The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

65elcmo
Steve Michaelson

(6 posts)

03/18/2011 08:29PM

Main British Car:

Hi Newbe hare.
Posted by: 65elcmo
Date: March 21, 2011 10:26PM

Hi I'm Steve from Tucson, AZ. I am a retired mechanic, service manager that has always been a Chevy nut with several muscle cars in my garage. I am currently building a 65 El Camino 383 4 speed. Since I drove a 59 and 64 Corvette I still want a small fast roadster. Healy,Sunbeam V8 but they are too pricey. I had a MGA when in the Navy to drive back and forth to base and liked it a lot. I thought about that but now being older and in AZ I want roll up windows and A/C to extend the drive season. I'm leaning toward a Triumph TR6. I like the rolled fender openings and the overall look better than a MGB.
I have a 350 Chevy and 4 speed in the garage. Is it a big deal to put it in there? Does anyone make enginr/trans mount kits?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Hi Newbe hare.
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: March 21, 2011 11:42PM

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. I'm not aware of any kit for a Chevy into a TR6 but building the necessary mounts shouldn't be too much of a hassle for someone with your experience. There are several Chevy powered TRs in the photo section to look at and you can see how others have done the installation. I know that you already have the 4 speed, but these days most guys are using T5s instead, they like the overdrive ratios for highway use and to help with mileage. The Chevy really isn't the best fit in a B but works fine in a TR6, a good choice of chassis for that engine.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 22, 2011 10:34AM

Check the trader section --- there was a nice TR-6 that sounded like a good deal. Although, I think it had a Ford 302 or 351 in it instead of a Chevy mill.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 22, 2011 11:38AM

Here's a Chevy V8 powered TR6 for sale: [forum.britishv8.org]

You're talking about a very powerful engine. Putting the power down will require a strong frame. You could rebuild and reinforce the stock one, but I'd recommend you consider an all-new frame. Some people build their own... But there are two shops that build really exceptional TR6 frames and suspension upgrades, and both of them advertise on BritishV8: FastCars and RATCO. Great guys. If I were you, I'd start by giving both of them a phone call.

65elcmo
Steve Michaelson

(6 posts)

03/18/2011 08:29PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 65elcmo
Date: March 22, 2011 10:01PM

Thanks for the replys. I'll check this out further as I have to finish the Elco first. Just planning ahead at this time but wanted some input from you experts. Thanks, Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.