Johan3500
Johan Van Wyk

(9 posts)

03/06/2009 06:17AM

Main British Car:

To balance or not???
Posted by: Johan3500
Date: April 01, 2011 06:30AM

Thank you for the answers to my plenum tube question. I followed it up with more, but nobody seemed to notice, so here goes again.

Exhaust space is pretty tight on my small Triumph Dolomite, and the system is probably pretty restrictive, especially in manifolds area. Just a biggish tube with 4 very short runners T-ing into it. I fitted a balancer pipe (2") hoping it might open up another route to reduce restriction since the exh is 2" and smaller in joints, it is like reduced inner fits were used and not stretched outers...I hope this makes sense... :-) The car seems to have lost its edge and is not as lively as before... Any comments??

Thank you,
Johan

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: To balance or not???
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 01, 2011 12:41PM

Johan, I wish I knew what the effect of the balance tube would be, Sorry I can't help with that, but I wanted you to know that we were watching your posts, just didn't have any suggestions at this point. Your exhaust system sounds very similar to the one we had installed on the Roadmaster because of engine compartment space restrictions. Not much else you can do considering the space available. If the balance tube did indeed open up the flow for the exhaust perhaps the loss of "edge" as you say might be because now it's running a bit lean as it's able to flow more air. Check your plugs and see if they are showing any signs of a lean condition before you remove the balance tube.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: To balance or not???
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: April 02, 2011 11:44AM

Your cross tube should be located at the hot spot if possible. It should help in the midrange.

Jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.