(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Carb to hood clearance
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 04, 2010 04:14PM

Thanks for the input... I think i'm going to go with a simple drop base air cleaner. Since I don't have it yet and about to install the choke cable for my carb, am I likely to run into clearance problems with the mechanical choke? Would an electric choke carb be a better choice? I can switch carbs; if I should I'd like to do that before I drill holes for the choke cable.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: May 04, 2010 07:02PM

A typical drop base cleaner has a 1.2" drop from the mounting flange to the underside of the base. Either manual or electric choke will clear as the base has clearance depressions stamped into it.
I've had limited success with electric choke consistency and prefer the manual - if set up correctly, you'll get consistent starts and have control over choking operation during warmup.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 04, 2010 08:38PM

re: I've had limited success with electric choke consistency

that's exectly why I got the manual choke one. I only drove a couple of electric choke cars & neither ever seemed to actually work right. my manual choke was always worked.

302GT
Larry Shimp

(241 posts)

11/17/2007 01:13PM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GT Ford 302 crate engine

authors avatar
Posted by: 302GT
Date: May 25, 2010 01:44PM

I found that the choke plate can hit the inside top of an air cleaner with a drop base. This may be why some electric chokes seem inconsistent. I removed the choke plate, but kept the electric fast idle function. This accomplishes about 90% of what the choike accomplishes. It also allows the choke horn to be removed to get beter aiir flow under the low air cleaner top.

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: July 02, 2010 05:33PM

We will have an R-V8 bolt on hood at the British V8 show in Indy, you can measure to see if it clears.
Dave Craddock

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: July 02, 2010 09:17PM

Hey Rob, That performer Rpm Airgap is a great manifold. You can easily mill the carb mount flange down another half inch.
You may even want to angle mill it to tip the front of the air cleaner down some. The Edelbrock/Carter AFB carb is shorter than the Holley and the good old thermoquad is shorter still. Use a 14" x 3" air filter housing with a good 14" x 2" element and gain another inch of room. The early points distributors are the shortest. You can buy another 1/2 inch on the electronic ones by cutting the wire towers down to the metal inserts, or convert them to the point style cap and rotor with some minor lathe work. Lastly remote air filters work great and some really nice low profile carb hats are available from the turbo guys.
Cheers
Fred

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 03, 2010 12:45PM

I ended up using the air gap manifold, a 14" 1.5" drop base on the bottom & a finned top (added about 1/4" of height but looks good), 2" filter, edelbrock carb & a 1/2" spacer btwn carb & drop base. That combination clears my stock hood by 3/8" at the front. Could of course use a 1" drop base & eliminate the spacer, but I'd already bought the 1.5" drop & spacer was less expensive than return shipping & restocking fee.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.