(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: mowog1
Date: November 06, 2012 12:01PM

FYI....Tom Caine and Steve deGroat are planning on picking up the Roadmaster November 15/16.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: November 07, 2012 08:54AM

Thanks to Steve we're moving ahead with the repairs on the car and he will see that it gets some attention at some shows etc over the winter months. We need to start looking ahead to next spring and getting a schedule together for the car, still plenty of folks who donated to the project that haven't had a turn with it.
The bank account is basically empty, not enough left to offset the monthly checking fee, but I am going to donate another hundred bucks to keep us afloat for a while. We need some donations for future expenses like the next tag fees etc. I know that it's a bad time of year to ask for donations with the holidays comming up, but even a few bucks will help if everyone can chip in.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Date: November 15, 2012 02:14AM

Tom and Steve should be here in Illinois late this afternoon (11/15).

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Posted by: lawnvett
Date: November 15, 2012 11:35AM

Hope Tom and Steve don't cause you as much grief as my near arrival a few months ago:
1) panic phone calls and emails and text messages
2) rent a trailer
3) get a speeding ticket
4) spend most of a day rescuing Roadmaster and jockey
5) trip to Hooters just to use wifi
6) next early am take PJ to airport
Seriously, hope all goes well with the suspension and ignition.
Roadmaster, Rick at Hooters.jpg

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Date: November 15, 2012 05:50PM

Steve and Tom got here about 2pm CST.

Roadmaster has been diagnosed and repairs made to electrical system.

Coil was bad.....replaced with spare coil I had here in the barn...car now runs. I gave them a spare coil as well.

MSD and spark advance have been reconnected and work fine.

Air suspension obviously still has faults....the crew is looking at replacing the current bags with smaller bags when they get to Jim's tomorrow.

We'll take the car out tomorrow morning for a fuel run and shakedown run...then the boys will be Cincinatti (OK...Kentucky) bound (timing their departure to miss any Indy rush-hour traffic).

All is well....fingers crossed.

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 16, 2012 08:28AM

Where are the pictures?

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Date: November 16, 2012 01:21PM

Didn't take any pics (sorry).

The Roadmaster should now be in Indy on its way to Kentucky for an overnight at Jim's shoppe before continuing east.

They were going to replace the air bags currently installed with smaller diameter bags to see if this will cure the failure rate experienced. If not, GT coil springs will be re-installed.

The barn seems a little empty without the Roadmaster in one of the bays....

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 16, 2012 10:16PM

Steve can give more details later, but we punted on the airbags and installed a set of performance springs (.550" wire, and shorter springs) along with 1" spring spacers. The ride height is just about right we think. It will not ride as nice but no worries. Test drive in the morning.

Steve has been experimenting with the pcv and it looks like progress in an inverted sideways sort of way. By painting the underside with oil we have determined that oil has indeed been getting sucked down the carb and it is fixable. By the time they get home results will be in.

Other than that it seems to be business as usual, half the gages are working right and the gas mileage is pretty decent plus the general public loves it. So all in all not bad. I told Steve he is not leaving tomorrow before I get to drive the car.

Jim

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Date: November 16, 2012 11:40PM

I believe I found the barrel to the driver's door lock in the driveway of the house.

Please check.

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 17, 2012 07:23AM

Good news. And who needs gauges anyway. Just stop every 90 minutes and add two qts oil and 8-10 gals of gas and you are on your way again. I pushed it to two hours once driving at 70+ mph and ran out of gas. I'm sure I'm the only one here who has ever done that foolish thing.
Looks like you've got great weather for driving today. Best wishes for a safe and pleasant ride to SC. Maybe I can come down to help with something this winter.
455 cu MGB:GT.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 17, 2012 12:10PM

Yep, the lock is missing. Can you send it to Steve please?
Hopefully the oil consumption will be down to more normal levels.
For the trip here the boys yanked out the pcv valve and let it lay on the intake and plugged a new one in the hole to plug it. Oil usage was down but instead of burning it through the carb they washed the bottom of the car with it where it came out the new pcv valve and ran down the back of the engine. Not hard to imagine what manifold vacuum was doing to that system. We plugged a breather in the pcv grommet in the manifold and routed the pcv valve to the breather on the valve cover. As you will recall, it had a hose nipple already. If that doesn't stop it I suppose we can run a hose from the manifold to the air cleaner or plug it and use a breather in place of the oil filler on the other valve cover, or even hose that to the air cleaner. Whatever we end up with, this one should be fixed. Steve will let us know.

We took a drive down Hathaway Rd. and it looks like the new springs are going to do just fine. Ride height is just right as far as we could tell and the spring rate seemed good too. Good ride for touring, at some point someone may want to put slightly heavier oil in the shocks but I only felt it hit the bump stops once on the test run so in normal driving it will be fine.

The coil problem was from vibration. A hole was worn in the bottom corner of the can, it could have happened to any coil. Just too bad it had to fail just when and where it did.

The guys are headed for the barn. They left around ten and should have no issues on the way.

Now what we do have as potential future items needing our attention:

The tranny(T-5) does not like to downshift into 3rd. It will if you properly double clutch. You T-5 guys need to noodle on that some.
The axle is a little noisy. Someone needs to find us a good Jag IRS center housing. Not real picky about the ratio.
The gages need upgraded. I don't think any one of us would have fought this problem for so long on our own car.
Gas spills out in the twisties. That nice fancy gas cap just doesn't seem to seal very well. Plus it is very hard to open and close.

That's about it for now I think. It really is a very nice car and I am glad it is headed to where it can be driven and shown off during the winter. I really sort of wish I had been able to go get it myself.

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: November 17, 2012 07:18PM

Tom and I got home about 5:30.
No problems and burned NO oil.
We got about 16 to 17 mpg and ran between 70 and 80 most of the time. Our average speed on the last tank was 74.5 mph.
Steering shakes above 70 but settles down some at 84.
I will try to adjust headlight as they are very low.
A relay has hung up (?) and the cooling fan stays on.
It was great seeing Rick and Jean and they do a wonderful job of hosting.
Good to see Jim, Edith and Mathew and the hospitality there was out standing also.
The springs work fine and I think it has flattened out the cornering some.
Tom followed me through the gorge and said it doesn't lean very mush.
I will be taking it to cruise in in the area and trying to fix some problems.
Gas stops can take a while as people really like the car.

Steve

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 17, 2012 08:57PM

Sounds like good progress. The fan was not sticking on when I had it so that is new. Not sure how the adjustible thermostat works, maybe check to see if the shut off temp got bumped up maybe.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 18, 2012 12:10AM

Mike and I had that relay problem on the power tour. I think we put in a new relay. They may make one with a higher amperage.

That is really GREAT news about the oil consumption! Who would have thought after all this time and trouble it would be that simple to fix? A big thank-you from all of us to everyone who helped sort that particularly troubling problem out!

Jim

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 18, 2012 01:24AM

Steve,
I am Glad you made it home safe early and b efore it got too dark. I think more than 2nd gear would over run the headlights. Do let me know if you want some help with Roadmaster. I'm not too far away in Winston-Salem and I could take it to Max if he wanted to show it off. There are several groups near us here that might like to see the car: NASCAR shops, Forsyth Community College , 6 or 7 British Clubs will meet once a month. in NC over the winter. I'd be glad to drive down your way to help

PJ Lenihan
pjlenihan@me.com
mobile 336.462.1147

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Date: November 18, 2012 06:30PM

BTW...I donated two coils...the replacement coil and a spare coil to keep in the boot. Hopefully, we will never need the spare again.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: November 19, 2012 10:42AM

Such good news, thanks guys for all your help. That includes Rick for storing the car and rescuing PJ this summer and Jim for the use of his shop as well. It's always been a team effort and still is. PJ stepped up with a nice donation to the treasury so along with mine we aren't broke, but still could always use some money in reserve for licensing etc.

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: November 19, 2012 11:52AM

The cooling fan is supposed to run after the engine is shut off if the temperature is high. Try disconnecting the black/green wire at the temperature switch and see if that doesn't shut the fan off. Then touch the B/G wire to ground and the fans should come on; remove it and they should go back off. If so, the relays are good.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: November 19, 2012 06:12PM

More on the coil.
I t appears to be rubbing on the engine mount. I will move it up slighlty.
If you turn the ign switch to the run position without starting the car there is no 12 volts at the pos coil.( PJ didn't stand a chance of fixing it)
The pos appears when you crank the engine. I guess on the the MSD boxes is doing that.
I will try to adjust the headlights and move the coil a little tomorrow.

Steve

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 19, 2012 06:58PM

"(PJ didn't stand a chance of fixing it)"

You are absolutely right!! At least I had enough sense to call Max when I was stumped. Then Rick came to the rescue What a guy.

BTW the fuel pump wiring needs attention, it is a side of the road quick fix using crimp on connections.

How much oil did you add? I added 5 or six quarts in a little over 900 miles back in Aug.
Roadmaster Little Rock, AR.jpg
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.