Project Journals

create a diary for your project and show us your progress, with up to 100 photos!

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In


TR6-6SPD
Ken Hiebert
Toronto Ontario
(245 posts)

Registered:
04/23/2008 11:43AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1994 5.7 L GM LT1

authors avatar
Ken Hiebert's 1965 Jaguar E-Type with GM LS1 V8, "Part 7"
Posted by: TR6-6SPD
Date: April 04, 2019 01:09PM

Here is a link to "Part 1" of the project:
[forum.britishv8.org]

Here is a link to "Part 2" of the project:
[forum.britishv8.org]

Here is a link to "Part 3" of the project:
[forum.britishv8.org]

Here is a link to "Part 4" of the project:
[forum.britishv8.org]

Here is a link to "Part 5" of the project:
[forum.britishv8.org]

Here is a link to "Part 6" of the project:
[forum.britishv8.org]

Please note: The photos in this thread are displayed at 600x450 pixels. If you see a little box-in-a-box logo in the upper right hand corner of the photo, click anywhere on the photo to blow it up to full size - in a new window. This new window can then be maximized for a still larger image.

Lower rear fender repairs

These areas were rusted out, non-existent.
After installing the outer sills, I left these voids until I was further along into the fenders. Now was the time.
Left and right side, before and after:
2019_03_02.JPG

With the 1/4" rod firmly in place representing the fender lips, I formed a few fender shapes in cardboard to see what I liked and would work with tire clearance.
Shaped 1/8" rod:
IMG_6626.JPG

Cardboard taped in place:
IMG_6622.JPG

After finalizing the end shape, I decided to go with four small panels in the middle and two larger ones at either end. The five 1/8" rods would mark the butt weld lines with the end panels lap welded to the body.
Final trim and body prep:
IMG_6681.JPG

IMG_6684.JPG

Wheel at full jounce with 1/8" rod providing fender clearance:
IMG_6688.JPG

IMG_6693.JPG

Wheel at ride height:
IMG_6696.JPG

Now it was time to just fill in the blanks. I recorded the length and shape of each 1/8" dividing rod to carry over to the left side. The paper cut outs confirmed the panel sizes side to side:
IMG_6680.JPG

Front panel formed:
IMG_6697.JPG

Installed:
IMG_6698.JPG

Rear panel installed:
IMG_6706.JPG

Center panels going in:
IMG_6711.JPG

Finished for now:
IMG_6716.JPG

IMG_6719.JPG

With wheel at ride height:
IMG_6734.JPG

Left side done:
IMG_6725.JPG

IMG_6727.JPG

Inner panels
Several different panels on each side were needed to join what was left of the old inner panels to the new fender. It may have been easier to complete this when the body goes on the rotisserie but I wanted to get it out of the way.
Panels cut and installed:
2019_03_20.jpg

Doors

The doors on this car were in tough shape. After I removed the door skins, (heavy with filler and rust) I sent the inner doors, (shells) out to be acid dipped. This removes all the rust. Not much came back.

The structure of an automotive door is quite standard in the industry. You have a shell which the hinge is mounted to and it has flanges which the edges of the door skin is folded over on.

These door shells would need new hinge mount assemblies and flanges replaced where needed.

Door shell mounted as a test fit:
IMG_6744.JPG

Typical flange destruction, top front corner:
IMG_6745.JPG

Bottom front and hinge mount assembly damage:
IMG_6746.JPG

Hinge mount assembly removed:
IMG_6750.JPG

New assembly fabricated:
IMG_6751.JPG

Installed:
IMG_6766.JPG



Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 02:55PM by TR6-6SPD.


Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.