The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 31

sbunter
Steve Bunter
York, UK
(1 posts)

04/11/2010 11:10AM

Main British Car:
MK Indy (Lotus 7 Replica) Yamaha R1

authors avatar
Re: Introduce Yourself Here!
Posted by: sbunter
Date: April 11, 2010 11:35AM

Hello all.

I'm Steve, based in York in the UK (the mini apple, if you like...).

I've just spent the last 4 years building a Lotus 7 replica with a bike engine. However, no sooner have I finished it than my wife has lost her job so it's being sold.

So - my plan is to cream a little off the sale money and buy myself an MG Midget in need of restoration and busy myself wth that for a while. Basic plan is to strip it back to the chassis, modify the suspension (5 link rear axle and coilover conversion at the front - something along the lines of the Huffaker setup) and fit an R1 bike engine.

Bodywork wise I'll be fitting a set of GRP frogeye bodywork (steel panels are prohibitively expensive for the frogeye), and going with a brooklands aeroscreen.

I reckon I can get the weight down to something similar to my 7 (460kg wet), which with the same bike engine does 0-60 in about 4 seconds flat.

I guess I've got a steep and no doubt emotional learning curve ahead, but hey, that's part of the thrill (isn't it?).

Cheers

Steve.

TBailey
Todd Bailey
Kingsport, Tennessee
(3 posts)

04/13/2010 09:17PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB

authors avatar
Posted by: TBailey
Date: April 16, 2010 10:05PM

Hi,

My name is Todd Bailey. I am a lifelong resident of Kingsport, Tennessee. I have been involved in motorsports for the last 18 years (Drag racing and circle track). I also work in the performance aftermarket as the Director of Purchasing for a medium size warehouse wholesaler. My stable includes a 1980 Porsche 911SC which I am just now completeing after a three year resto; a 1985 Corvette, and now my 1979 MGB project. I am planning a 302 swap. I am most fortunate to find my MG in such a fantastic condition...no rust, perfectly straight, and a decent interior. I'm very happy to find this site and have already spent a considerable amount of time researching the fine cars and photos contributed by your many quality members. I too hope to make a contribution as my project takes shape.

This MGB is my second actually. My first was an '80 model that I loved dearly for 1 1/2 months before driving it under a school bus at the ripe old age of 18. I have always loved these cars and now, considering my occupation, it is just natural that I swap the 1.8 for some Ford Muscle. I enjoyed driving the car home so much...I almost considered delaying the swap.

Thanks for such an informative site. I hope that my future input will be of as much value as I have already gleaned from these great folks here now.

Todd

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: April 17, 2010 09:33AM

Todd, welcome to the world of MG/blue oval......you should meet up with fellow Kingsport enthusiast, Carl Floyd.
[www.britishv8.org]
Carl is not a Ford gearhead (he has this thing for bowties) but has been driving his Buick powered conversion for years - he knows these cars inside-out and he's in your neighborhood..

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1364 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: May 19, 2010 04:39AM

Hi,
I,m Fred and I hail from Abbotsford B.C. Canada. Have been a car nut my entire life and like many different styles of vehicle but always seem to be magically drawn to british stuff.
I own a european car repair shop and can actually make an SU carb work well!
My current punishment includes a Jensen Interceptor, Delorean, 3 Citroen SMs, Alfa Milano, Volvo P1800ES, Lotus Elite, my baby a 78 Lotus S2 Esprit with a Le mans engine. And the daily drivers a Volvo TGB military radio truck and a 1957 Lambretta LD150 scooter.
The disease has been passed on to the rest of the family as well. My wife and oldest daughter both have supercharged Range Rovers and the youngest daughter has a slammed and flamed Volvo 122
My current projects are camperizing the TGB and building a really hot, big inch, Lotus headed Rover V8 for the Elite. But the distractions are many, oh look at the kitty, and working for yourself consumes enormous amounts of time.
I am very technical and can make anything go quickly. In particular a cold beer or a nice red wine.
Anyway thats me and thanks for reading.

Cheers
Fred

Remember, a positive attitude may not get you everything that you want in life....but it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4575 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 19, 2010 12:29PM

Quote:
and building a really hot, big inch, Lotus headed Rover V8 for the Elite.

I hope you're taking lots of photos!

Welcome to the BritishV8 forum, everyone.

ToyBug
Dan Wilson
Colorado Springs
(14 posts)

06/01/2010 10:09PM

Main British Car:
1959 Bugeye Sprite, 50's MG Special Toyota 2-TC 1600cc, MGB 1800

stuffed Sprites
Posted by: ToyBug
Date: June 01, 2010 11:27PM

Hi, all;
My name is Dan Wilson, and I live in Colorado Springs. Back in 1963 I stuffed a Volvo B16B and Volvo 4 spd in my first Bugeye. I survived that experience, had alot of fun, learned some things the hard way, like how to change a broken axle on the Pasedena Fwy at nite...my date was suitably impressed. In 1974, I bought another Bugeye in Santa Ana,CA, and thought I'd just fix it up. Should have known better...36 years later, it has a DCOE 45 fed Toyota 2-TC hemi, matching Toyota 5 spd, my own front suspension with inboard shocks, and a four bar rear (think Lotus 7) with Carrera coil-overs. It's rhd, and is currently apart to add double brg rear hubs and fix a rear suspension glitch. Current wheels are 6x13 Chevy Vegas with 185/60 Yokohama A008R slicks for autocross. I know that's an old tire, the car hasn't been driven since '97. I had to go vintage motocrossing for a while while I could still climb on.... Now have a set of Two Gates "minilite" 7x13 wheels off a friends' classic Mini, looking for a suitable street performance tire, thinking that current "street" tires are more than a match for the older racey tires... a couple of pix of the Sprite lifetime project attached.
My next (lifetime?) project, for which I have most of the major bits in hand, will be a tube framed MG (B) Special, along the lines of the Ken Miles R1 and Bud Hand MG Special. Cycle fenders, exposed rear spare, track T roadster nose, staggered seats, big and little Vredestein Sprint Classic tires on Dayton 15" wires, Datsun 240Z rear alfin brakes, and a 300zx five speed. If I live long enough.... My daily driver is an 04 MINI Cooper S, now for sale to make room for my new 2010 CooperS Clubman on the boat in the middle of that oil spill as I write this...
Toybug001.jpg
Sprite frontend001.jpg
Sprite frontend002.jpg

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: June 02, 2010 08:56AM

Welcome Dan, always glad to see more modified Spridgets. As you know 13" tires are getting difficult to find in performance sizes. Other than Hoosier's the best street tires I've found are Sumitomo's from the Tire Rack. I'm running some old Yokahama A048s now, but will go with the Sumi's when those are done.

Mikeyq_2
Mike Cramer

(1 posts)

06/07/2010 02:55PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Mikeyq_2
Date: June 09, 2010 02:27PM

Hi, My name is Mike, I have a 74 1/2 MBB, been parked in the garage for more years than I care to think about. I am currently looking to put a 302 with some bite... T5 with a narrowed mustang rear end. I want to upgrade the front and rear suspension. Currently live in Northern California, great info here.

Mike

DonGilham
Don Gilham
Norfolk UK
(1 posts)

06/20/2010 05:16AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB GT V8 (factory)

authors avatar
Posted by: DonGilham
Date: June 20, 2010 06:02AM

Hi Everyone

I've been lucky enough to buy Dave Welling's V8 which was subject to an extensive rebuild by him a few years back.

[www.britishv8.org]

I recently bought an 1800 MGB GT (1967) - my first MG - having owned a Dax Tojiero for a few years. But I missed the V8 power (and the sound, ohh the sound) and when the chance came to buy Dave's ex-V8 I jumped at the chance.

Happy V8-ing :)

Ianp
Ian Porteus
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
(7 posts)

07/03/2010 11:27PM

Main British Car:
Soon to be TR6

Posted by: Ianp
Date: July 04, 2010 12:45AM

In reply to [forum.britishv8.org]

Hello all.
I have wanted a TR6 since I was a teenager. The time has arrived to buy one...maybe.

About me: I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. My mechanical skills are more than the average person, as I went to a “vocational” high school and took autobody, automechanics, welding, machine shop, sheet metal and 4 other shops. I even painted a car, once, in 1982. I worked as an electronics and Quality Assurance technician, so have done a lot of prototyping, light machining, wiring and am familiar with hand and power tools and spray painting (albeit on small enclosures, not cars). I was a QA inspector on the refurbishments of 2 nuclear reactors at Pickering nuclear generating station, so you know I have an eye for detail and am a stickler for doing things right and have no tolerance for lazy, slipshod work (it took 2 years for my brothers to stop making mushroom clouds over Toronto jokes). Being employmentally challenged for far too long, I am starting a 1 year Paralegal Diploma course in August.

With my other vehicles I have done basic tune ups, oil changes and minor repairs, although I am confident of doing more complicated work given a good set of instructions. My apartment didn't come with a garage, so I can only do a limited amount of work on my car myself, and don't have the equipment to do much anyway.

This forum is terrific, I have already learned a few important things by reading some of the old threads. There are many other questions I need answering though, before deciding to buy one or not.
See my post in the Triumph Sports Cars section. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give.
[forum.britishv8.org]

Ian
1839.gif

tundratiger67
Randy Zimmermann
River Falls, WI
(2 posts)

07/24/2009 11:06PM

Main British Car:
1967 Sunbeam Tiger Ford 260 V8

Posted by: tundratiger67
Date: July 24, 2010 09:51AM

Hello fellow British V8 enthusiasts:

When I was a kid growing up in the 60's, my older brother brought home first a red 61 Sunbeam Alpine, then a green 65 Tiger while he was in the service. He didn't keep them long and moved on to the popular all-American muscle cars of the day. Years later I was looking for a restoration project and stumbled upon a 67 Tiger for sale in the Chicago area via the internet (this was 1995). It was in rough shape but with amazingly little rust for a Midwest vehicle.

I trailered it home to Minnesota and began what I thought would be a 3-year restoration project. Ten years, 3 kids and a couple of job changes later, I finally got it back on the road. The rebuilt Ford 260 V-8 is paired with a stout 4-speed toploader that gives the little beast plenty of get-up-n-go. My goal was to return it to stock condition and, as you can see in the picture, it's looking pretty darn close to original.
DSC01898 small.JPG

If you're visiting northern Minnesota and around Lake Superior, keep an eye out for my little green beast!

Stumpy
Ewen Sutherland
New Zealand
(5 posts)

07/25/2010 03:51AM

Main British Car:
1977 TR7 Rover 3.5 V8

authors avatar
1977 TR7 V8
Posted by: Stumpy
Date: July 25, 2010 04:21AM

Hi there, I'm a newbie to this forum and stand in awe of some of the projects you guys do. My car is a 1977 TR7 4 speed. Actually its a nil speed at the moment as she's stripped to the shell. Most of the 4 speed parts are gone as I'm now collecting Rover 3.5 parts. I have a P6b engine, big brake kit and have just negotiated a deal for 5 speed Lt77 box, bellhousing, prop shaft and 5 speed diff along with a 3.08 crownwheel and pinion from an SD1. I am from New Zealand in the South Pacific where we have a relatively strong classic car community. I look forward to reading and learning from a lot of your experiences.
Cheers, Ewen
work in progress.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 04:32AM by Stumpy.

highmileage
B. D. Howard
LSD (Lower Slower Delaware)
(29 posts)

08/10/2010 04:41PM

Main British Car:
Fidget and Jagrolet Fidget -Ford V8 powered Midget, Jag XJ w/ Chevy V8

Posted by: highmileage
Date: August 12, 2010 05:05PM

Greetings all
Posted by: highmileage
Date: August 11, 2010 01:33PM

I just came across this site yesterday. Wow, there really is a site for almost every area of interest.

I had a Sunbeam Tiger Mark 2 (and had Yoke 008R's on it) for many years and I foolishly sold it about ten years ago. It's a long story...

Then not long ago, while perusing Craigslist for items of interest, I came across two cars offered by two different sellers, and amazingly both lived nearby in Maryland! And both cars had been daily drivers but were now sitting ignored.

One was a mid-eighties Jaguar XJ6 with a small block Chevy conversion. A very nice car (pearl white paint, gray leather, sunroof, etc.)

The other was a '72 Midget with a 289 HiPo Ford. Since the owners were both 'motivated to sell', I bought 'em both. I'd be a bit embarrassed if I confessed how little I paid for them...

It's been hot as H,E, double hockey sticks but it's supposed to break and be in the eighties starting tomorrow. I plan to try to fire up one or both of them to see what I have.

No pics yet of the Jag (and I suspect that there isn't much interest in that one here) and not much history is known about this one. The previous owner bought it running for his then-wife to drive. She's now gone and the car has been sitting for about three years. It's got (pitted) chrome headers and alternator on the 305. Should be a fun car.

But the MG, now this looks like fun! The previous owner bought it on fleabay perhaps eight years ago (he would not say for how much). He drove it occasionally but then got married, had a child, and the car sat in the garage for three years until the wife decided that she wanted the garage space.

It has a 289 HiPo, a C4 auto, a narrowed nine inch rear, tubbed wheel wells, and a stupid hood scoop to clear the Ford radiator (that's gonna change)! It had some seats that did not fit the car (and weren't even bolted down)) and I have acquired a set of imitation Recaros for it, but they are not included in the pics below.

Here are a couple of pics...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/highmileage/My%20stuff/100_1211-1.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/highmileage/My%20stuff/100_1212-1.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/highmileage/My%20stuff/100_1213.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/highmileage/My%20stuff/100_1216.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/highmileage/My%20stuff/100_1218-1.jpg

The previous owner purchased the car from a seller in South Florida. Anyone who recognizes the car and may be able to tell me something of its history (such as who built it) is welcome to contact me directly! I think that the car may have been built to race at Moroso Speedway...

Does anyone recognize this car? Inquiring minds want to know...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 12:22PM by highmileage.

giles
Giles Abbott
Western Australia
(4 posts)

08/13/2010 05:40AM

Main British Car:
1988 RR Classic Rover 4.2

Posted by: giles
Date: August 13, 2010 05:52AM

Hi Members,
My name is Giles, I come from the Land Down under and I have a British V8 in the form of a Range Rover Classic. It was a 3.5 but is now a 4.2. It runs on dual fuel, or it should, but the air flow meter is stuffed. I have the need for a new one but there few and far between in Oz.
I will ask the question numerous times across the forum to get as much response as possible, so pardon my repetiveness if you come across the same question, but here goes anyway. Is there more than one option of air flow meter that will suit? Can you use a just the flap type or can you use a hot wire type? Any input on this matter would be appreciated.

mbhnm
Mark Howard
Maryville, Tennessee
(7 posts)

08/15/2010 07:02PM

Main British Car:
1972 Spitfire, 1969 GT6

Posted by: mbhnm
Date: August 15, 2010 07:57PM

Greetings from Tennessee!

I have been fascinated with mechanical things all my life. When I was small and we were traveling, my mother used to take extension cords and electrical sockets that I could play with. She said I would spend hours hooking things up in different ways.

When I turned fifteen, my parents bought me my first car: a Fiat 600. I spent a year working on it. Mother came in one day, smelled something strange, and traced the smell to the oven. One of her favorite stories is about opening the oven to find a freshly painted Fiat engine block. I have never heard the end of that one!

My next ride was a 1964 Alfa Romeo Spider. Wish I still had that one. Unfortunately if blew a head gasket and in the early 70's Alfa parts were pretty hard to come by. That led to the 1970 Trans Am, and on, and on....

My current projects are a 1969 Triumph GT6 Mk II which will eventually be restored to as near original condition as I can afford, and a 1972 Triumph Spitfire hotrod project with a Rover 4.6 V8. I have begun working on the Spitfire project again after several years of inactivity, so I will probably be wearing you guys out with questions.

Here is where the project stands currently. The Spit chassis has been widened 5.5 inches. The front suspension is 1975 Mustang II with Toyota van spindles custom fitted. The rear is a Toyota Supra f series limited slip. With this setup I can use a Supra master cylinder and the brakes will balance. I plan to use square tubing to box the frame to eliminate flex. The body will be a roadster with the doors welded shut and a fiberglass hood. Suspension is air.

The engine is a 1998 4.6 which is just now ready to go to the machine shop. If it passes muster then I move on to deciding the build parts. My goal is top speed so I am thinking high horsepower and high rpm. I have a friend at HVH (High Velocity Heads - NASCAR, NHRA) who is helping me on the project. He regularly builds small block Chevies to over 500 HP on pump gas and has a private dyno. He wants me to use an aluminum LS engine but I already have the Rover and it is paid for. I could be convinced the other way. Opinions are welcome.

The Rover engine will be coupled to a 1984 Camaro T5 with .64 overdrive. It has been modified with an S10 tail shaft (so the shifter is not at my elbow) and a Mustang short throw T5 shifter. Running 15” tires at about 6500 rpm with enough horsepower should theorectically produce 200+ mph. How fast, of course, is ultimately determined by how much (you spend), so the actually results have yet to be determined.

OK, I know the first question is going to be, “Why are you widening the Spit 5 ½ inches?” Well, my son-in-law is a body man and we were pondering the body mods to make all the parts work and out of the blue he said, “It would be easier to cut the whole thing in two and put it back together,” so that is what we are doing. 5 ½” is what made everything work, at least on the drawing board.

That’s probably enough for an opening post. The email I got said introduce yourself so here it is. Look forward to talking with you.

Oh, one more note. I work out of town so it often takes me a while to return emails. If you don’t hear back from me quickly be patient, I will answer as soon as I can.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 22, 2010 02:52PM

Looking forward to seeing some photos!

JB

ozzie
terry osborne
Sapulpa Oklahoma
(1 posts)

08/23/2010 02:42PM

Main British Car:
1969 Spitfire Mk III Ford 302

Posted by: ozzie
Date: August 23, 2010 03:16PM

Hi all!
not really new to the forum as Ive been checkin out the craftsmanship on projects for several years, awesome talent! Finally to the point where I can start makin some real progress on car ( 69 Spit w/ 302) and hope to journal in the appropriate forum.

kulu_kulu
Kurt Luthy

(1 posts)

08/30/2010 09:54PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: kulu_kulu
Date: September 01, 2010 12:46AM

hello everybody
I'm Kurt. I'm a Triumph TR admirer for a long time. It started with TR4, then a friend of mine bought a TR5PI and that was it. So by now I have collectet a 68 TR250, a 70 GT6+ and a TR3B. I said collected because non is restored yet. The TR250 is getting close and I have a Rover 4.4l waiting to maybe transplanted in there. But the same I'm trying to figure out with my GT6+. For the TR3B I have a little bit more respect, but in the meantime I'm also thinking of upgrading to a TR4AIRS chassis. But it probably will keep its 4 Cyl but with a compressor kit. And from what I learned is, that the chassis is pretty much identical beside the longer outrigger.
And then a few years ago I also bought a 71 Jag XKE which over time should get a 6.0l motor. So we will see.

By the way Dan I like your Austin Healey 100 Coupe, It just looks dead gorgeous and sharp, congratulations!

triumphtr2
tim body
St thomas ont Canada
(87 posts)

08/18/2010 10:21PM

Main British Car:
1954 TR2 serial # TS 110 L triumph 2 litre

Posted by: triumphtr2
Date: September 16, 2010 11:29PM

Hello Curtis and the rest of the gang.Have been reading this website for a month now and I am always amazed at how much everyone knows.Some of the work that is done is just beautiful;real works of art.I live in St Thomas Ontario Canada and have owned a 54 TR2 for about 35 years. Serial # TS110L. It was a wreck when I got it and back then parts were not too available as you know. Consequently the car is not pure TR2 but it has always been a good driver and lots of fun. Right now Im working on a 66 TR4A solid axle car.Lots of mechanical work as the car was never looked after and everything is shot.Will keep you posted on that.Also have 60 TR3A that Im planning to modify with a 5speed/engine swap .This is why the website is so fasinating to read. All kinds of stuff to ponder.This leads me to a question I have to ask,which is this. Im not experienced in swapping but I keep thinking if you want a V6 60 degree engine/5speed, whats wrong with a Ford 3.0 litre 5speed out of a Ranger pickup? Also why are there almost no TR3 swaps being done at all? Is the engine bay too narrow or what.Anywayif anyone knows what the scoop is I would like to know.Im new on computers but am learning so I will answer responses as best I can.See you later.

deltron63
tony barnett
suffolk, uk
(8 posts)

06/23/2009 04:55PM

Main British Car:
76 factory mgb gt v8 3528cc

Posted by: deltron63
Date: September 17, 2010 03:36PM

Hi All, my name is Tony.After 20 years in the garage it's time to finnish my factory MGB GT V8
P1010674 (Medium).JPG
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.