Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

atgordon
Tony Gordon

(2 posts)

06/06/2008 06:48PM

Main British Car:

Randy Schultz's TR3
Posted by: atgordon
Date: June 06, 2008 07:11PM

I was very impressed by the work that Randy had done on marrying a TR6 chassis to a TR3 body, and adapting all the running gear to update everything (http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Triumph-TR3-Plus-4.htm). If Randy is monitoring the list, I would really like to know more about his very interesting front disk conversion ... I have been considering the somewhat less effective Toyota Pickup Truck (non-diesel) conversion, but wanted to use a vented disk ... he seems to have found a way of doing both! I'd love to know more about fitting the Cressida disk to the TR6 front hub ...

The rear brake conversion was also interesting, and I guessing required the fabrication of a new caliper mouting bracket!

Good work Randy!

Tony Gordon
72 TR6 (on its way to Eaton M62 supercharging and Megasquirt EFI)

dwtr6v8
Don Watson
West Virginia
(305 posts)

12/07/2007 07:45AM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 5.0 HO

authors avatar
Re: Randy Schultz's TR3
Posted by: dwtr6v8
Date: June 06, 2008 11:06PM

Tony

You will be amazed at the diversity of ideas and fantastic work people are doing out there with our beloved Triumphs, MGs, Healey, and other makes.

Like blowers, superchargers, EFI, even V12 and BMW's stuffed under the TR bodies.

If you ant the CAD files for the rear disc brake conversion, I can send them to you.

This group loves to share info and lessons learned.

Good luck with you modifications and post pics and do go to the webite and complete a "How It Was Done" so all can see.

TR3 plus Four
Randall Schultz

(17 posts)

04/15/2008 01:32AM

Main British Car:
Sort of a 1958 TRiumph TR3 1991 Nissan 240SX Engine

authors avatar
Posted by: TR3 plus Four
Date: June 08, 2008 01:55AM

Hi Tony

The Toyota front brake conversion was very straight forward. The Toyota 4-runner calipers were a direct bolt on- I mean direct- the caliper holes lined up exactly with the holes in the TR6 vertical link. The Cresida vented rotor was used with no modifications. The wheel stud spacing matches TR6. The TR6 hub needed very minor machining on the shoulder to seat the rotor. The rear Nissan disc brake swap did need a custom caliper flange, which I needed to make anyway to work with the Corvair hubs assemblies. The Nissan also uses the same wheel spacing as TR6, so that's easy. The e-brake system on the Nissan works well for the conversion too because the cable pull actually mechanically pushes the hydraulic piston to set against the disc. I've got some info about using old 240Z stuff back there as well- I'll dig it out for you as well. I've also got the exact year and model of 4-runner and Cresida parts to use, as well as jobber part numbers for same. stay tuned... Now where did I put that book with ALL that swap info.....

Glad you like the project. I'm sure having fun with it.

Randy

atgordon
Tony Gordon

(2 posts)

06/06/2008 06:48PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: atgordon
Date: June 08, 2008 08:00PM

Thanks Randy,

The information would be most valuable! I did some searching and did find the 86-88 Cressida rotors that seem to have the right bolt pattern for the TR6, but would prefer to use the correct parts!

Tony

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: June 09, 2008 08:55AM

Here is a link to an article on the VTR site about brake conversions:

[www.vtr.org]

TR3 plus Four
Randall Schultz

(17 posts)

04/15/2008 01:32AM

Main British Car:
Sort of a 1958 TRiumph TR3 1991 Nissan 240SX Engine

authors avatar
Posted by: TR3 plus Four
Date: June 15, 2008 02:14PM

Hey Tony

Finally had a chance to confirm the application and year for those front brake conversion parts.

The calipers I used were from 1988- April 1989 Toyota 4-runner- 4-wheel drive- 4-cylinder.

The vented rotors I used were from 1986- 1988 Toyota Cresida- sedan only.

Should be easy to find this stuff at any jobber house. I can't remember exactly how much material I machined off the front hub to index with the rotor, but it wasn't much. I remember at the time having to take a few passes off the face of the hub as well, as it was not true at all. Easy to do once the wheel studs have been pressed out. As I'm running Nissan alloy wheels I had to drill out the diameter of the wheel stud holes to suit, but you may not be needing to do this.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Randy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.