England
(112 posts)

07/30/2011 01:08PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Re: Ford modular engines
Posted by: waterbucket
Date: July 08, 2013 04:42PM

I have at last lowered the modular engine into an old B bodyshell and to a degree it fits very easily.I have not cut any panels and it is resting on blocks. I have tried loading photos but have been unable to do so, I think that they are too big a file to load perhaps some one can guide me?
Any way back to the engine, it is a tight fit width ways and will need a log type exhaust which would have to run literally on top of the chassis rails. I do not think that the steering shaft will be a problem but the rack will need to be lowered to clear the sump. Has any one done this and how severe will bump steer be? The crankcase is another tight fit width ways but I do not think engine mounts or the starter motor (I dont have one) will be a problem
So what are the problems not length as I have six inches of space for the radiator with a T5 gearlever coming out of the centre of the tunnel hole. there is plenty of space behind the engine as well. The exhaust manifold is a very tight fit between the engine and the chassis rails and There is no way it will fit under the standard hood. I will post photos as soon as I am able.
Philip

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: July 08, 2013 05:29PM

Philip, Curtis can help you with your photos, or resize them to meet the 600 pixel limit. (Seems to me in this day and age there must surely be an automated resizing app for photos, maybe one day we'll have one.)

Look at the exhaust in the MG-Roadmaster thread, you will probably be facing somewhat similar issues. Also steering rack mods both there and in my "340" thread. We lowered the rack significantly, to the point that the lower control arms had to be modified to clear. To date nobody has expressed any complaints about bump steer and I think Max would have said something if anybody did. We did modify (bend) the spindle arms.

It's a big engine, and heavy, so the challenge is rather significant. But see what you can do, we'd all like to see something new.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 08, 2013 08:20PM

Photo resizing and posting tips are located in the "Test Messages" section, which is the bottom-most option on the forum's main index page. You can use this shortcut: [forum.britishv8.org]

There is a handy and free online tool for resizing photos. A link is provided.

For reference, I've got this message board software set up to allow you to upload images up to 600KB in file size. That's way bigger than anyone needs for online viewing, but it's smaller than you'd need for crisp printed enlargements. Thing is, I've also got the software set up to display images at 600 pixels wide (max) when they're within threads. See the Test Messages section for more info.

waterbucket
Philip Waterman
England
(112 posts)

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Date: July 09, 2013 03:47PM

Here are the photos the first one shows the front view of the engine.
The second shows the gap between the engine and the bulkhead
The third is a crank level view showing the tight fit each side of the chassis rails

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 12:34AM by waterbucket.

bsa_m21
Martin Rothman
Vancouver, Canada
(216 posts)

01/06/2009 11:41AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7V8 Rover 3.9L

authors avatar
Posted by: bsa_m21
Date: July 10, 2013 09:44AM

What photos??? :)

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: July 10, 2013 10:46PM

Photos please!

waterbucket
Philip Waterman
England
(112 posts)

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Date: July 11, 2013 12:46AM

As soon as I learn how to resize photos they will be posted , by taking them at 2 mega pixels they were 618 to 645 pixels just too big to load.
Pilip

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.