The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Question about future British V8 meets...
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 01, 2008 03:44AM

I'm posting to pass along a question / offer / suggestion for one or more future British V8 meets.

The question came via e-mail from dedicated Triumph TR8 enthusiast Michael Perkins. Mike wrote:
Quote:
I have been chatting with Tim Lanocha President of Triumph Wedge Owners Association (TWOA) and he has mentioned trying to get some other groups involved with The Roadster Factory Show. A few years back the events, costs, and attendance had dropped and so the show is only a small portion of what it was. I don’t know if you have ever been to one, but it was fun in the day. Tim has some thoughts about getting another club involved with reviving the meet. I know you are kind of running things so maybe you can pass around the question or get some feed back of a British V8 national meet along with a National TWOA meet at Roadster Factory Summer Party?

For the record, I responded as follows:
Quote:
Thanks for getting in touch! I’d very much like to attend the TRF Summer Party, and I’ve certainly been meaning to get out and meet more Triumph folks in person. (I’ve never been in touch with Tim or with Roadster Factory – and I feel bad about not introducing myself one way or another.)

You asked if we might coordinate our meets…

The “British V8 2009” meet is already scheduled for Raleigh North Carolina in May, and “British V8 2010” is being planned for Indianapolis. As far as I know, the location of “British V8 2011” is still “TBD”, although some people have been lobbying for having the meet west of the Mississippi.

I personally have almost nothing to do with scheduling the annual meets, although I’ve enjoyed attending four of them now! These last three years, I’ve been focused on taking notes and photos of whatever happens AT the meets. It’s a funny thing, but we’re not a “club”… Someone has to volunteer to do the enormous amount of work of planning each meet, and thus the meets have always (so far as I know) happened near a volunteer’s home. However, if someone were to lay out a case for coordinating our 2011 meet with the Roadster Factory’s Summer Party… maybe people would get excited about that fine idea!

I’ll post your question in our message board’s “pub” section and we’ll just see what people say…

Background info:
a) The Roadster Factory ("TRF") is located in Armagh, PA. That's where their summer party is held.
b) TRF sells both Triumph and MG parts, but historically they've been more focused on Triumph.
c) The Triumph Wedge Owners Association ("TWOA") includes both TR7 and TR8 enthusiasts.
d) Of course, all TR8's are by definition "British V8s" because they came with V8 engines in the first place.
e) Quite a lot of TR7's have been converted to V6 or V8 power...

My personal opinions:
a) I'd like to do whatever is feasible to make Triumph enthusiasts (including "wedge" owners and modifiers) feel more welcome and accommodated at British V8 annual meets.
b) As I told Mike, I don't feel that it's my personal role to schedule meets.
c) Pennsylvania is nice and I'd certainly attend the British V8 annual meet if it were held there.

Please post your comments / ideas / suggestions!

p.s. If you want to contact Mike directly, the easiest way is to use our message board software to send a "private message" to UserID "WedgeWorks1".

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Question about future British V8 meets...
Posted by: rficalora
Date: August 01, 2008 08:08AM

I think it's a great idea -- let's use the opportunity to more formally invite their group to join us in 09/10 & do the 11 meet there. I wouldn't suggest starting to do all our meets in one place though --- I think attendance would drop off if it were the same place every year. Part of the draw is the different venue/experience each year. But, doing it with them in PA in 11 could broaden the community a bit.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: August 01, 2008 09:03AM

I haven't attended the RF Summer Party, but a very close friend of mine here in KC went to it a few years ago in his TR8 and did not give the event a raving review. As I remember he said it was very expensive (they charged extra for so many things that most shows include in the registration fee). Steve's been to shows all across the country in both his MG Midget and TR8 so has a lot of experience to draw on. Based on his experience I can't see how coordinating with the RFSP would be of any real benefit to the British V8 group except perhaps to attract some TR8 or modified 7 owners. Judging from the cars covered in the photo section of the newsletter, TR7 and 8 owners don't seem to have the same attraction for the British V8 group as the TR6 or Spitfire guys. Perhaps it's a similar situation to that of the RV8/MGBV8 group, too factory to feel at home with a bunch of hot rods. All in all I can't see a big plus for the tie. "The preceding was just an opinion of the writer and does not reflect represent the British V8 organization or newsletter"
Bill Young

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 01, 2008 10:33AM

Bill brings up a valid point. While I don't think there's anyone that attended any of the British V8 meets including the last ones who would say they didn't get their money's worth and more, yet we've seen the costs inch upwards bit by bit. This year's event may well have been the costliest one yet and attendance was down significantly. I'm not saying that was the reason for it, (I went and took my family you know) still with the increase in gas prices I know good and well the cost made it more difficult for more than a few of our compatriots to make it. To me this is a disturbing trend. Historically MGB and Triumph owners have chosen a different financial strata than say, your typical Ferrari owner and I'd hate to see us increase costs to the point that we're only meeting with the well heeled in our group. I think the diversity of seeing what can be done on a budget enriches all of us. To be honest, I'd rather see us all camping in a field than excluding someone because they can't raise the motel fees. Fact is, we'd all have just as good of a time doing it.

So I'm against raising costs if it can be avoided. If the TRF folks can accommodate that request I'm all for a joint meet.

Jim

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: August 01, 2008 11:27AM

It might be fun to coordinate a meet with Don Watson and the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix he posted pictures of yesterday. Or maybe TWOA could hold their event in Raleigh next May, or Indy the next year... something like that. It seems that this group would have more in common with a car owners' group than with a vendor party. I certainly would like to see more doorstops.

Nothing against TRF or their Summer Party. I have heard it was a good time. But, as Bill said, it is expensive, and that is one of the reasons I have never made the effort to go. Jim and I even briefly talked about going this year.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: August 01, 2008 12:32PM

I wasn't aware of some of those perspectives on the RF summer party (expensive, less open "feeling", etc.). I think the thing that's the most valuable about the British V8 meet is that it's just a group of Britsh hot rodders getting together, sharing stories, driving, etc. I wouldn't want to lose that.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: August 01, 2008 03:54PM

Just my opinion....

...but....

I feel that we need to be careful in "attaching" or "aligning" the British V8 meet with a meet that incorporates an existing (or for that matter, even a new) event that encompasses "non-spurious" British cars.

I've attended almost all of the MG V8/British V8 meets since 1999. (I missed 2007.) We are a very unique group of individuals who are seldom understood and sometimes accepted even less by the general LBC community. Very few of our "guys" are into collecting "hardware" (trophies); something that is big with popular vote LBC shows. Heck...we have never even had a "car show" per se...let alone popular voting. As Rob states in his post of 8/1/08...." the thing that's the most valuable about the British V8 meet is that it's just a group of Britsh hot rodders getting together, sharing stories, driving, etc. I wouldn't want to lose that."

Well you know what...I don't want to lose that, either! And it would and will happen if British V8 is combined/coordinated with another event. Our events are designed with our attendees needs (tech sessions) and wants (track days, dynos, etc) in mind. Throw our 50 some-odd (pun intended) attendees into a group of 100 or more LBC enthusiasts and we WILL lose the autonomy that we have carved out for ourselves.

To "latch onto" an event purely to provide a venue for our gathering is wrong.

Before I ramble on too much....I'll quit without adding even more words to ponder.

Passionately submitted....

FWIW - YOMV - and other Standard Disclaimers.

rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2008 11:52AM by mowog1.

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: August 02, 2008 09:10AM

Rick stated the case as well as i think it can be presented. our group tends to be independent and do things their way. we have enough structure in the group to accomplish amazing meets as evidenced by past events. no one ridicules others work and ideas since most of us have been there also. there are some amazing conversions and will be many more. let's keep our unique group together and continue doing it our way!

psmg
Paul Schils
Fredonia, WI
(89 posts)

12/13/2007 10:27AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB-GT, Buick 215 1971 MGB RD, SBF 302

authors avatar
Posted by: psmg
Date: August 02, 2008 09:31AM

I agree with Rick and Kelly. Let's not lose the unique situation that our group has. I have never been associated with an assortment of people and personalities that get along so well together. I can't wait for next years event in Durham.

harv8
Martyn Harvey
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
(189 posts)

10/23/2007 10:09PM

Main British Car:
MGB Rover V8, TVR Chevy V8, MGB GT Ford V8

authors avatar
Posted by: harv8
Date: August 02, 2008 04:16PM

Well said Rick, Kelly and Paul. I completely agree with you guys. Let's not lose the uniqueness of this group. I personally have always liked the welcoming, accepting, sharing cameraderie of this group. I have found that a "group" can grow too big and become something different than it started out. I think people can attend any other show if they want to, there's certainly lots out there.........but there isn't another like this one! I think the group can continue to develop but let's decide what "the group" wants. Let's be careful with it.

Cheers!

Martyn

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: August 02, 2008 06:12PM

It sounds to me like we're all in perfect agreement about maintaining the unique nature of our meets!

But for a moment, please consider that British V8 2006 was scheduled immediately before and in close proximity to "MG2006". Our meet was in Townsend TN and the 1000+ car annual MG show was just down the road in Gatlinburg TN a few days later. Folks like Robert & Susan Milner - who drove in all the way from California! - were able to combine purposes and participate in both events.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: August 02, 2008 06:58PM

Moderator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sounds to me like we're all in perfect
> agreement about maintaining the unique nature of
> our meets!
>
> But for a moment, please consider that British V8
> 2006 was scheduled immediately before and in close
> proximity to "MG2006". Our meet was in Townsend TN
> and the 1000+ car annual MG show was just down the
> road in Gatlinburg TN a few days later. Folks like
> Robert & Susan Milner - who drove in all the way
> from California! - were able to combine purposes
> and participate in both events.

I am well aware of that...in fact I lobbied very hard to get the V8 meet scheduled for that date so that both events could be attended...

But....these were SEPARATE events....and autonomy and freedom was retained.

:)

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: August 02, 2008 07:38PM

Cool. I expect that probably closes the matter for now. I've drafted a quick follow-up note to Mike.

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Following up… there’s been some interesting discussion on our message board.

(You can review it here: [forum.britishv8.org] ).

The basic drift seems to be that TWOA members are certainly very warmly invited and welcome to participate at our British V8 meets, but there’s little interest within British V8 ranks for combining or making our meet simultaneous to an event like The Roadster Factory’s summer party. I guess that leaves open the possibility we might one day schedule a meet back-to-back and in the same vicinity… but not “combined” per se. I do, of course, wish TRF success in reviving the summer party’s grandeur.

Very warm regards,
Curtis

harv8
Martyn Harvey
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
(189 posts)

10/23/2007 10:09PM

Main British Car:
MGB Rover V8, TVR Chevy V8, MGB GT Ford V8

authors avatar
Posted by: harv8
Date: August 03, 2008 12:56AM

I remember attending the 1998 V8 Meet in Annapolis and I seem to recall attending the NAMGBR 98 show in Frederick on the way down. I'm thinking that was the time that the host of the TV show "My Classic Car" (the guy with the handlebar moustache) featured the V8s on his show and drove Mike's car! I'm also thinking that "time flies"!!!!!!!!....and the memory becomes less clear. Thanks goodness for photos and videos. Thanks again Curtis for this amazing website that documents our activites so well. Also, some of us attended the University Motors Summer Party in 2004 while we partied across the road at the Excel Inn for the 2004 British V8 Meet in Grand Rapids.

302V8
Pete Mantell
Sidney, IL
(96 posts)

10/23/2007 09:47AM

Main British Car:
69 MGB 302 V8 Ford 302 '347' stroker 505HP 440ftlbs

Posted by: 302V8
Date: August 03, 2008 01:07PM

FWIW - I also agree with Rick, Kelly, Paul & Martyn.
We ARE a unique bunch.

Just take your Modified/Converted V8/V6/I4/I6 to any regular LBC event.
You'll get the cold shoulder/nose in the air feeling from 85% of the attendees.
We are the (if you parden) "@#$%& of the Bunch".
A cross between British Car Enthusiast and Hot Rodder.

Just my 2 cents.........

Cheers

Pete

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: August 03, 2008 01:38PM

I would like to correct Pete Mantell statement, Pete you said the following
"You'll get the cold shoulder/nose in the air feeling from 85% of the attendees." I wouol like to se the record straight by saying that your staement is incorrect, those people would love for us to stay away, far away, the % is more like 99.9% I have experienced that % and I keep going for more cold shoulders and wet noses every time I get, I REALLY ENJOY DOIN IT TO THEM.

I, in the other hand I totally agree with Kelly. HOORAH !!!! We are a unique bunch no just the cars.

302V8
Pete Mantell
Sidney, IL
(96 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 03, 2008 01:54PM

You're correct Bill. I guess it depends on events. 99.9% is probably more accurate.

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: August 03, 2008 02:33PM

Pete, I was just.....well laughing. In Ca. this holds true.

302V8
Pete Mantell
Sidney, IL
(96 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 03, 2008 06:23PM

:)

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: August 03, 2008 07:54PM

FWIW Seems we agree on the unique nature and diversity of our group. Now we really need to attract some younger people to keep the group growing & going. Many of us are "Old Hot Rodders" and have been around the block several times. Without new people and fresh ideas, we will become stagnant and not grow our membership. How do you guys and girls suggest we position ourselves to attract quality new members or devotees? We really need to get some young "Blood" within our ranks. Never mind the "Grim Reaper," he all ways collects his share.
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.