Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Anyone going to Watkins Glen vintage races next month?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 04, 2008 07:38PM

If I can figure out how to keep costs to absolute bare minimum, I just might be up for the trip!
Should be a good time, and a great opportunity to see and photograph some British V8's.

I've never been to The Glen. Anyone have tips or suggestions?

Quote:
Sportscar Vintage Racing Association - US Vintage Grand Prix

Friday - Sunday, September 5-7, 2008

The largest vintage racing event in the country and traditional season finale will commemorate 60th Years of Road Racing in The Glen. The event is held in conjunction with the Grand Prix Festival race reenactment on the village streets of Watkins Glen on Friday evening.

The weekend's featured marques will be Formula 5000, Triumph and the 50th Anniversary of Lola. WGI will also honor the sixth and final "Driver of the Decade" during the event. The weekend's featured guest has not been announced yet, so stay tuned for additional information.

For more information call 866-461-RACE.

The Racetrack: [www.theglen.com]
The Sanctioning Organization: [www.svra.com]
The Action: [www.svra.com]

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Anyone going to Watkins Glen vintage races next month?
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: August 04, 2008 09:17PM

Yep, been a few times and highly recommend it! - most recent trip was last September. It's a wonderful historic venue - where else can you get to do a lap on the original race circuit that starts in the middle of the town, climbs up into the hills, crosses a stone bridge, meanders through backroads before plummeting back down a steep incline back into town.
A good portion of the race cars do parade laps around the old track in a re-inactment of the older days, then line up down the main drag for all to see, ask questions of the drivers, take photos, kick tires, etc. Last year there were about 10 Bugattis (as below) parked at Smiley's Garage (the original historic Tech Inspection Centre) as part of the historic re-enactment and they also raced on the new track.
The paddocks (at the new track) are open to the public all weekend for wandering around the race teams. Managed to catch up with the very affable John Targett and took the attached pic of his "B".
Then it's off to the historic Seneca Lodge (the Glen's equivalent to Siebkens Bar in Elkhart Lake) for Guinness and spare ribs. Admission tickets for 3 days activities can be purchased in advance or at the new track ticket office (about $40-45 for the weekend).
It is my favorite track for Vintage racing!
100_1556.JPG
100_1575.JPG

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: August 04, 2008 09:46PM

Some more teasers........
100_1557.JPG
100_1563.JPG
100_1569.JPG
100_1576.JPG
Curtis, I'm 95% sure that I'm going again this year.....need to finalize plans with some others before I commit. I can send you a PM when confirmed.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: August 05, 2008 11:13AM

Y'all are killin' me. I would luv to go, but my doghouse is so boarded up I can't get out!

Years ago, our longtime neighbors moved to Watkins Glen for a year. I'm still kickin' myself for not going to visit them.

Some day, I hope to get to do a track day at the Glen.

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: August 30, 2008 08:19PM

If it helps with the getting some more interest, the two Group 44 TR8s will be there with Bob Tullius & Lanky Foushee! Tim Lanocha will have his turbo charge small block chevy Group 44 TR8 replica. There will also be two highly modified Group 44 TR8s from Canada too! One was recently created with a body kit from Tim Lanocha and the other was partially built by Group 44. To add some fireworks the first race entered by the Group 44 TR8s was at Watkins Glen in July of 1979. You can say it is a special event.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: August 30, 2008 11:59PM

I would really love to be there! Credit card bills have arrived, and now I'm aware what it cost me to attend the BritishV8 meet. I won't be traveling again anytime soon.

Mike, if someone will take very detailed photos of the TR8's you mentioned, I'd love to publish them here on the British V8 website. Ideally, I'd like to document the design and construction of each of these TR8's the same way we showed this much less historic racecar: [www.britishv8.org]

Immediately after the British V8 meet, I went up to Road America (where the Kohler International Challenge was held) and interviewed a gentleman who campaigns an MGB GT V8 racecar in SVRA's "Group 8". I'll include about 75 spectacular photos of that car's construction in our next edition. IMHO, it's the most interesting and most detailed "How It Was Done" article I've worked on yet.

Here's a teaser:
http://forum.britishv8.org/file.php?2,file=1585,in_body_attachment=1

Here's a link for the "How It Was Done" template, and also for photo submission tips: [www.britishv8.org]

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: August 31, 2008 05:40PM

is it an illusion or was the nose of that car streached? Or maybe the "just" the front suspension moved forward?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: August 31, 2008 06:18PM

It's an illusion caused by the fiberglass Sebring fender, valance, and bonnet (which looks like an MGC bonnet except with an even taller bulge.)

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: August 31, 2008 09:20PM

Curtis-

Tim is going to have his business partner do the photography & video taping of the cars and his with them. He did get a pit pass so I hope they let him in with car to park near the TR8s!

-Michael

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.