Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Alloy Healey streamliner.
Posted by: 88v8
Date: March 19, 2020 06:10AM

Slick panel work adorns this Healey of unknown vintage found in Illinois.

Alloy healey side.jpg

Racer? Wonder what instrumentation it has. Or Bonneville car... but as someone comments, why take all that trouble and then spoil the airflow with a clunky roll bar.

Alloy healey.jpg

Factory car or home brew? My bet is it was built with that V8.

Alloy healey steering.jpg

SBC which may be 67 Camaro.

Alloy healey sbc.jpg

Read all about it here [barnfinds.com])

Ivor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2020 06:11AM by 88v8.

LUMINUM
Scott Moler

(1 posts)

11/02/2019 01:05AM

Main British Car:

Re: Alloy Healey streamliner.
Posted by: LUMINUM
Date: July 21, 2020 12:54AM

Greetings Ivor, Thanks for sharing this. I never realized my post at ahexp.com was receiving attention. I actually purchased the car in Southern Michigan, where it has been since it was auctioned in mid-90s to previous owner. Before that, it seems to have been in Wisconsin . As far as I know it has no history in Illiois. There is a body sticker from the 44th Bonneville Nationals from '92 and also a reproduced 1960 sticker.

20200720_010957.jpg
20200720_013435.jpg

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: July 25, 2020 04:42AM

Aha!
Thanks for dropping in.
So, what's it like to drive? Do you use it on the road?

Ivor

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 02, 2020 06:53PM

The barnfinds page includes an old (apparently early-1990s) magazine article. In it, a previous owner is quoted about his personal plans to update the old racecar to make it street legal. He specifically mentioned adding headlights, brake lights, a larger windshield, and a passenger seat. Apparently none of those changes were made. In my opinion, that's a good thing!

As a street car, it would need more than lights. No way would the MGB radiator be sufficient, especially with no ductwork and a marginally efficient electric fan. (I don't believe that particular fan is period correct, btw.)

I'd bet the roll hoop was probably required at some point by a race sanctioning organization. If so, things like tube diameter and wall thickness were probably specified. The horizontal tube looks like it was probably included to act as a headrest. If the car was built for one kind of racing (e.g. speed record) and then used even once for another (e.g. road racing), that might explain things like mirrors.

I'd love to see many more photos!

I hope y'all don't mind me moving this thread to the racecar sub-forum... with hopes it gets an infusion of readers there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.