Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
TR7 upholstery
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 20, 2009 12:58PM

I've begun work on the seats for Edith's car. Like most cars this old, the upholstery is faded and torn, the cushions are worn out and the diaphragms and webbing is old, stretched and deteriorated. Parts from TRF are quite expensive, and one could easily spend 300 dollars or more not including the seat covers. I decided on a different approach. Since she wants leather the single biggest problem is the seat covers. I do have an industrial sewing machine but there is quite a lot of stitching involved in making them up from scratch, and my lines aren't that straight. Plus there's the matter of getting the leather in the first place. Time to get creative.

At Pep Boys I found some black leather slip covers for bucket seats with removable headrests for $70 each. A good start, you can't hardly buy the leather for that much and most of the stitching is already done. The seat bottom portion is slightly oversized but definitely usable. The headrest piece may need some vinyl to make up the sides or back. So far so good.

Disassembling the passenger's side seat, I found that the seat back used 1/2" and 1" foam rubber of two different densities. The seat bottom is a typical formed cushion. Luckily there is a company across the river who specialize in foam rubber, urethane foam, etc and they sell 1/4 sheets. A quarter sheet each of 1/2" high density, 1" and about 3" should work nicely. I can laminate the 1/2" where I need the 1" thickness of the higher density. I'll have to buy an electric carving knife to shape the seat bottom. (Too bad I didn't keep the one I had, I was not aware of this use at the time.)

That leaves the seat diaphragms and webbing. The local piece goods store carries the webbing, though in a different type and not cut to length. I think that will work fine. It would work for the bottom as well but I may decide to just go with the standard replacement pieces. For that matter, I could probably lace the frame with a good poly rope and get decent results.

So there's the plan. Still have to price the foam and webbing but I expect the finished cost to be less than just the seat foams would have cost from TRF. Not bad for leather. Stay tuned.

Jim

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

08/18/2009 01:16AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7 performance 4 cyl

Re: TR7 upholstery
Posted by: TRip
Date: September 21, 2009 01:55PM

Hi Jim,

I believe that TRF also has leather covers but are pricey.

Are you set on keeping the original seats?

Maybe consider leather seats from a Japanese (ie Mazda Miata, etc) or Pontiac/Chev. I've heard that they are narrow enough and will fit easily. I think the seat rails can be easily adapted, too. Power seats???

This may end up being the cheaper option.

Instead of spending all that time running around for foam etc and then cutting, sewing and putting it all together, it may be easier to adapt replacement leather seats from another vehicle.

Also, I believe a lot of the leather slip ons are made in China so quality, stiching and durability may be a factor. And, Are they real leather, fake leather or a combination?

Trip

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

08/18/2009 01:16AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7 performance 4 cyl

Re: TR7 upholstery
Posted by: TRip
Date: September 21, 2009 02:24PM

Jim, check these out.

[forum.britishv8.org]

[forum.britishv8.org]

Trip

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 03:41PM by TRip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.