(223 posts)

11/25/2009 07:18AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Rover 4.6L

Re: leaf springs vs 4 link
Posted by: mstemp
Date: February 14, 2011 12:40AM

Paul,

If you like what Bill G has to offer with the 4 link why not just order from him? I know that you may want to copy what you see but feel that may hurt our vendors in the long run. Bill has put a lot of time and expense into his design and by the time you get Coilover and springs etc there maybe not much of a savings. Dont get my wrong, I think I know where you are coming. Just for those that dont have the ability to make a 4 bar ouselves we need people like Bill Guzman to keep coming up with new things and marketing them.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: February 14, 2011 11:29AM

Mike, I agree. Just for grins I’ve added up all the parts necessary to do it, what it costs to use the shop equipment, what I think my time would be worth, and even with the discounts we get from suppliers, you quickly find getting a kit from Bill is the better way to go and there’s no trial and error; it fits first time. I will continue to fabricate my own stuff from time to time, but front and rear suspension kits aren’t on the list. Bill has a good product and when I get to that step in my conversion, his is the one I plan to use.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1367 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: February 14, 2011 03:43PM

Just a quick note,

Davids car is an MGA.
The rear frame setup is quite different compared to the MGB.
While this discussion is pretty neat we haven't really helped David yet.
Wadya say?

Cheers
Fred

socorob
Robbie
La
(173 posts)

09/17/2009 04:42PM

Main British Car:
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series 2 Ford 2.8 V6

Posted by: socorob
Date: February 15, 2011 11:08PM

The bolt on would be the easiest, but if you want to build it yourself, this place has some pretty nice bracketry.

[www.sniperfab.com]

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 15, 2011 11:44PM

I love posting here when, with my limited knowledge, I think I can help, but most everybody on this site knows far more than I. I haven’t worked on an MGA since I was twenty and trust me that’s been a long time. David, if there is one thing I’ve learned in my forty two years of building hot rods and muscle cars, it’s that there’s more than one way to do most things; throw out all that are dangerous for one reason or another and settle on the one you think will satisfy you in the long run. I still have leaf springs and though I will surely change in the future for reasons that are personality driven, I find that configuration to work just fine for the amount of power I put out. First decide what you want the car to do, and how much you’re willing to spend to make it do it, but throughout the build be honest with yourself. When I was building my current T-Bucket I started off with plans of an 1800 pound 500 horse power blown adrenaline pump, but quickly found most of those cars setting in the garage when everybody else was out impressing the girls who know nothing about blowers; Ok, I still like the blower idea and maybe we weren’t all that impressive anyway. Built it to enjoy!

"P"

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: February 16, 2011 02:12PM

Good question. springs or 4 link.
Just for a cruiser, down the hwy with the top down, speed limit etc etc.
The more modern set up for the B is well worth it due to the ride quality, which is what you want driving a cruiser.

So..what you are asking is which system is better for the street cruiser (as you called mention) Then the 4 link is the ticket.
The 4 link offers more than just a good ride quality, it offers adjustments of ride hight, ride comfort (easy spring change) pinion angle adjustment, it locates the axle, plus other.

If fabricating your own keep in mind the geometry to avoid axle bind. It is not just brackets and links.
It will fit a 9", 8", 7.5 GM or Ford and the stock MG rear axle.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 16, 2011 11:54PM

Thanks Bill, I sometimes get ahead of myself and don’t think things through. What you say about the geometry being right is true and the adjustability of your 4-link is great. We called our first T-Bucket “The Mule” because we did and re-did almost everything on it a number of times and as a result the cost and time spent on later cars was more manageable, but doing it the first time was a pain and expensive. If I tried to do a four link myself from scratch it would be the same thing all over again. We are building 2 trikes from scratch now and what should have taken 6 weeks has run into 6 months and they still aren’t ready to roll on their own. As for me, the leaf springs on my car are adequate for now but I have no illusions that it’s better than a 4-ling because it isn’t. Doing one myself is still a sexy idea but you have a great kit and sometime in the future I’ll be a customer.

"P"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 11:56PM by pspeaks.

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 17, 2011 12:28PM

Paul, I know what you mean. I have been working on the front end suspension for 2 1/2 years, I finally got where I think it will give the best. Once completed then is testing and perhaps some minor changes.

I lost count of how many cross members I build. Build one from plates to get the dimensions to build a jig and one form the jig.
I know, this is the hard way to go about it, but it is also a good way to get everything to work properly when manufacture.

It is easier to build a one off than building one for production.
front suspension 012.jpg

flitner
John Fenner
Miami Fl
(168 posts)

03/11/2010 10:58AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB 350 CHEVY

Posted by: flitner
Date: February 17, 2011 12:35PM

Paul,
What kind of trikes are you building???

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 17, 2011 01:09PM

No doubt about that Bill, and you do good work. What's bad is a major upgrade in the middle of development. That'll easily add a year or more to the release date of a big project like a front end or my IRS. But, considering there have been no advance orders, what does it really matter?

JB

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 17, 2011 06:09PM

Yes, you know what I mean, and I have not tested the unit. Static measurements check out ok thus far.

I am anxious to see your new IRS Jim.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 17, 2011 06:20PM

I agree with Jim, you do excellent work Bill. As you well know, during mockup you have to continually keep in mind, engineering and the end unit production cost and what a customer can pay for the product. Our original idea was to produce turnkey cars, but the liability insurance was a killer, so we went into the Kit car world. We sold parts for about three years but the economy tanked and the toy market dried up. A couple of government contracts came along and that was the end of our little adventure. The owner’s son is building a Porches Speedster Kit but it’s just for him and we, as a company, are keeping hands off. John, the owner came across what is called a Swedish Trike on the internet, contacted the builder and purchased plans. It uses a VW motor turned around backwards in the normal location and uses two transmission cases connected together; needless to say the transmissions are rather modified to keep from having one forward gear and four reverses. It’s a little weird but works. I’ll see if he will let me post a picture.

I'm not a computer guy, but try this site. [hem.passagen.se]

"P"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2011 06:26PM by pspeaks.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1367 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: February 17, 2011 08:19PM

Paul,

Those trikes are pretty cool!
Less haywire trans choices might be the Porsche 924/944 setup with a shortened drive shaft.
Or my favorite, the Alfa trans axle. Comes with 5 speeds an integral clutch and disc brakes. Just hook a driveshaft to the front of it and away you go.

Cheers
Fred

flitner
John Fenner
Miami Fl
(168 posts)

03/11/2010 10:58AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB 350 CHEVY

Posted by: flitner
Date: February 17, 2011 08:49PM

That is an interesting setup versus conventional. As Fred said the Porsche 914? 944, box would be ideal also look into the amatuer Grand prix style (F1) cars that use the Pinto style setup and the engine is transversed,,,,OOH how about Subaru trans.
I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll post a pic of mine.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but "Trikes" Hit a nerve just as does MG and Beer!! Till Then,
John

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

12/30/2009 08:59PM

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Posted by: jim
Date: February 17, 2011 09:14PM

Picture 189.jpg
Picture 191.jpg
Picture 193.jpg

here is a pretty easey 4 link on a 59 sprite

jim

undertowrocks
David Haywood
Madoc, Ontario
(24 posts)

10/05/2010 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1962 MGA Coupe Buick 4.1 V-6

Posted by: undertowrocks
Date: February 17, 2011 09:20PM

Thanks for all the posts and ideas concerning my question about leafs vs 4 link. I think I will go with the leafs with the idea of using pieces off the old leafs to help eliminate bind up. I have also purchased a set of traction bars I will use to aid in the as well. Just finished the body work on my MA, so I will be starting on the suspension next. I'll keep the forum posted. I tried to attach a photo but it said the file was too large. Any ideas, its just a simple digital camera photo.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2465 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: February 17, 2011 09:53PM

Has to be Jpeg and limited to size.

undertowrocks
David Haywood
Madoc, Ontario
(24 posts)

10/05/2010 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1962 MGA Coupe Buick 4.1 V-6

Posted by: undertowrocks
Date: February 17, 2011 11:11PM

100_0020 (800x600).jpg

Ths is my MGA just before xmas. Done the bodywork now, just have to spray the 2 stage primer.

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Posted by: crashbash
Date: February 18, 2011 02:48PM

Jim Begor, what are the coilovers from? Has this set up been thrashed hard? Doesn't look like it's tied down in enough places, what do I know though Currently with narrowed limited slip gm with disk brakes in conventional mgb rear suspension hasn't been on the road yet. I was going to add panhard, more leafs, sway bar. This may not be the way to go it seems.

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

12/30/2009 08:59PM

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Posted by: jim
Date: February 18, 2011 07:50PM

117.jpg
122.jpg
123.jpg
the coil overs are QA1's I started with the 59 sprite rear it did not hold the 3400 with a five speed rod ends and swedge tubes
the tubes were not heavy enough went to dom tube with weld ends there is a 1/4" plate at the bulk heads
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.