you're planning on taking a stagger tape or gauge, right?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: August 30, 2014 09:20PM

Could be. If I knew what it was...

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: September 02, 2014 10:01AM

Do they really measure tire stagger for a road course car running street tires? I thought it was only used with racing slicks & oval tracks.

Todd McCreary
Todd McCreary

(207 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 02, 2014 01:37PM

Could be. If I knew what it was...

Stagger is difference in tire dia between the left and right side. You can use a tailor's tape or US race shops sell special "tire tapes" OR sliding gauges demarcated in ( inches / pi ).

[racecareng.com]

Stagger gauges are pretty hard to mishandle. Stagger TAPE measurements, on the other hand, should always be done by the same crewman with attention to repeatable procedure. It's very easy to induce variations in tape measurement.

It would be part of your post-pit tire analysis. Tire pressures and temps should be taken as soon as possible after the tires come off the car. Tread wear and stagger could wait a little bit.

I thought it was only used with racing slicks & oval tracks.

That was originally my thought as well. I've reconsidered though. In a 24hr race, you might burn tire sets bald. The delta in wear between L and R could be not inconsiderable by the end of the run.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 03, 2014 10:20AM

It's not a bad idea, it'd give us something to do during those long mandatory pit stops.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 03, 2014 12:12PM

Another Pit Stop coming up this weekend. Steve gets here Thursday afternoon, Dan will be here Friday evening. We will be fitting the radiator, finishing up the motor mounts, and perhaps installing the driveshaft and exhaust manifolds among other things. Matt will be here over the weekend and Dave will come over when he is free. Carl, and Scott, if either of you guys can make it that'd be great, and we'll not turn away any others who want to stop by.

As well as working on the racer, we will be trying to get Dan's TR7/1UZ conversion to where it can be fired up and driven if we can by the time he leaves on Tuesday.

My car is driveable but still needs wiring done on the transmission controller and a paddle shifter built. I don't expect to spend any time on that, but if I do get the bottom connectors done by then and I like the way it is acting I may take it down the street a time or two.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Rear Leaf Springs
Date: January 02, 2015 02:23PM

Here's a trick I missed that we could do.

http://www.britishracecar.com/MikeKusch-MGB/MikeKusch-MG-MGB-DH.jpg

http://www.britishracecar.com/MikeKusch-MGB/MikeKusch-MG-MGB-DF.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 02, 2015 08:40PM

That rear suspension has a number of what you might call creative solutions and a good bit of out-of-the-box thinking. I love to see those sort of solutions, innovations in suspension design tend to come slowly. I'm not real sure at this point exactly which solution we will use in lowering the car but it sure is nice to have options.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Roll Cage Reference Thread
Date: March 10, 2015 09:14AM

Quote:
Trying to build it to be approved for ChumpCar/Lemons racing.
Here's the gist of it.

At minimum, cage must include: Full front and rear hoop, appropriately braced to each other along the roofline (halo type and side/downbar type are also acceptable); two driver-side door bars (X-design is acceptable); appropriate main-hoop backstays with no bends, located as close to 45 degrees from horizontal as practical; one main-hoop diagonal; appropriate spreader plates and gussets; complete 360-degree welds at all joints, including all car-to-cage joints. Each major loadbearing member must be formed from a single, continuous tube. On all sides, all drivers' helmeted heads must be at least two inches inside the area enclosed by the cage.

I know I'm probably going to need to make a few modifications, but I wanted to avoid starting completely from scratch.

[www.mgexp.com]

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 05, 2015 08:15AM

We installed the driveshaft, re-packed the wheel bearings, cleaned up the brake rotors, got the calipers ready to install, put in the rear flex line, installed rear slave cylinders, plumbed the clutch hydraulics and bled the lines and even routed a bleeder line up close to the master. (In theory we could bleed the slave back into the master but at this point the fluid isn't clean enough for that.) We also shortened and installed the shifter, installed a water pump and carb, plumbed the fuel line and installed the valve covers. We decided to go with a stock MGB seat because the APC seat we have is just too big, sits too high, and we lose all front/rear adjustment. We got radiator hoses but haven't mounted the radiator yet so those weren't installed.

We need the front engine pulleys (2.8L), could use an MGB radiator support (I have no idea where the original one might have gone) and some sort of an air cleaner for the odd 2 bbl carb that was used on the 2.8, also an exhaust manifold for the driver's side. I expect we will have to cut and weld a stock one but we need a good starting point, which would be a stock rear dump manifold.

We have yet to lower the rear suspension also but we found a set of front swaybar links and reinforced them. We do not however, have the front lower control arm links that they attach to. The '74.5 had no swaybar and therefore used the plain links without the reinforcing plate and mounting hole. My last set went in modified form to Raliegh to be put on the MG-Roadmaster so I don't have any more of them. Took me quite awhile to figure out where the last pair had gone.

We also have a 13" TR7 steering wheel we are considering using, though it will require some sort of an adapter. The leather is stripped off but we are thinking of wrapping it with baseball bat grip wrap. Obviously open to an easier solution as I'm not seriously keen on more custom machine work at the moment.

All in all a good weekend. What doesn't really get conveyed by these reports is the sense of comraderie and brotherhood shared in these sessions, but it was without any doubt a bonding experience, and a good one.

Jim

Todd McCreary
Todd McCreary

(207 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 05, 2015 11:32AM

Next work weekend, post ahead of time. Maybe I can make it down.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 05, 2015 12:25PM

Quote:
We do not however, have the front lower control arm links that they attach to.

A set of negative camber lower A-arms would be nice!

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 15, 2015 09:27AM

I have a line on a set of negative camber lower A-arms with V8 bushings already installed.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 15, 2015 10:15AM

Great Carl, those should work fine. We can try them and see how well we like them, and it'll be a good opportunity to evaluate them anyway, this being an endurance event. I know a lot of owners have considered using them.

I think Steve has a stock seat we can use.

We need to decide on how we are going to lower the rear suspension but I'm inclined to just try flipping the main leaf of the spring pack and see what that does before moving on to something more difficult. Maybe de-arch it if we need to, or even reverse the arch. I'm not sure how much of that it'll take without breaking, but I do know I've seen leaf springs badly bent up in junkyards so we might be OK.

Once we have pulleys we can make the alternator mount, then once we install the brake flex lines and bleed the brakes we should be about ready to run. Oh yes, we need another exhaust manifold first so we can hook uo the exhaust.

I'm going to try to schedule a weekend between now and June 15 to give Dan a chance to get his wiring done. I don't know if you guys will be able to make another trip up here that soon, but let me know.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 15, 2015 11:52AM

I still have my original seats if you want.

I really think this leaf spring mod & restoring to the CB leaf spring mounts will do all we need for now.

Bent Leaf Spring

http://www.britishracecar.com/MikeKusch-MGB/MikeKusch-MG-MGB-DH.jpg

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 04:27PM by MGBV8.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
RB Leaf Spring Front Mount Mods
Date: May 15, 2015 04:32PM

Stock
RB Leaf Spring Front Mount.JPG

Modified
Leaf Spring Front Mount Mod 1.JPG
Leaf Spring Front Mount Mod 2.JPG

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
RB Leaf Spring Rear Shackle Mods
Date: May 15, 2015 04:52PM

Stock
RB Leaf Spring Shackle Mount.JPG

Modified
Rear Shackle Mod 5.JPG
Rear Shackle Mod 3.JPG
Rear Shackle Mod 7.JPG
Rear Shackle Mod 4.JPG

Tube is 1 1/16" mild steel pipe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 05:19PM by MGBV8.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: RB Leaf Spring Rear Shackle Mods
Date: May 15, 2015 04:54PM

Finished raised shackle
Rear Shackle Mod 6.JPG
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.