Race Cars and Motorsports

if it's about racing, spectating, performance driving, or race-prep... this is the place

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

USC_Cowboy
Michael Heineke
La Mirada CA (11 miles east of Los Angeles)
(6 posts)

12/03/2013 04:50PM

Main British Car:
1960 Aston Martin DB2-4 Mark III 3 liter; 1965 Jag

Looking for Info Re: Paul Cunningham's MG / Buick Special
Posted by: USC_Cowboy
Date: July 06, 2020 03:02PM

Hi All,

I would appreciate any information, other photos, recollections, etc. about this MG Special, 215ci aluminum engine, Hilborn direct injection, T-10 close ratio 4 speed trans, Halibrand quick change rear-end, halibrand alloy wheels with knock-off hubs, approx 425hp, very quick and it qualified for the Times-Mirror Riverside Gran Prix against internationally famed cars and drivers.

Michael Heineke
Stepson of Paul Cunningham, the Race Driver
Riverside-1963-02-03-037 Paul C.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 08:00PM by Moderator.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Looking for Info Re: Paul Cunningham's MG / Buick Special
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 07, 2020 08:59PM

I don't have any personal knowledge of Paul Cunningham or his car, but I can post a few links that might help others remember...

The photograph above was taken by Tam McPartland and it appears with caption on McPartland's website, here: [www.tamsoldracecarsite.net]
Incidentally, Cunningham's Kurtis/Pontiac is also shown on McPartland's website, here: [www.tamsoldracecarsite.net]

Cunningham apparently registered his MG special as "The Terrible Tempest": [www.racingsportscars.com]
(He was sponsored by Chieftain Pontiac. Pontiac division installed 215's in their "Tempest" model car.)

He entered the MG in at least 8 races, as listed here: [www.racingsportscars.com]
You can drill down in that website to see who/what he raced against. Example: [www.racingsportscars.com]

USC_Cowboy
Michael Heineke
La Mirada CA (11 miles east of Los Angeles)
(6 posts)

12/03/2013 04:50PM

Main British Car:
1960 Aston Martin DB2-4 Mark III 3 liter; 1965 Jag

Re: Looking for Info Re: Paul Cunningham's MG / Buick Special
Posted by: USC_Cowboy
Date: July 10, 2020 04:26PM

I have a 215ci BOP (from Buick, narrowest width design) engine disassembled, and set of Adjustable Push-Rods (manufactured by Smith Engineering), brand new Venolia forged aluminum pistons (11.5:1 compression design), Connecting Rods (radiused and shot-peened) , Block (align bored block, .030 over-bored cylinders work performed by Reath Automotive), Crankshaft (trued, radiused, shot peened and magnafluxed). Plan was to recreate the "Terrible Tempest" as it was awesome in performance and sound. Cancer got in the way and I cannot complete my plan. For sale---make offer. michael@heinekegroup.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.