Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Tanker
Marc Septav

(2 posts)

04/30/2016 08:30PM

Main British Car:

Cadillac 4.9 V8 in a Spitfire
Posted by: Tanker
Date: May 01, 2016 01:54PM

Looking for a bit of information.
My project has sat idle for a bit but now I have the time to get back to it. Originally started to install a Rover 4.0 but I have a Cadillac 4.9 V8 sitting in the shop that has been converted to carb intake (gets rid of the electronics associated with the swap). My reason for going the 4.9 route is the fact that the engine is a little heavier than the 4.0 but is shorter back to front than the Rover. The engine makes sufficient power for a Spit (about 200hp stock) and has good mid range performance. I have a Toyota W58 transmission and Jeep bellhousing that bolts up but the input shaft looks to be about an inch short.
Any information with experience converting the 4.9 to RWD or installation into the Spitfire would be appreciated.
Thanks

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Re: Cadillac 4.9 V8 in a Spitfire
Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: May 01, 2016 02:20PM

The Rover conversion has been done before, the Caddy is probably breaking new trail.

4.9 and only 200 HP?

I am doing a Buick V6/T5 into a GT6.
The V6 is the same as the Rover but a little shorter from front to back since it's the same design with two cylinders removed.
Still not an easy swap since I insisted on moving it back as far as possible to improve the weight bias.
The external oil pump makes the install more difficult with the engine moved back.

Pics of the caddy engine might be helpful, does it have any odd accessories or protuberances?
Heavier means you want to go as far back as possible so you are not too nose heavy.

Spitfire has some odd steering issues you may want to address.

Post some pics of your components if you can.
Have you done any trial fitting?

Tanker
Marc Septav

(2 posts)

04/30/2016 08:30PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Tanker
Date: May 01, 2016 03:17PM

The Cadillac weighs about 350 lbs and has an aluminum block with iron heads - lots of power and torque at low rpm. The engine was commonly used in Fiero's a few years back. I had placed the Rover into the frame and it looks like I will have less firewall interference with the Caddy 4.9. Will try to post a few pictures in the next couple of days.
There is a topic on this site ( MG I think) that has lots of info on the 4.9 but was using an automatic transmission

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 01, 2016 03:54PM

Aluminum head swap possible?

Is this the narrow 54º Vee angle DOHC engine as used in the Catera, or based on it?

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: May 01, 2016 09:11PM

Richard, This is my old article he is referring to.
[forum.britishv8.org]

Tanker, Toyota transmission thread:
[forum.britishv8.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 09:18PM by mgb260.

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 02, 2016 02:56AM

Looking at that thread it seems there are no odd lumps hanging off the front like the BOPR oil pump.
Serpentine belt may be a bit of a PITA since it appears to drive some low mounted items?
Iron heads on an aluminum block, weird!
If I read the thread correctly there are no aluminum heads that fit, too bad.

A while back I was curious about the quad-cam Catera V6.
Unusually narrow and actually looks the part of a performance engine.
Too bad it also has the Cadillac curse, decent torque but not much HP or RPM and overly complex electronics including VVT.
Also difficult or impossible to mount a manual trans to the early Audi based version, gave up research but there do seem to be manual trans for the later (Not DOHC?) versions.
None seem to have particularly good reputations for durability.

I'm often asked "Why are you still messing around with such OLD engines?" (SBC, 225/3.8 Buick, Alfa Romeo 2.0, JAG XK, etc.)
These "new" engines brief life explains it nicely, by the time the bugs are worked out they have been replaced with another entirely new design and a fresh set of bugs.
Short production life and very little if any aftermarket support for almost anything that is not an LS!

On the other hand new goodies are still coming available for the BOPR V8, Buick V6, SBC and SBF.
Heck, you can still get new flat-head Ford performance parts!

I no long take any note of "New" wonder-engines, their firefly like production lifespan is not worth the effort.

I expect that in ten or twenty years parts for the "Old" engines above will still be fairly available, but the "Modern" engines will have zero support.
Not meant as a rant, more an observation.

Greg55_99
Greg Williams

(102 posts)

11/01/2007 07:12PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Greg55_99
Date: May 04, 2016 01:48PM

Maybe (and I emphasize that) you could modify a 2.8/3.1/3.4L V6 Camaro/Firebird flywheel to work with the 4.9. It is MUCH thicker (and heavier) but pushes the clutch back slightly over an inch. It may mesh with your short nosed W58 that way.

[60degreev6.com]

#3 - Camaro flywheel and clutch are on the right. See how much taller it is than the other FWD flywheel and clutch.

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.